UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2010, 5:01 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Big L - is it still on m.w ?

It just burst into life at S9 +10dB. Good to have it back.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 5:11 pm   #22
Sammyboy
Retired Dormant Member

great news, coming through here in Staffs too! Can't give you a signal strength though, not sure how that system works, will give it a google!
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 5:15 pm   #23
Station X

S meters are a pretty useless measure of signal strength. Most of them are uncalibrated and the reading depends on how good your aerial is. Useful as a comparison tool though.

My local "Gold " MW station comes in at S9 +40dB.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Dec 2010, 6:46 pm   #24
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I heard Big L very briefly for the first time around 4pm yesterday on my car radio. The Small Faces were playing Sha-Lah-Lee. The signal lasted about 10 minutes then faded out.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 6:11 pm   #25
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Dunno if Big L have upped their power or if it's the weather but I'm getting a cracking signal today here in Wiltshire on the car radio.
Old 3rd Dec 2010, 7:07 pm   #26
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Signal upto s4 on my Grundig Sattelite 700 tonight. But there are a few breaks in the audio and the audio when it is there is sounding a bit rough. Looks like they may still be suffering audio feed problems.
Old 5th Dec 2010, 4:03 am   #27
G0MEM Michael
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
The "listen Live" player seems to work fine from here:-

http://www.1395.eu/

Regards, Mick.

I'm just getting an error saying 'Missing plugin', but it doesn't say what plugin is needed. I've got Flash and Silverlight, This is with Safari, Chrome and Firefox on a Mac.

Website designers not testing their sites on anything other than XP with IE6 perhaps?
Old 5th Dec 2010, 9:38 pm   #28
telstar
Octode

Hi. I managed to receive Big L today. The signal strength was excellent here in Leeds, but it did fade a bit at times, and it wasn't continuous as there were some breaks in transmission.
It was also good to hear Swinging Radio England jingles on one programme (courtesy of an ex dj now working on Big L).
It is good to be able to listen to something decent again on the radio.
Cheers
Mike
Old 29th Jan 2011, 2:26 pm   #29
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Big L is on 1395Khz is off air again. I was initaially told via the Facebook group but listening last night confirms this. They said there is a technical problem but not saying anymore. I have replied asking them what the nature of the breakdown is but have not heard anything yet.
Old 29th Jan 2011, 3:25 pm   #30
Tazman1966
Nonode

Hmmm. The general concensus on the Digital Spy forum (not that reliable though!) seems to be that the financial plug has been pulled
Old 29th Jan 2011, 11:47 pm   #31
teetoon
Heptode

Hi guys, I regularly listen to Big L and can recieve it in the afternoons this time of year. I think it was wednesday when the transmitter was cutting in and out all the time, so made listening quite painful. I was listening on a Realisic DX 394 so could see the carrier just dissapear and then come back after a short while. Definitely not fading, so I assume after that it either stopped working or they switched it off soon after. I've not heard it since even late at night.
Hope they get it sorted as I normally have it playing most evenings. I spose it reminds me of Luxemburg with the fading and AM sound, and ofcourse the music is to my taste most of the time.

David.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 7:23 pm   #32
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Sadly as Tas has mentioned I don't think it will be back. Looking at Digital Spy forums there may be a remote chance of KBC returning but don't would not hold your breath. It could be interesting to see what if anything returns to 1395Khz.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 8:49 pm   #33
Richard675
Pentode

Full details here:
http://blogs.rnw.nl/medianetwork/page/2
Closed Thread