UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2013, 10:37 am   #21
murphymad
Heptode

Default Re: NVCF - 12th MAY 2013

I have checked with the WEC management and there are still toilets available from the car park under the fire escape at the far end of the building as mentioned before.

I have also checked on the Ice Cream van which should also be there on the day!

I have heard from Guy Peskett this morning and the event is now full !!!

In fact he has two more bookings that we will have to find room for when we setup on Saturday.

So the hall is at maximum stall capacity. No more bookings can be accepted.

See you all on Sunday,

Mike...
Old 7th May 2013, 10:44 am   #22
SeanStevens
Octode

Due to the size of this beast:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=95710

I'm asking again, is there anybody interested from this Forum? I'm tempted to leave it at home - but it needs to be sold.

I'd hope to have arranged a sale before Ian and I have to lug it to the NVCF.

SEAN
Old 7th May 2013, 9:02 pm   #23
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes a great venue, home cooked food in the cafe and ice cream to top it all off. It really is good grub and oh..loads of super junk to cart back with you. Can we not pay £100 and get in at 8am? John.
Old 7th May 2013, 11:03 pm   #24
murphymad
Heptode

Ummm,

Super Early entry at 7am for £100 ? Now there's a thought.

Well it is a 'wholly' commercial event and all of the profits are given to the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum for specific projects...

Mike...
Old 9th May 2013, 10:22 pm   #25
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I too think the WEC is the best by far, quite a setting if the weather is good.
Looking forward to meeting up with those of you I know.

Cheers
Old 10th May 2013, 1:07 am   #26
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Myself and the wife will be there again - look for us in the car park having our customary picnic in the field with our vintage whatever I decide to take playing on top of the Vectra, assuming she makes it (the car, not the wife)...
It will cost us a full tank of fuel and 8 hours driving but I couldn't miss it, despite the sad fact that we can't afford to buy anything - sorry, I can't afford to buy anything - that's never stopped her in the past!! At least now I don't have the estate the consoles are a no go area
Realistically, we lads north of Watford really should get together & organise a bus - preferably driven by one of our brethren north of the border, that way can swig our duty free on the way down next year
Old 10th May 2013, 4:58 pm   #27
ianj
Heptode

Yeah, the price of fuel is seriously affecting my plans and journeys now; at nearly 7 quid a gallon, its a real bugbear. If I attend, I wont be buying anything I shouldnt think.
Old 10th May 2013, 9:34 pm   #28
Colourstar
Octode

Can it be a whole year since the last one? Really looking forward to catching up with those forum pals I usually bump into on this annual pilgrimage.

My main memory of last year is standing near a stall whilst someone's cash offer of £750 (seven hundred and fifty pounds!!! ) was declined by a seller asking an evidently non-negotiable £800 for a Garrard 301 turntable, minus plinth. I'm glad I don't collect things on that esoteric level. Good grief! I've bought cars for less than that.

Generally the most fun can be had towards the end of the day as prices plummet and a fiver will bag you the things that no one else wants to take home- generally wooden 50s radios. There seems to be an inexhaustable supply. Like plankton in the ocean they float forever between collectors' 'round tuit' piles.

Steve J
Old 10th May 2013, 9:59 pm   #29
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Steve and I will have our usual stall, I hope Forum members will introduce themselves as I am useless at remembering faces from one year to the next.
60 old John.
Old 11th May 2013, 7:14 am   #30
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I'll have to second what John says about introductions as umpteen members have said they've been there but I've never met many that I don't already know.

Name badges? I'll try to remember mine!

There's a strong reason for not travelling down singly as well, if you're quite a few miles away.
I'll be going M1 + M69 + B4455 and am willing to pick up anyone from one of the M1 services between Woolley Edge and Leicester Forest.
Old 11th May 2013, 12:15 pm   #31
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
There's a strong reason for not travelling down singly...
Indeed there is! It limits the amount of stuff you can bring back in the car.

Anyway, as the rain is now threatening to clear up, I'd better get loaded up with the boxfuls I'm hoping to get rid of on the bring and buy.

It is certainly my intention to wear my usual badge with not only my name but also my forum avatar.
Old 11th May 2013, 1:44 pm   #32
audiomagpie
Heptode

Local weather for the morning is dry with sunny intervals, so shouldn't be any problems with getting wet when queueing. Wind can get up a bit there though (I've queued outside for one or two events) so keep wrapped up! But always seems a comfortable temp within the hall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/cv31

Look forward to seeing you there!

Greg

BVWS committee chairman
Old 12th May 2013, 7:34 pm   #33
SeanStevens
Octode

To all organisers however great or small

MANY MANY THANKS

Great day as usual - get the weather sorted and a bit of tarmac in the car park and the world will be perfect.

Managed to resist two very nice bush portables - but did get some valves required for a sickly Zenith. Ian now has another boat anchor to pour attention onto

I was given a gift by by neighboring stall holder too - a day of meeting nice people and talking radios - now

Thanks again

Sean & Ian
Old 12th May 2013, 7:55 pm   #34
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I've just arrived back home. It was an excellent day. We don't have exact figures yet but are sure the numbers were up on last year. It certainly felt busy in the hall all day, and there was a steady stream of people at the BVWS stall when I was helping there.

Apart from pre-agreed trades that were just finalised there, I bought a black Pace Sky Digital box for £5 which will look better with the other black equipment than the current white one, a small flat panel PC monitor from the bring-and-buy for £3 which will be useful when sorting out PCs for other people, and a USB Freeview tuner/recorder for £5 (reduced from £8) at the end of the afternoon. That's three more things than I had planned to buy!

I also bought an excellent breakfast, which I had planned.

A brilliant day - as we have come to expect with the NVCF.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2013, 8:24 pm   #35
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Yes a fantastic day indeed, managed not to buy too much despite being in the land rover. Although I did come away with a box full of 20's early 30's technical journals for nothing. And an interesting thing that I couldn't leave for a tenner, just need to discover its purpose now. Can't wait for next year and I will be having a stall next time.

Jay
Old 12th May 2013, 8:27 pm   #36
thermionic
Heptode

A fantastic day. I thought there was generally more ' stuff' there.

I had a interesting chat with John ( HK short) whilst queuing to get in. Picked up an Ekco T161 TV for £40, an untested Mullard MW31 - 74 for a tenner, well worth the risk. Approx. 50, Z77 NOS valves for another tenner and lots of bits and pieces.

Surprise of the day, a Pye D18T marked up for £495 and a Baird townsman which was marked up at one point for a lot over £600 ! Really?

Thanks to all the organisers again and to Jim who helpfully started selling tickets in the queue outside which meant we all got in quicker.

SimonT.

Last edited by thermionic; 12th May 2013 at 8:42 pm.
Old 12th May 2013, 8:38 pm   #37
Brased
Hexode

I had a good day too and was able to find some useful bits which hopefully will help to reduce my 'to do' pile.

The organisation was excellent and the atmosphere very friendly. I used the train and the convenient shuttle bus. It's just a small point but the shuttle bus information on the NVCF website needs updating or deleting. The information is correct on the Warwickshire Exhibition Centre website.

My thanks to all those whose hard work made it such a good day out.

Edward
Old 12th May 2013, 9:12 pm   #38
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I too had an enjoyable day - apart from spending a whole hour inching along a two-mile stretch of the A46 Coventry bypass on the way down - though I can hardly blame NVCF for that. My main purchases this time involved plugging various gaps in my magazine collections. I actually came away with considerably less than I brought!
Old 12th May 2013, 9:54 pm   #39
bobbyball
Octode

Well my mate and I had one of the best days ever for sales, despite taking more than I have ever taken before, took some getting in from the car but worth it in the end.

A big THANK YOU to Mike and all the Team, plus the friendly and helpful security staff at the WEC, for making it a truly enjoyable (and profitable for all!) day...

the only downside (for me at least) is the "early start" : as people who know me wil say, I am "not great" in the early morning!!!!

Robert
Old 12th May 2013, 10:19 pm   #40
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Another good day out at the NVCF. I'm not allowed any major new stuff though came very close to weakening - twice - but settled for 5 new PL81's, a small box of thermistors, some good food and meeting up with lots of friends.

TTFN,
Jon

PS : SimonT ... you sure that Pye wasn't in fact a D16, there was one there at that price.
Closed Thread