UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2009, 10:02 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: NVCF - Thanks for a great event

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
I also bought two pairs of PC speakers (Philips and Sony), one of which I hope will be better than my current ones and the other I hope will be better than my housemate's speakers.
The Sony ones are excellent and on my PC now! The Philips ones are not that great but my housemate is using them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestgold View Post
I feel it has really settled into its "new" home and don't miss the NEC at all! The car parking advantages are great.
Yes, it certainly feels like home now. The hall owners really make us feel welcome too, and do all they can to make the event a success.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th May 2009, 10:03 pm   #22
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

A very pleasant trip - my first. Collected a Pye PE41 from DIN Plug Pete, transported by GJ - He's got the money Peter and he promised to avoid the pubs on the way back Also very battered old Pye from GJ himself, which I'll try to resurect. A couple of AVO Test Bridges from TNC (Trevor) and finally a splendid PSU from Chriswood1900. I resisted buying anything until virtually the last minute, then spotted an FOC Pye Service rack . I couldn't see him take it all the way back, so I made a donation to the beer fund and we heaved it out to the car. Thanks everyone for a splendid time. I even made it back in time for a prearranged family gathering so I'm still in good books.
Alan
Old 10th May 2009, 10:04 pm   #23
maitiustandun
Pentode

great stuff howard, im relieved about the sets , ive ben biting my toe nails all evening, talk about thrillers .anyway ill definatly see you all next year,
Old 10th May 2009, 10:04 pm   #24
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
......and a 12" round CRT for £5 .....
And worrying several of us (including John Wakely) by wandering around for ages with that bomb cradled in his arms. If he'd slipped, some of us would have moved faster than we'd ever done in our lives.

Many thanks to all who supported the Bring & Buy. Bringers and buyers and helpers. The Vintage Wireless Musuem is now a few hundred pounds better off.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:27 pm   #25
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I was good...very very good.. My purse remained closed...Pledged that I would refrain from purchases due to massive amount of junk back at base...Trouble is I came home with a present, yes a McMichael 451 radio and its actually rather nice. I think it was released in 1945 by the look of it. Totally original and dusty. That will be fun. Met up with some great Forum members and had a good laugh! The only problem was I put the elastic band around my wrist and suffered a haemorrhage on the way home and died. Oh well we all have to go sometime..See you all a bit later in Radio Heaven. Regards, John.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:31 pm   #26
Michael Maurice

A very enjoyable day out, nice to meet up with friends from the forum, put faces to names and enjoy your company.

I managed to buy the motors for the Revox A700 that I'd been after, bought a few 78's and a couple of 1970's Mullard data books.

I managed to contribute a few items to the bring & buy stall which hopefully will help the museum.

I'm looking forward to next years already.

Please thank the organisers for a fabulous day out.

Michael
Old 10th May 2009, 10:38 pm   #27
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Did anyone buy that console tv on a stall about 1/3 back from the bring and buy? I was sorely tempted. It went down to £70 when I left.

The other 1946 console tv at the back was absolutely lovely but at £750 I had to leave it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye1946.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	25339  
Old 10th May 2009, 10:49 pm   #28
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Yes the Pye was overpriced .
I had a great day . Nice to see some forum members who recognised me and at to at least exchange a smile and nod , thats always nice to do . Thanks to all who helped me with the exchanges of the forum courier service . I ended up buying an edison fireside phonograph of all things! ouch .. I didnt realise that someone is making new cylinders , so I couldnt resist the charlston ..
Old 10th May 2009, 10:56 pm   #29
Steve_P
Dekatron

Isn't it funny how I can fill the car without thinking. And that was before Mark the Mender's stuff.

Great day out, and Tom I's Roberts R707 sounds great! Got it on now. Roll on next year, when I'll be in a car with a bigger boot. Nice to meet people as always, but I know I missed some. Oh well, next meeting...

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:19 pm   #30
joe
Rest in Peace

Yes, a really good day out.
I donated a few things to the Bring n' Buy, which at least gave me a little more garage space - I can actually see the floor now! & managed to come home without buying anything to replace it although temptation was hard to resist.
A big thank you all those who worked so hard to organise it.

Joe
Old 10th May 2009, 11:34 pm   #31
ScopeMonkey
Pentode

Cracking day - another big thankyou to the organisers for making this event such a success. I think this is the first NVCF I've ever been to where I didn't spend all the money I brought but I did buy 3 scopes - a homebuilt valve job, a crudely-repainted-in-bronze-Hammerite GEC Miniscope for £5, and a Russian miniature scope, sadly solid state but I couldn't resist it despite that.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:45 pm   #32
Sound Man
Tetrode

This was my first visit to the event and I found it very interesting.
I only bought one item and that was a large 42” PA horn which amazingly still works.
Looking forward to next year.
David
Old 10th May 2009, 11:46 pm   #33
stuie319
Pentode

It was a belting day as usual
I was astonishingly well behaved and left clutching only a 6v6, ecc82, and the usual bag of caps. I'm still in shock
My pal that came along for a look-see bagged a denon vacuum desoldering gun the same as mine for a mere fiver the lucky so and so
Smashing event, roll on the next one!

Regards to all,

Stu
Old 11th May 2009, 8:15 am   #34
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello Jeffrey,
Yes it was the look on the proud owners face that worried me slightly..I was tempted to perform my party trick on that MW31-16 but was concerned it might all have ended in tears.. GREAT day out! John.
Old 11th May 2009, 8:31 am   #35
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I was happy about the amount of junk I shifted too. Brought a pile of stuff for the B&B and converted all of it into museum donations. All I came back with was a 'scope (pre-arranged) and a drum of cable. Plus a tape recorder for another member via FCS but I don't think that counts.

Took a cursory look round the hall and managed not to be tempted by anything.

John, shame about not doing your party trick. Maybe you forgot your hard hat.
Old 11th May 2009, 9:05 am   #36
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

I’ve got to congratulate all for a very good event – well done.

I bought the Dynaco ST70. I had to think long and hard, but temptation eventually got the better of me in the end. I’ve seen an alternative driver circuit for this amplifier using ECC88’s based on a long tail pair driver stage from a 1956 Wireless World, which I may try and fit to this amp.

Picked up the Video Gen (for parts) from the BB stall, and made a donation for the use of the stall. This Gen has a good Mallard ECC88 in with may be useful in the project above!

Terry.
Old 11th May 2009, 9:35 am   #37
ianm
Hexode

I'd also like to add my thanks and appreciation for a great event.

Unusually, I didn't buy any radios or TVs, just a copy of the BVWS DVD about Gerry Wells. A few of my unwanted items found new homes via the bring and buy stall, which was great, and I found the day to be a very sociable one.

Thanks again.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 11th May 2009, 9:54 am   #38
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I was very surprised that I only had to take one of my six freebies back from the B&B!

Terry - good to meet you, and you wouldn't want to carry that pattern genny very far.
Old 11th May 2009, 10:03 am   #39
ajs37
Heptode

just to add my thanks for a great day! thoroughly enjoyed it (apart from the drive home along the Fosseway - when I met the Badminton traffic!). Managed to buy a Murphy SAD94S, which has had a corner well restored (chassis unmolested) - very pleased with it for the price - and a couple of David Reads' excellent valve portables.

Also off-loaded a boot full of stuff to various people - thanks!

See you next year
Andy
Old 11th May 2009, 10:53 am   #40
The teleman
Pentode

A realy great day out , I have been going to this event since it first started & never missed one yet ! lets all keep this going , so many have fallen by the wayside ( thanks to online auction sites ) . As an avid tv collector it seemed a bit low on tv`s this time , not one dualstandard set But i still managed to fill the car again, PYE V4 & PYE PTV plus lots of parts , KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK , Many Thanks , Chris..(bvws member )
Closed Thread