UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2009, 11:35 am   #41
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: NVCF - Thanks for a great event

Fantastic day out, thanks to the organisers for a job well done. Great to see everyone again.
I managed to make off with some spare knobs as well as a bag of BVWS capacitors. Being short on space, I brought back a tiny Bambinetta early German tranny and a Roberts R66 (Thanks Chris).
See you all again at Harpenden next month!
Neil
Old 11th May 2009, 1:26 pm   #42
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

Just to echo everyone else, another excellent Fair, much to see and buy and I came away with a very attractive white Hacker Sovereign in full working order. Many thanks to all involved in the organisation of this event. Already looking forward to next years.

Thanks again

Ray
Old 11th May 2009, 3:57 pm   #43
SnowyDog
Triode

Thumbs up Re: NVCF - Thanks for a great event

I would also like to voice my appreciation for yesterday's NVCF. It was my first one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even the wife commented when we went in that for once I was speechless...

I don't wish to use expletives on this forum but I feel that I must mention my prize acquisition of yesterday... a Commodore PET...

Mods - I'll understand if you want to censor this post for unacceptable language...

Seriously though, I can't wait for next year's event! Thanks to all who were involved.
Old 11th May 2009, 5:18 pm   #44
f.cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Went to the event had a great day. Saw a few friends and talked to quite a few others. Did not intend getting much but did spend some money. Came away with some caps (bvws stand), 2 books, some magazines, 4 EL84s, RS Hygrade mains transformer (suitable for Mullard 5-10 when I get round to building it) and last but not least a Pye 691 IF strip if I need it when/if I resurect my colour TV from the garden shed. Its a pity the event is now held only once a year. A great event and many thanks to the organisers.

Best Regards

Fred (G0BYU)
Old 11th May 2009, 5:27 pm   #45
TNC
Hexode

I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers for an excellent event...and I would also praise the venue for good food, free parking and pleasant stewards...in this day and age something of a result.
It was enjoyable meeting up with Forum members and special thanks to Neil29 who kindly came up from Gwent with a FOC Bradford chassis Granada colour telly for me to struggle with!!
Trevor.
Old 11th May 2009, 6:10 pm   #46
Keith_B
Tetrode

Thanks to the organizers for a great event. I think this venue is better than the NEC.
Old 11th May 2009, 7:14 pm   #47
thermionic
Heptode

First time to the NVCF for me - and it won't be the last. A well organised event with ample parking and well laid out stalls. Thanks to all the organisers for their time and effort.

As with WB & Harpy, it is very difficult not to empty your wallet and fill up the boot. I collected a Pye 110 405 TV from Jayoldstuff ( thanks Jay).
A super little KB Royal Star from Dr. Watts ( thanks Dave) who has already made a fab job of cleaning it up - and even provided me a diagram and pictures on how it came apart! It seems I've got the easy bit now!

Bought some radio books, a box of 'odds & sods' a rather dirty Ekco AM/FM set for £3.50, lots of spare boxed valves (10 for a tenner) and various other bits. I looked at a HMV 1807 TV a few times , but when I had decided to part with my £45 - it had gone!!
On the way home, picked up a Bush TV62 that I had bought on Ebay a month or so ago from a seller in Somerset. All looks nice, VERY dusty inside - complete with original instruction manual - all for £56!!

So all in all - a very good weekend.

Cheers, SimonT.
Old 11th May 2009, 8:50 pm   #48
The General
Hexode

Yes, an excellent day, a good venue & without the parking fees that the NEC charge.
Came home with a grill cloth & a Mullard MAS97 complete with original instruction leaflet. I wonder whether its EFM1 is ok.....

Mark.
Old 11th May 2009, 9:27 pm   #49
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
John, shame about not doing your party trick. Maybe you forgot your hard hat.
Its was not the lack of a hard hat that put me off Jeffrey. There were plenty of wind up gramophones around but alas Y.M.C.A. was only recorded on 45 rpm..

Regards, John.
Old 11th May 2009, 9:28 pm   #50
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks from me too to the organisers. Nice to bump into Mike and Jeffrey on the bring-and-buy. An excellent event, as usual - found some Paste Polishing No 5, and spent some happy moments rummaging through boxes of knobs - isn't this a pleasure - but didn't find what I wanted. However I picked up plenty of other useful stuff including over 100 cheap 78s plus some 10" sleeves.

I agree with all who said they prefer the Warwickshire venue to the NEC. However I still miss the October event; the NVCF is too good to be just once a year! Having said that, I'm not in any position to complain as I can't volunteer to help organise it, so once more, well done to those who do!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 11th May 2009, 10:36 pm   #51
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi All,
I would just like to say thanks to Neil29 for very kindly bringing a Philips 550 all the way from Gwent for me and to Mikemushradio for very kindly transporting it all the way from the NVCF to Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Thanks also to Tas for letting me know about it in the first place and everyone who offered to bring it up to me if mike could not.
I could hardly have imagined that so many people would be so willing to make this happen!

Many thanks to all concerned once again,

All the very best,
Chris.
Old 12th May 2009, 12:25 am   #52
Reelman
Octode

Thanks to all involved for another great Sunday out - can we go back to having one in September as well please? Even better if it could be in the North, perhaps somewhere near Rotherham?

Thanks as well to those who acted as couriers/carriers for others.

Peter
Old 12th May 2009, 1:31 pm   #53
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Bit late in getting on this thread but I'd also like to thank the organizers for putting on such a great day, it was excellent!! It was great to see some old faces and new, I came back with ...... Ahem!! far too much than I should have but I've not got into trouble yet! Roll on next year!

Cheers
Old 12th May 2009, 7:28 pm   #54
Cre8anet
Pentode

..and belated thanks from a late returner-home!

Spent more than I should but that's always a good sign (and a bit on the museum table too - well done Dave & Jeffrey for that too!)

Finally, nice to see the display and the radio-operator going strong.

Best 73s!

D
Old 12th May 2009, 10:06 pm   #55
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
- can we go back to having one in September as well please? Even better if it could be in the North, perhaps somewhere near Rotherham?

Peter
Peter You will be pleased to hear a smaller event will take place at Lowton near Warington on the 22nd November 2009.
I would like to thank the organisers for a great day out. I agree with all those who prefer the Warwickshire venue to the NEC, no hassle /queuing for stall holders. John.
Old 13th May 2009, 7:20 pm   #56
Electrical
Hexode

I'd also like to add my thanks and appreciation for a great event. Also to thank Richard (Dickie) for the Gould 1604 scope, as we seem to have missed each other.
I have attached a picture of myself with eight 1604 scopes in the back of a Transit van about twenty years ago, checking the data on a Baker 32 channel waveform analyser, happy days and only 4 pay packets off retirement.
Many thanks to Richard and all the organisers of the event and Regards Stan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1604x8.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	25406  
Old 14th May 2009, 7:53 am   #57
Dickie
Octode

Yes its a shame we missed each other, the problem was having too much to see and do. There's always next year! It was a great day out - many thanks to all those who put in a lot of voluntary effort to make it happen.

Glad the 'scope has found a good home. Are you going to search for another seven to complete your collection

Richard, BVWS member
Old 14th May 2009, 8:59 am   #58
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Oh well - the ice cream van has gone and the car park is empty.
We've all filled up more of our sheds and garages than we took from there; time to shut the gates and start repairing them, and look forward to seeing you all at the next event.