UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2017, 11:40 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: Leak Troughline Stereo Tuner

"Sticky mess" is a bit of an overstatement - some people do have a very negative view of WD40 for no obvious reason. As has been said, it's just white spirit mixed with a bit of mineral oil. In its original application it would be sprayed liberally over the surface of the missiles, with the surplus allowed to run off. The white spirit would evaporate leaving a thin oil layer which would inhibit corrosion.

Lots of people are irritated by the way WD40 is marketed and misused, particularly if they've had to deal with the results. There's nothing wrong with it if it's used appropriately and sparingly. However, in most cases white spirit or light machine oil alone would be a better choice, and much cheaper.
Old 13th Jul 2017, 1:39 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post

Lots of people are irritated by the way WD40 is marketed and misused, particularly if they've had to deal with the results. There's nothing wrong with it if it's used appropriately and sparingly.
That is basically the problem. It has been thought of as a 'fix all problems' product and when I was in the TV trade involved with video recorders, the number I had to deal with where the owner said 'I sprayed it with WD40 to try and free it up' after having got a tape stuck in there was very high. The comment 'WD40' simply became synonymous with lots of damage/work to put things right or possibly (many times) a written off machine. However of course, it wasn't the fault of WD40 (I use it myself mainly for freeing seized items), simply the way it was being used. Even now when people say 'I used WD40 on it', I silently groan and fear the worst....
Old 13th Jul 2017, 4:59 pm   #23
Aubade65
Tetrode

Looking at some of the posts it would seem that most people use a WD40 spray (aerosol) whereas I am using it as a liquid (from a 5 litre container) that is applied with a brush. Stippling the brush removes the loose rust that can be wiped off before wiping over with a WD40 soaked cloth - more corroded parts requires a more abrasive cloth. This leaves the surface stabilised that is certainly not sticky and perfectly dry.
Could the aerosol version have a slightly different formula from the liquid version that will result in the different experiences?
Old 13th Jul 2017, 6:54 pm   #24
paulsherwin

It is the same formula. The aerosols encourage people to spray it everywhere, which is part of the problem.

The surface coating may not feel sticky, but it is oil and things will adhere to it. This may or may not be an issue.

If you only have access to the aerosols you can spray a small amount into the cap and apply the liquid with a brush, screwdriver etc.
Old 13th Jul 2017, 7:12 pm   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The WD40 I am familiar with (the Water Displacer one) contains some quite long chain hydrocarbons, leaving an almost waxy deposit on the surface. This is ideal for keeping water away, less 'ideal' when sprayed on a small mechanism.

The problem is that said WD40 product looks like a very light oil at the start, so people use it on clocks, mechanical cameras, etc. And once the lighter parts have evaporated and the heavier oils/waxes are left, everything is totally gummed up. If I have something to repair and can smell WD40 on it, I know it's going to be a very long job....

I call it 'Wanton Destruction 40'. I have a can. I use it. For keeping rust off the garden tools. Not on bits of fine machinery. There are better pentrating oils and certainly better lubricants available!
Closed Thread