UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2018, 5:32 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Octode

Default Brief access to a Reel-to-Reel; Oxon

I discarded my reel-to-reel tape machine 40 years ago, but I still have a single 3” reel of tape and I’m not sure what is on it, but I’d like to know. I think it is a conversation after a death in the family in the 1960's .

Is there anyone around north Oxfordshire who has a tape machine we could use to quickly check it out ? I don't need to listen to it all; just dip in to confirm what's there.

The tape (‘International Electronics’, acetate) is in its original box, has always been stored nicely and seems to be in good condition (no odour, not sticky or shedding from what I can tell).

Thanks

B
Old 20th Apr 2018, 8:58 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Octode

Default Re: Brief access to a Reel-to-Reel; Oxon

Going twice...
Old 24th Apr 2018, 11:11 am   #3
llama
Heptode

I've been wondering about this. Obvs much too expensive to post a full size reel-to-reel to you (and I'm guessing you don't want the tape to leave Bazz Towers) so I wonder if one of those little Japanese rim-drive machines might do it for you. I have one I could post to you as a loan but I don't even know if it works or not. Maybe someone else has a known-condition one.
Either way, this is a bump for your thread.
Graham
Old 24th Apr 2018, 3:24 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Octode

Thanks for the suggestions Graham. I'm pretty sure I know what's one one side and that has family 'posterity' value, but I'd like to know what's on side two before passing it on. I wasn't familiar with the rim-drives, but in the course of checking them out, I got to looking at reel to reel machines on eBay. Then I had the idea that maybe I could buy a "spares or repair machine", fix it, listen to my tape and then sell the machine at a huge profit . How could that possibly go wrong .

B
Old 25th Apr 2018, 7:26 am   #5
Craig Sawyers
Octode

I'm in South Oxfordshire near Abingdon, and have an old Ferrograph 4A in great working order. You'd be most welcome to come visit and listen to your tape.

Craig
Old 25th Apr 2018, 10:55 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Octode

Thanks for that Craig - will PM you.

Mods please close.