UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Old 12th Jan 2024, 2:44 am   #1
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Default BSR C109 Paint Colour Code

Hi
Before I go through the process of visiting paint shops etc, do any of you learned people have details on the paint colour for a BSR C109 deck base plate?
RAL code, nearest automotive paint etc? It’s the beige/grey sort of colour.
I’m looking to touch up a couple of chips and scratches on a player that I’m in the process of restoring to smarten it up without losing the patina/history.
It doesn’t need to be a perfect match (a difficult task with paint ageing, I appreciate) but something close would be great.
Thanks in anticipation.
Tim
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 8:32 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR C109 Paint Colour Code

I doubt you'd be able to touch this up without it looking obvious. Far better to respray the deck IMO. They came in black and cream/coffee colour.
Old 13th Jan 2024, 10:15 pm   #3
Cruisin Marine
Octode

The method I have used is to mix paints on an old plastic CD over, then hold it over the area you wish to touch up.
Good natural light is the best to use.
Even then, it will change colour after drying, usually darker (but not always), so I use cheap acrylic paint fom pound shops - which is far easier to remove and do again.
Old 14th Jan 2024, 12:47 pm   #4
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Thanks Gents
Asides from losing originality, respraying requires a total strip down to do the job properly IMO and even when cleaning decks of old grease (effective glue?) and relubricating, there is no need to remove everything from the base plate. I guess that one could mask off the area that will be hidden by the platter and blend the paint in to the rim. That said, my personal preference is to retain what’s there but improve it where I can.
I’m pretty adept at touching up chips and scratches on cars to the point where they’re undetectable and feel that I could use this experience on base plates as long as I had paint of the right colour. Indeed, on black base plates, I’ve done just that but black is obviously more forgiving than the cream/beige/grey base plates.
In reference to acrylic paints, my daughter has a real eye for mixing colours that dry to the correct colour - I’ve often used her skills to disguise marks on player cases - so yes, this is an option but I think that an automotive type paint would give a less detectable and harder wearing solution.
I’ll see if a local paint factor can scan a base plate and custom mix a colour, I think. I’ll report back on the level of success in due course.
Thanks again. Tim
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote