UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2017, 1:56 pm   #1
Courtney Louise
Octode

Default 3D printing of vintage Radio/TV parts....

Hi guys,

not sure that this is the right section to put this in so if wrong please move..

In Feb 18, I should be receiving my first 3D printer capable of a 5"x5" print.

Has anyone thought of making LOPT housings or bushes etc using a 3D printer?

I might need some help with designing the item but if anyone wants to have a laugh with me and see what we can do maybe it will help some of you out.

There's lot's of 3D design software for free out there...

Courtney
Old 14th Dec 2017, 3:36 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: 3D printing of vintage Radio/TV parts....

While it may be physically possible to 3D print things like LOPT housings I'd be worried about the heat-resistance, flammability and voltage-resistance of the result, unless that is you have access to a range of different plastic 'fillers' and can select one with sensible characteristics for each job.

Using the 3D-printer to print a negative then using that as a mould to fill with something like an epoxy resin suitable to the task,then removing the 3D-printed part might be a useful alternative - what temperature does the 3D printed 'filler' melt at? If it's only a few hundred centigrade you could melt it out in the oven.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 6:14 pm   #3
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

I think it is a great idea for items like control knobs.
I have several from a KB ER30 which appear to have warped/melted!
To beable to print parts would be great but I have no 3D design skills.

For items that are involved where safety is concerned like plug housings etc then as said already caution over the type of plastic used would be needed.
There are people already 3d printing CRT mounting hardware.

As for printing 3d moulds that would be ideal for moulding.

I have tried to use 3d modeling software years ago but just couldnt get the hang of it.

Mark
Old 14th Dec 2017, 9:27 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I can think of one use for your 3D printer! I have a Sony cassette deck with a stripped gear that needs replacing, ok it's not very exciting!! I have absolutely zero 3D design skills, so don't know how easy or difficult it would be to do such a thing.

What type of printer is it? I used to work at a company that had a rather large and noisy 3D printer, it used a cartridge full of some sort of resin that set with UV light, and also built up some waxy support material around the part as it printed it. It used to take all night to print things! Some of the stuff that came out of it looked pretty damn good, most of the Prototype parts were printed on it, even some production stuff. I remember one mishap, the UV light packed up, but the machine continued to run, we came in one morning to see it with the bed covered in slime, and the print head whizzing back and forth squirting the printing material all over the inside of the machine! It took a fair bit of cleaning out after that.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 14th Dec 2017, 9:31 pm   #5
Courtney Louise
Octode

Hi Guys,

This is the one I have ordered.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ri/description

I won't know some of the details until it arrives but I do know it can print solid items and use multiple types of filament.
Old 14th Dec 2017, 9:37 pm   #6
Courtney Louise
Octode

This site is interesting for melting temps of the different filament types. Some are up to 320 degrees.

https://filaments.ca/pages/temperature-guide
Old 14th Dec 2017, 9:46 pm   #7
llama
Octode

In Rapid the other day the chap at the counter related how he'd had a facebook message pop up that went on to describe how we all can recycle our plastic waste into useful filaments for 3D printers. Sounds fantastic but my Google skills weren't up to finding anything useful in our more-or-less domestic situations.
Anyone else heard of such a thing?
Graham
Old 14th Dec 2017, 10:02 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Something like this were you looking for?
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0bc9cb0456484