UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2012, 7:41 am   #1
Roger ZS1J
Retired Dormant Member

Default Talking Television

I must just relate an incident that happened on a train from Kings Cross to Enfield back in the early 60s. You know that in a railway carriage compartment, there is an unspoken rule that you do not speak to strangers. Well, the compartment was full and each minding his own business when a fellow chirps up and says "It says ere that 5 million people watched the soccer on TV this weekend. Ow do they know, they didn't ask me?"

Another fellow with a cloth cap chirps up and says "I can tell ya. Ya know when the picture gets all fuzzy, well its coz when you are watchin a program, your TV sucks power from the transmitta and they can work out from how much power is sucked out ow many people are watchin and the more that watch the less power for your set, easy".

Needless to say I was trying to contain my mirth.
Old 19th Apr 2012, 10:29 am   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Talking Television

I thought every one knew that. Nowadays instead of sucking the digital signal out it is metered out with no wastage, they have to know you have a tellly or they dont send picture I can't get Sky as I haven't told them I have a telly.
Old 19th Apr 2012, 5:36 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

They must also have to know your TV is switched on, else they could be sending out pictures which would be wasted!
Old 19th Apr 2012, 5:42 pm   #4
Brigham
Octode

They're wasted on me anyway!
Old 19th Apr 2012, 5:53 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I once had a dear old lady customer give me a very technical explanation as to why her television was taking such a long time to warm up. 'It's very old and I suppose it takes a long time for the electricity to get through to the 'burners'. I could recall loads of hilarious utterings from customers and not all from old ladies! John.
Old 20th Apr 2012, 3:51 pm   #6
Samba1360
Triode

Back in the late '70's a lady rung up the workshop to complain that her TV was showing repeat.
Closed Thread