UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2015, 12:24 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Playback of degraded VHS. Replacement sync insert.

I remember reading an article in the Practical Television magazine about various methods of improving the playback quality of degraded VHS video tapes.
An idea suggested was to employ the head control pulse to insert new frame sync pulses, these would replace the recorded frame syncs. I've never tried this myself but I'd reckon this would be a viable project. The 50Hz CTL pulse is almost coincident with the field sync pulse so no timing problems.

DFWB.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 3:19 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Playback of degraded VHS. Replacement sync insert.

Didn't a lot of higher spec VCRs do this?
Old 8th Apr 2015, 3:22 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Is this "timebase correction" or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old 8th Apr 2015, 4:24 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

You could play the tapes through a DVD recorder set to pause - the sync correction
can provide amazing results. Various devices were made to "sharpen" the picture using
hf boost, but these usually ended up with image edges having an "outline" effect.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 8:35 pm   #5
8 Tracker
Hexode

Nick, this is indeed timebase correction. I got hold of just such a beast a couple of months back and looking on the scope, it does an excellent job of replacing the sync pulses. It also provides controls for video and colour levels, as well as noise reduction (which is very good) and drop-out compensation (which isn't so hot).
Some professional machines had all this built in.
I would say it would be well worth trying and a very useful project.
Mark.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 8:53 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks Mark.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 9:35 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Certain ITT video recorders had ASO, not sure what the abbreviation means, but nevertheless it really improved the picture quality.
Was a ASO a Sanyo development?

DFWB.
Old 8th Apr 2015, 11:02 pm   #8
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I have a JVC VHS-C camcorder with time base corrector built into it, works quite well!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 9th Apr 2015, 12:40 am   #9
paulsherwin

I think JVC were quite keen on this and incorporated it into a lot of their models.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 9:36 am   #10
Nicklyons2
Octode

The drop out compensator will only work when an rf feed from the head amplifier is available. TBCs offering DOC almost always had a BNC or similar input socket into which off-tape rf was fed; the TBC detects the loss of rf due to the dropout and then repeats the video line above which it has in store instead of just showing the noise/shash.

Another 'proto' TBC is known as a 'proc-amp' or processing amplifier (to give it its Sunday name) and the related line clamp amplifier. These did the sync re-insert and reblanking but without the re-timing and storage capabilities.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 10:19 am   #11
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Certainly in a professional situation such as a studio where you have much more stable sources such as cameras and caption generators a TBC was a must for the VTR and especially helical scan VTRs.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 12:36 pm   #12
Nicklyons2
Octode

As 'Charlie' says helical scan VTRs, though amazingly stable for a mechanical device, couldn't possibly maintain electronic timing standards over the length of time of a TV field (1 head transit). The first generation professional VTRs recorded only 16 lines per head transit and could, just about (in the B&W era) be stable enough to sync up with a stable electronic source without a TBC. Helical scan machines which include VHS, Beta, U-matic etc couldn't be used in a fadeto/mix to/wipe to situation until TBCs became available although, in desperation, the most stable could be 'cut to' or 'switch lock' as RCA used to call it.
Old 9th Apr 2015, 6:29 pm   #13
8 Tracker
Hexode

Thanks for the info. I did find out about feeding in the RF direct from the head and luckily I have a professional JVC machine that has this output on the back. Even so, I don't think it is that brilliant. I can see it working if I pause the machine and move the tape to produce a noise bar. It is adjustable, but if I go too far, it makes things look even worse.

I have noticed that it does not like working with pre-recorded tapes. I presume the dreaded Macrovision is playing havoc with the circuitry.
Mark.
Old 12th Apr 2015, 10:18 pm   #14
Top Cap
Octode

One device, no longer made but may be available at some time on an auction site is the ACE.
http://www.gthelectronics.com/featurec.htm