UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2011, 2:04 pm   #1
Andy - G8MNM
Hexode

Default Aladdin's Cave of TV & Radio

Hi,

Having put a wanted ad in our local Freegle (Freecycle) I was contacted by someone who was wishing to mostly sell on some years of rescued/collected electronics. I arranged to pop over this morning and take a look at what he has.
Quite a mixture of stuff including a couple of PET computers.
Having made a list of the stuff I was invited in for a coffee and we got around to chatting about old equipment etc. I mentioned that sometimes you here of folk who have amassed vast collections of TVs etc. That reminded him (Peter) that the owner of the local TV/Bicycle repair shop (which had closed down some years ago) probably still had stuff from the shop and wouldn't have thrown it out. So he gave him a call and arranged to pop across to see him in a few minutes.
Well he lets us in to his big store room first - well you haven't see anything like it. So much stuff you couldn't see half of what was there - a complete set Of Newnes Radio & TV Servicing books on a distant shelf. Old radios here and there poking out amongst the newer stuff, NOS valves (hidden from view). All manner of 'black plastic' TVs, VCRs etc.
Then the workshop again full of manuals, piles and heaps of TV Magazine on the shelves, an old 60s Ferranti B&W slimline buried in the corner and sad to see a round Ekco radio buried under speakers and other stuff. Drawers of components, boxes and bags of pcb modules from 70s and 80s tvs. boxes of old remotes and lots lots more!
Then on to the smaller store where he has 12 new/re-gunned colour tubes (probably PIL not Delta) and stacks of UHF aerials. A large floor standing unit that was used for charging accumulators.

So much stuff! His wife wants him to sort it out and clear it out. I'm not sure that he wants to part with anything though, I have his telephone number so I can contact him. Maybe he will sell a few items but not the round Ekco as he intends to definitely keep that.
No doubt there are more stories like this to be told around the country.

Andy

https://www.lushanda.com/
Closed Thread