UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2011, 12:17 am   #1
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default KT 66 valve base connections.

Hi,

Amongst some valves I have recently obtained is an Osram KT66 it is, however, separate from it's base. Apart from the heater connections is there any way of accurately determining what electrode the wires exiting the valve envelope connect to? Or is it destined for the bin?

Any help appreciated

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 26th Jan 2011, 1:26 am   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: KT 66 valve base connections.

No ! Please don't bin it ! If you follow the wires carefully as they pass through the glass 'pinch' you can see which electrode support rod each one is attached to.

It's clearer if you open the valve up. To save you doing this with your working (?) valve here's a pic showing one I dissected earlier. You can see the support rods which run between the pinch and the lower mica, some of which have wires connected in the glass. Unfortunately I've photographed this slightly from above, so I can't be quite certain which of the two thick bent outer rods goes to the anode and which to the cathode. But I think the assignments are, working across from the left:

Anode (thick bent rod)
Grid 2
Grid 1 (no wire on this side)
Heater
Heater
Grid 1
Grid 2 (no wire on this side)
Cathode and beam plates (thick bent rod)

Further support for this assignment comes from the appearance of the black 'fur' surrounding some of the wires in the pinch. I believe this is caused by electrophoretic ion migration in the glass and it occurs around the low voltage electrodes only (heater, cathode and grid 1).

The identification job is quite easy if your valve has an uncoated glass envelope. But a lot of the Osram ones had a grey coating on the inside which may well make things more difficult. A bright light can help, but you may have to fall back on an electrical approach. If you just power the heater the resulting space charge around the cathode will influence the potential of grid 1 which can be measured using a DMM. I don't know what to expect in an isolated valve but when plugged into a Quad II amp the KT66 grids go a volt or so negative after the heater has warmed the cathode up. This is a crude but handy test for emission from an unknown valve.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will be able to suggest ways forward too.

Cheers,

GJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Envelope removed 01 cropped.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	45645  
Old 26th Jan 2011, 6:09 pm   #3
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

GJ,

Thanks.
I was really sad to see the state of the valve when it arrived, and would really like to reacquaint it with its base and hopefully then check it on my valve tester.
I shall give it a go based on your info.

Thanks

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Old 26th Jan 2011, 6:41 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

If you've got a valve tester, then you should be able to work out which lead is which easily enough in a variation on the old "a transistor looks like two diodes when you test it with an AVO" theme.

First, find the heater connections; they will be obvious, as they will show a low resistance between them. Once the heater is warmed up, apply some low HT (via a suitable resistance; keep the current under 1mA) to pairs of pins in turn. You will be able to detect emission from the cathode to any grid or the anode. Once you have emission going, you will be able to cut it off by applying negative volts to any grid between the cathode and whatever is acting as an anode. The electrode where emission cannot be cut off by applying negative volts anywhere else must be the first grid.

-ve volts on G1 will cut off K-G2 or K-A.
-ve volts on G2 will cut off K-A.

Grids obviously don't like being used as anodes, so don't leave the valve in this state for long.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 7:04 pm   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I happened to have a line of them on the bench here so I've just checked a dozen both clear and coated; they are all as per GJ's notes above. It always seems to be possible to view the pinch even inside a coated envelope, because these only have a getter on one side and you can look up from the clear area near the base.

Lucien
Old 26th Jan 2011, 10:08 pm   #6
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Be very careful with the lead-out wires, as these can be very brittle, and if they snap off at the pinch, then you can throw it in the bin!,
I hope you do succeed in repairing it - definately worth the effort of a try. Tony.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 10:27 pm   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

I wonder why the base is off?

These valves have a habit of developing an internal bad connection that stops them working. Initially it could be thought that it could be a bad soldered joint between a wire and the valve base pins.
Perhaps someone took the base off expecting a bad connection and when he didn't find one he realised there could be an internal fault and gave up.

AJSs idea should give you a good idea of whether it will work before you go to the trouble of fitting the base back on.

I spent quite some time removing a base and then refitting it to no avail about a year ago and posted here to that effect.

Good luck,

Jim
Closed Thread