UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2011, 3:50 pm   #1
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Softening rubber that has gone hard?

A recent acquisition of a vintage TV camera leads me to ask if anyone has experience of softening hardened rubber. In this instance the cue light dome, an old car rear light, is held in place by a rubber-gasket that should peel back to allow the red cue dome to be removed.

It has gone very hard and I am reluctant to apply too much force.

Has anyone any suggestions as to a treatment to soften it?

Vintage rubber is a tiresome product, if it doesn't go hard it seems to turn into a form of black treacle, impossible to remove from your fingers!

Thanks Brian
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 4:05 pm   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Softening rubber that has gone hard?

Sparse and frequent application of silicone grease well rubbed in, will sometimes revive degraded rubber wire insulation - so it could be worth a try.

Leon.
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 5:03 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Softening rubber that has gone hard?

Hi Brian,
Is it a standard round 50s Lucas car lamp with a chromed ring and glass dome? The same ones that the early "Daleks" and Morris Minors used to sport? If so, can you post some pictures. I might just have a usable spare rubber bit.
Cheers, Pete
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 10:47 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Re Pete's suggestion, you can get these:

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/364

or indeed these:

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/363

or even these:

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/part.phtml?PartID=841

off the shelf still.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 11:19 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I have been searching for a solution to this kind of problem too.

I recently tried soaking a rubber part in brake fluid (for about a week). It seemed to help, but it does seem to soak in so you end up with rubber that exudes the fluid for a while.

Other people have suggested things like WD40 - but this may be dangerous as it might continue to soften the rubber until the second problem that you mention occurrs.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 11:25 am   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Softening rubber that has gone hard?

Crumbs!
I didn't realise these were still available new.At reasonable prices as well. Mine were rescued from a 1966 Morris Traveller I used to own. It failed its MoT on wet-rot & woodworm .
Just thought: have you tried boiling them?
Cheers, Pete

Last edited by Tractorfan; 23rd Jan 2011 at 11:27 am. Reason: Suggested boiling them.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 11:43 am   #7
davehills
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
A recent acquisition of a vintage TV camera leads me to ask if anyone has experience of softening hardened rubber. In this instance the cue light dome, an old car rear light, is held in place by a rubber-gasket that should peel back to allow the red cue dome to be removed.
Have a look at your next local autojumble. A lot of old car lights can be found as NOS.
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 4:53 pm   #8
beamcurrent
Heptode

There is a picture of the lamp in question. It is fitted to a Marconi MkIII camera from the middle 1950s. Interesting suggestions, I think I might give the silicone grease a go.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5813 (Medium).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	45565  
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 7:01 pm   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Ahh..... it's not the typical Lucas rear light then, just similar in its domedness.

Still, if the diameter of the bottom of the dome is the same, I'm sure something could be done with the Lucas rubber, and fitting a chrome ring would snazz it up a bit
.........O..Chris....O
Closed Thread