UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2010, 9:22 am   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post adhesive

I have just finished repairing an old small fifties suitcase that had rusty and broken hinges and it was due to be thrown out, but it had that fifties style about it and a little chrome name badge similar to the Roberts badge. The fairly light rust was removed with Jelonite and a knife blade, the hinges repaired with nuts bolts and cup washers.

But the main task was to repair the tatty but nice blue paper interior. For this I used Wallpaper edge repair, it comes in a tube and is a thin white PVA type glue. This is also ideal for any paper repairs such as speaker cones, and Rexene coverings and is easy to apply from the tube. Usual makes are Polycell Solvite and Rapide.
Old 6th Jun 2010, 9:50 am   #2
OErjan_S
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: adhesive

any pictures?
I ask as I recently got hold of a case that I am thinking on restoring, it had a recipt with date of sale in a side pocket, 1?/1 1941, the ? is either a 3 or a 5 (sloppy handwriting AND smudged ink) as far as i know that makes the purchase either a Monday or a Wednesday.
I got it at auction and was thinking on making a plywood insert to fit my paraset, PSU...
Old 6th Jun 2010, 10:05 am   #3
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: adhesive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OErjan_S View Post
any pictures?
I ask as I recently got hold of a case that I am thinking on restoring, it had a recipt with date of sale in a side pocket, 1?/1 1941, the ? is either a 3 or a 5 (sloppy handwriting AND smudged ink) as far as i know that makes the purchase either a Monday or a Wednesday.
I got it at auction and was thinking on making a plywood insert to fit my paraset, PSU...
I'll try to take a picture if interested, it is just a small blue case called Spartan. Your idea of fitting the paraset could be a good one, makes use of the case. You will have to post a picture of that.
Old 6th Jun 2010, 12:49 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OErjan_S View Post
any pictures?
Here's some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	case1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	36677   Click image for larger version

Name:	case2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	36678   Click image for larger version

Name:	case3.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	36679  
Old 6th Jun 2010, 1:50 pm   #5
mickash
Hexode

Default Re: adhesive

It's quite interesting to come across this. My first job was at the Spartan Luggage Co. in the late 70s.

By then the linings were attached using doudle sided tape and the hinges, locks, etc were pressed on through the body of the case using lever operated presses. The outer covering was a PVC leather look material.

Michael.
Old 6th Jun 2010, 3:08 pm   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickash View Post
It's quite interesting to come across this. My first job was at the Spartan Luggage Co. in the late 70s.
Michael.
Hi Michael, Very interesting to know that you worked for the firm that made this suitcase, wasn't expecting that. I had the original rivets and would have liked to refit them but they where not straight and I couldn't then fold them over. As you point out they would have been pressed through with a lever press. The inside paper is quite delicate but good enough if only clothing was packed.
Closed Thread