UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:07 am   #321
ionburn
Hexode

Default Re: Radio Caroline to return on Medium Wave.

Congratulations Phil!

An interesting result observation, and maybe one which can be made use of - I listen to Caroline while busy in the 'shack' during the day on my comms receiver with wire aerial with few issues (although I think quality appears to have diminished since they went public), but get the usual foreign station interference coming in towards dark. If I then change to a consumer transistor set there is far less interference. I think that is down to directionality. Has anyone any opinions / experience as to whether the interfering signal(s) could be minimised or cancelled out?
ionburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:13 am   #322
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I get similar results, Ian, and my best reception is on a Grundig transistor portable. I have no doubt that this is due to the directional properties of the ferrite rod aerial. Another idea is a MW frame aerial, of which there are many DIY designs on the web. I used one decades ago (when Caroline was new!) and found its performance excellent.

"Never let anything digital know you are in a hurry"

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 10th Feb 2018 at 10:13 am. Reason: Clarification
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2018, 11:01 am   #323
llama
Heptode

10 or more years ago I had the need to receive a weak medium wave signal in an electrically-noisy environment (near the server that was to stream that signal) and, having tried several radios and tuners, the best I found was a fairly nondescript transistor portable with its output fed through a 1:1 transformer to allow it to "float" with respect to the unbalanced input of the server's sound card.
Graham
Old 10th Feb 2018, 7:38 pm   #324
ionburn
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
I get similar results, Ian, and my best reception is on a Grundig transistor portable. I have no doubt that this is due to the directional properties of the ferrite rod aerial. Another idea is a MW frame aerial, of which there are many DIY designs on the web. I used one decades ago (when Caroline was new!) and found its performance excellent.
I do have a large frame aerial, which is often superior to my long wire, even though several feet lower. The only issue with it is it's size. I cannot easily rotate it in my room more than twenty or so degrees. I think I will experiment with ferrite rods.
ionburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:21 pm   #325
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned a commercially-manufactured desk top frame aerial known as the Tecsun AN200 for MW, currently available from various online sources for around 20. There are also several DIY designs out there, and (if the videos posted on YouTube are to believed) they work very well. These are much smaller than the traditional MW loop.

"Never let anything digital know you are in a hurry"
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2018, 9:56 am   #326
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

I treated myself to the Tecsun AN200 loop as a Christmas present to myself. I am quite surprised how well it works on my small Wien 2 transistor radio it enhances some of the weaker local signals and on my more sensitive radios it does help to pull in some of the more distant weaker stations. I have also found that by using the directional properties of both the radios ferrite rod aerial and the AN200 loop you can seriously reduce co channel interference of the required signal be it a local station such as Absolute on 1215 or a weaker signal that's buried with co channel or local electronic noise which is such a problem these days.