UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2010, 7:56 am   #1
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Equipment mains cables, flex etc

Having brought my old Tape Recorder out of it's hibernation, I was once again surprised at the flimsiness (?) of the mains cable, it seems that almost anything would be used in olden days, I remember my wife had a table lamp many years ago which had what looked like speaker wire from new, single insulated..

What strange cables or flexes do you have on your old equipment then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flex.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	38697  
Old 28th Jul 2010, 9:53 pm   #2
Line whistle
Hexode

Default Re: Equipment mains cables, flex etc

Hi,
Here's the pink mains lead on my Hoover Constellation vacuum cleaner. I think it's great that they colour co ordinated the lead to the machine.
Cheers,
Des.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3116.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	38710   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3117.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	38711  
Old 28th Jul 2010, 11:45 pm   #3
G8VAT Wolfman
Retired Dormant Member

That's like a Barbers pole. My constellation has Flymo orange cable ... I needed more range.
Old 30th Jul 2010, 8:46 am   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

single insulated wire was common in the 60s .Plastic ,either white or clear ,twisted ,or straight side by side .We has it t home .It was also used in my parents 60s house and still is for the light pendants from the ceiling rose to holder .I think it was used for table lamps lighting etc and wasnt meant for anything else .I have come accross that weedy grey stuff on things like tape Reel to reel machines too
Old 30th Jul 2010, 9:00 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I well remember the clear plastic twin flex, which was used extensively in days of yore.

The flimsy twin flex leads for shavers and some battery/mains transistor radios still currently on sale, which are terminated in a barely adequate figure of 8 plug, are none to clever either, and often go open circuit due to flexing at the appliance end.

Ironic that the 13A wall sockets into which these things are connected at one end are shuttered to prevent metalic objects being poked in, and the neutral and line pins of 13A plugs have for some years been shrouded half-way, yet these figure of 8 jobbies have open ends, which pose a danger.

David.
Old 30th Jul 2010, 1:45 pm   #6
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Anyone who has a fairly new Hotpoint or Creda washing machine will notice that the flex is thinner than on older machines, which would use 1.25 mm or 1.5mm. I'm told it is just the insulation that's thinner but I'm not convinced. I've had dozens of Dyson vacuum cleaners come in for repair with bare wires exposed where the flex enters the machine. I notice when working on old equipment that the pvc insulation is much more difficult to strip and have wondered if the modern stuff is made flimsy due to cost cutting in manufacture.

My father who was registered blind for the last 20 years of his life did manage to get a shock from a shaver cable that got damaged.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:06 am   #7
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

When I moved into this, then newly built, maisonette in 1966, the light fittings were all wired with cotton covered twisted pair flex from the ceiling roses to the bulb sockets. AFAIK this type of flex was in common use for light fittings back then. Anyone know when it's use was discontinued?
Old 5th Aug 2010, 12:16 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
AFAIK this type of flex was in common use for light fittings back then. Anyone know when it's use was discontinued?
Guessing relatively recently, if at all? When I worked for British Steel (thirty years ago) the same flex was about, a burgundy-coloured cotton covering, but the cores were brown and blue - so must've been upgraded for the new colour codes.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 1:44 pm   #9
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thats interesting I thought it had been superseded by the clear plastic twist stuff by the 60s for house fittings .Was it rubber or plastic inside? The later type angle poise lamp that was very common in most houses in the 70s , I have seen with variations of switch etc ,and one ore two including one i have was fitted with rubber cloth covered flex i assume it was an early version ?
Old 5th Aug 2010, 4:26 pm   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
Thats interesting...

8><---------------

Was it rubber or plastic inside?
Rubber, as I recall. I used a length for a morse key for a while - may still have it somewhere! I'll photograph it if so. It won't be the same perishable rubber as was used on the older stuff though.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 6:32 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

There is still available a reproduction cotton-covered twisted 2 and 3 core pvc insulated mains cable available for the more upmarket appliances, it's in the european harmonized colours and under the cotton is pvc. It's very expensive!

You could still get figure-8 table lamp flex well into the 70's from Woolworths etc.

It's still common in the US and sometimes comes in on grey-imported appliances that are dual voltage; I doubt they'd get approval here so should be changed by the dealer.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 10:42 pm   #12
Ekco-Scott
Pentode

this american company make cotton-covered twisted 2 and 3 core flex. http://www.sundialwire.com/
Old 5th Aug 2010, 11:03 pm   #13
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
I'll photograph it if so.
As promised... 16 strands, 0.75mm² CSA, O/D approx: 2.88mm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flex.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	38983  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 6th Aug 2010, 8:44 am   #14
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

It may still be the perishable rubber. Light rose fittings still looked attractive up to the late 60s .I wonder when they brought in the boring plain rose instead of the ogee shaped one? There was one later one , fitted here with ribs on the ogee. I forgot in my house upstairs are still a couple of roses with pendant fitting ,circa 1962 .They have plastic cable though.
That American link is very interesting ,They are good at reproducing things well .I have seen good stuff in
the way of reproduced house fittings , much better than we do here.

Last edited by chipp1968; 6th Aug 2010 at 8:54 am.
Old 6th Aug 2010, 12:57 pm   #15
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

These people sell the twisted flex:
http://www.kingschandeliers.co.uk/ch...accessories/10
Old 7th Aug 2010, 9:30 pm   #16
glowinganode
Octode

Dug out this from the junk box, flex fitted with 2 pin plug. Also in shot 2-way adaptor with sockets for a much smaller 2pin plug and a bayonet to 2pin adaptor.
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lampflex.gif
Views:	181
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	39062