UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2018, 2:26 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default V15 Type III Right Channel not working

This cartridge came as part of a job lot with a VN35HE in very good mechanical order. Trouble is the RH channel is not working and tests with a multimeter show no reading whatsoever between the R & RG terminals. There is also a slight leakage between LG & RG when set on 10K ohms setting.
Research would suggest that these items become brittle with age and that many would suggest disposing of the item. Rather than just pursuing the latter I would like to at least make an attempt at a repair. In this the open circuit alluded to would suggest a dodgy connection somewhere rather than a component failure.
Anybody got any suggestions?
Old 26th May 2018, 3:09 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: V15 Type III Right Channel not working

Many years ago, I saw it advised to run a little solder into the end of the connecting pin, which is hollow. I haven't had the nerve to try this - you would need a very hot iron, perhaps some liquid flux and some serious heatsinking at the base of the pin to keep the plastic body from harm.
Old 26th May 2018, 3:37 pm   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I have heard of this problem with V15's in particular. There is even a question and answer about this on the Shure website.

http://www.shure.com/americas/suppor...roubleshooting

There is even one guy that I know rewinds moving coil cartridges using wire salvaged from faulty moving magnet cartridges - which again suggests that open circuit coils are not uncommon!

Now, in principle it should be possible to get in there.

First, the plastic housing comes off - there are YouTube vids about this, because people mount the cartridge body in a wooden housing.

The metal shield of the cartridge body must be adhesively bonded to the pin holder in some way. Nervous application of heat to the shield, perhaps with a hot air gun (to prevent melting the pin holder) should cause the shield to slip forward and out of the way, and expose the coils and pole pieces.

Now it has to be said that I have attempted none of this. But faced with scrapping an iconic cartridge I'd be trying to think of ways of fixing it.
Old 26th May 2018, 4:45 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

There was talk on this site a few weeks back about "post-sales support" for SHURE now they have stopped production? I think Goldring also offers a rewind service for their units.
Old 26th May 2018, 6:22 pm   #5
Bookman
Hexode

Well, many thanks to all of the responder's; its most appreciated. I had noted the hollow section of the pins but thought no one would rely on a non soldered connection - or would they?
Goldring it would seem do provide a service but there is a minimum charge of £300.00 which would render that channel out of the question.
This then leaves a PM to Craig about the guy he knows that rewinds cartridges as a possible solution or an attempt by me to rectify the situation. The fact that my eye sight is such that it now leaves me with a touch like a blacksmith suggest the former is a no brainer.
Incidentally, I tried out the VN35HE on a V15 type V and must admit it is a particularly nice piece of kit.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:54 am   #6
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Many years ago, I saw it advised to run a little solder into the end of the connecting pin, which is hollow. I haven't had the nerve to try this - you would need a very hot iron, perhaps some liquid flux and some serious heatsinking at the base of the pin to keep the plastic body from harm.
Problem fixed; that given below refers:-

Following a phone call from someone in the know (with thanks) it would seem that these cartridges were latterly made in Mexico and that the pin connections were not soldered.
This gave rise to using stiff solderable wire to insert in the end of the plugs and then check again with a multimeter on x10K. It transpired that 15A rewireable fuse wire is perfect for this and indeed for the trial and error exercise to establish which pin is at fault.
In my case it was the RG connection that was at fault.
Fortunately I have an appropriate soldering iron and tip as well as one of those gizmos with multiple alligator clips and a magnifying class. It was then a matter of ensuring that the wire was inserted securely with a good 10mm extruding and popping a bit of solder to the end of the pin to secure the wire.
It follows does it not that where there is a will there is a "way" rather than a "relative"
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 11:22 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Good show!
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 9:31 am   #8
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Oh well done! Why would Shure even think of not soldering the lead out wire?

The only possible reason is that they were concerned about the long term action of flux the hair thin gauge of wire.

Craig
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 7:33 pm   #9
sp10mk11
Octode

Defiantely an achievement! well done for taking the job on and succeeding, you must feel great about it.

Gary
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 8:50 pm   #10
Bookman
Hexode

Thanks Gary,
Yes, I do feel happy but lets not forget that it was an achievement by way of the forum. I was simply the channel.
Joe
Closed Thread