UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2011, 1:33 am   #1
finman13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Can you identify this?

Hello All,

I am trying to identify this object. Don’t know what it came off of and not sure if it relates to vintage radios or not but I’ll give it a shot.

At the moment this is the only picture I have of the object and I forget what the Pat. Date (info) stamped into the ring around the base is but I do recall that it is pre-1930‘s possibly from 1910-1920. On the face of the knob there is raised lighting bolt embossed within a square.

Any suggestions as to what this might be will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan_001.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	45646  
Old 26th Jan 2011, 9:34 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Can you identify this?

Looks to me like a dummy switchboard plug. It would be plugged into a switchboard jack to indicate that a line wasn't in service. Later versions were plastic and colour coded.

Alternatively it might be a shorting plug or disconnection plug (dis peg).

If it has a Patent No. on it you can look that up on the web and get a definitive answer.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 11:20 am   #3
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

I agree looks like a switchboard dummy plug, shorting plug or dis peg.

Reminds me of a the manual switchboard at Pirelli in Southampton when I worked for the GPO - I was always amazed that it was still there in the mid 70's!
Old 28th Jan 2011, 12:14 am   #4
finman13
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Graham & PJC58-Hythe,

Your observations put me on the right track, I located the pics with the patent date, Jan. 18, 1916. Doing a “Google patent” search with a focus on telephone I found the “Lawton & Spitzer” electric switch (see link).

http://www.google.com/patents?id=d_d...page&q&f=false

One other question....

Do you think that this technology could have been used for something else, such as a master key to an electronic lock box of some sort?

Just wondering & thanks again,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan_002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	45770   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan_003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	45771  
Old 28th Jan 2011, 10:16 am   #5
Station X

I remember the switches described in the patent, or at any rate something similar with a thin oblong shank. You pulled out the knob to make the contacts. The "plug" could not be fully withdrawn, but remained in place.

I don't think what you have is part of one of these switches though. The "plug" in the patent has a metallic tip, but yours has an insulating tip.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Jan 2011, 6:09 pm   #6
brianc
Rest in Peace

Could this be just a part of a switch, similar to those pull switches found in almost every home-built wireless from the 20s and 30s? The metallic ring closes the circuit when pushed in and the insulated tip breaks the circuit when pulled out. It's the contacts that are missing .
Closed Thread