UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2007, 12:49 pm   #1
D o i v e
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hacker Hunter RP38A mains power supply

Hello all. Newcomer here, recently bought myself a nice Hacker Hunter RP38A (nothing to do with GJR, honest!). I've been wanting to power it up, but PP9 batteries are not readily available around here, only PP8s for electric fences. After checking the archives I spotted a recommended 18V transformer from CPC that others have used with this radio. On receiving it, I've found that all of the plugs to fit the power socket are too big to get through the wooden frame to the deeply recessed plug in the radio. So my question is, what have others done to make it fit? An obvious solution would be to make the hole in the radio body larger, but I don't want to go cutting my nice new toy. An alternative would be to remove the plastic outer on the plugs. I'm just interested to hear what others have done.

Ta, Doive.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 1:45 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Hacker Hunter RP38A mains power supply

Hello Doive,

I shouldn't modify the cabinet of your Hunter as that will drastically reduce it's value ! I have an 18v PSU, no doubt similar to yours, but it came with the correct plug already fitted, see part way down this page ...

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/oldradioparts/oddsnsods.htm

I'm sure someone here knows where a suitable plug can be obtained which you can then fit to your CPC PSU.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/ba.htm

Howard.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Aug 2007 at 12:12 am. Reason: Defunct link and ref to cars removed.
Old 1st Mar 2007, 3:51 pm   #3
Colin
Heptode

Hi Doive,

I have a spare long-reach 2.1mm plug that you're welcome to.

When you wire it into your PSU remember that it's CENTRE NEGATIVE for the Hacker.

Rgds
Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker Power Plug Centre Negative.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	8479  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 15th Aug 2007 at 12:05 am. Reason: Removed superfluous PM and postal address reference.
Old 6th Mar 2007, 11:10 am   #4
D o i v e
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks to Colin, I received a suitable connector plug for the Hunter last friday. Finally got round to connecting it to my power supply last night and powered the radio up after many years in storage. No smoke is a good sign. Reception on FM is excellent, the sound quality for such a relatively small radio is excellent. I'm hugely impressed, the Hunter is easily miles better than my almost new JVC hi-fi thing (now virtually redundant). I'm really impressed, and very happy. Thanks to all those who offered advice and parts.
Closed Thread