UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2017, 6:20 am   #1
Damien VK3RX
Triode

Default Greetings from Dunnunder

G'Day all

Damien VK3RX from Australia here, located in a country town about 60km north of Melbourne, capital city of Victoria.

I've been interested in radio since I was given a crystal set at about the age of 6 or 7, discovered SWLing in my early teens and got my amateur radio ticket in 1980. I retired a couple of years ago after 36 years in air traffic control, so now I have more time to play radio

I'm a mod on an Australian scanning forum, and am looking forward to participating here and learning about some of your local gear.

I have a couple of Eddystone receivers, a 1830/1 and 990R. The 1830/1 I tune around HF with occasionally, and (sadly) the 990R tends to sit on ATC frequencies, keeping an ear to what's going on in my old work

Best wishes to you all.

Damien VK3RX
Old 20th Apr 2017, 7:37 am   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Greetings from Dunnunder

Hello and welcome!

It sounds like you'll fit right in. I got given a battery-powered valve set in about 1960 and found ordinary radio stations on long and medium wave, but the shortwave band had strange and elusive things. I was hooked. Things grew and turned into a career... 30+ years designing test equipment at HP, and now I design mode-S ADSB transponders. I retired when Agilent shut down hardware development and bulldozed the plant, got bored, and found another RF design job.

Receiver collection so far:
AR88 (no suffix)
AR88D
Eddystone EA12
Racal RA1217
Racal RA1792
Icom R9000
Icom IC765 (in pieces on dining table)
Icom IC7700 (in the shack)

Quite a mixture. All heavyweights in one sense or another.

All the best
David GM4ZNX
Old 20th Apr 2017, 8:50 am   #3
lesmw0sec
Heptode

G'day. Lived in Aus for around six years and know Melbourne. Still proudly displaying my old membership cert. of the IREE. Somewhere I have an old radio with all the Brisbane stations on the dial.
I enjoy messing around with both the old and new kit, but steadfastly refuse to touch anything with SMD's in - beyond my temper threshold!
Les.
Old 20th Apr 2017, 9:38 am   #4
paulsherwin

Welcome Damien. We have quite a few active Aussie and Kiwi members so you won't be lonely.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 1:07 am   #5
Damien VK3RX
Triode

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Radio Wrangler - OK on you designing Mode S ADS-B transponders, a device dear to our ATC hearts

lesmw0sec - Your mention of a radio with Brisbane stations on the dial reminded me that when I was 5 or 6 my family bought a new radiogram. It had a rotary dial for station selection, and it detached so that different state cards could be loaded. At night I used to swap dials and tune in interstate stations, no doubt driving the rest of the family nuts with static crashes and heterodynes

We didn't have a TV then (late 50's/early 60's); my mother used to rent one only for the school holidays in an effort to remove distractions to us kids. With radio, comics (including "Eagle" magazine) and books, there were enough distractions for me.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 8:27 am   #6
turretslug
Nonode

Hi Damien,

I reckon you'll like this forum, there must be quite a few of us here who got taken with a radio fascination quite early on. Playing around with domestic sets led to intrigue about that mysterious "SW" band on some, a kaleidoscope of differing languages, culture, news, opinion and outlook came in from thin air and got me hooked- that led to "what makes a radio good, what makes it better?...." and the discovery that old stuff with the much-maligned and ridiculed valves in actually worked rather well. Not that that blinds me to progress!

There are a couple of Eddystones here, a 750 as a compact HF set yet still with a number of technical plus points and a 670A for the LW that we still cling onto in this part of the world (plus general HF BC) without going to the bulk and expense of an 830/4 or 850. Plus an AR88D (surely everyone's got an AR88?) and an FRG100. Various pieces of veteran test gear and domestic radios.

This forum must be one of the best places for electronics theory and practical advice generally over a wide historical span, there are quite a few names here where I invariably think, yep, take what they've got to say on board, it's like a free, friendly consultancy.

I stayed in Melbourne for a month about 12 years ago, very much liked it,

Colin
Old 21st Apr 2017, 12:11 pm   #7
Peter.N.
Nonode

Hi Damien

Welcome to the forum. I too started early with my interest in radio when I was at primary school in the '40s, went into the radio/TV trade in '54 and worked in it for 50 years, mostly self employed.

Got my ham radio ticket in the '80s and regularly worked into VK for a number of years and have a few friends over there.

Peter
Old 21st Apr 2017, 1:44 pm   #8
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Welcome Damien, this (forum) must be one of the best places on 'tinternet, always friendly and no rubbish (thank you mods). However it seems you must like cats too! They seem to go with radio (a good drama playing on a set I have restored) a good technical book, a cat on my lap and a glass of ones fancy.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 7:54 pm   #9
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Damien, not sure if you get to Daylesford, but there is a good tool/ junk shop there as well as some sets on sale in the junk shops in the high st.
Also a couple of radio dealers in Melbourne suburbs

Fancy a link up next time I'm out there?

Ed
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 10:12 am   #10
Damien VK3RX
Triode

merlinmaxwell - not sure where you picked up we have a couple of cats - maybe another forum? Anyway I've loaded some shack pix to my album here, which should appear in due course.

Ed_Dinning - Ed, if one is the place in Daylesford I'm thinking of, it's aisles are very narrow due to the amount of stuff in the shop? I stay away from those places now - trying to cull my stuff down somewhat

I haven't been over there for some months. The last time I was passing through on my way from here (Woodend) to Ballarat, I had 3 close calls with 'roo's The scrub is very close to the road at some points, which doesn't leave much reaction time. With a new car I now dog-leg away from there. That said, the other day coming home from a friend's place nearby, a roo passed across about 100ft in front while doing the speed limit of 100kph, so the hazard is all around here.

Yes, drop me a line when out this way & we'll catch up for lunch somewhere
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 11:21 am   #11
yesnaby
Octode

I'm on holiday in Melbourne at the moment!
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:52 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Damien, will do. It will probably be early next year now.
I see there are at least 2 others in your area. Evan, another new member and Sue Butcher.

Yes the junk shops are a bit crowded and expensive. The tool store (sometimes elect bits) on the outskirts of town in an industrial unit has some good tools.

Ed
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 7:07 pm   #13
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Quote:
merlinmaxwell - not sure where you picked up we have a couple of cats
I didn't, just that we all seem to have some!
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 7:22 pm   #14
ColinTheAmpMan1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien VK3RX View Post
merlinmaxwell - not sure where you picked up we have a couple of cats - maybe another forum?
Aha, the cats and dogs reference is Merlin's signature.... But he is quite right in saying that we all seem to have cats. You can see ours sitting on top of my Tektronix 7623A 'scope in my avatar. Her name is Talulah. She is probably the nosiest cat in the world and I have to be careful when working on HT stuff to make sure she doesn't poke her nose in.

Welcome to the forum.
Colin.
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 3:01 am   #15
Damien VK3RX
Triode

Quote:
I have to be careful when working on HT stuff to make sure she doesn't poke her nose in
And watch hot soldering irons
Old 23rd Apr 2017, 9:01 am   #16
Damien VK3RX
Triode

I had a collection of vintage radios dating from the 20's and 30's, most of which are pictured on my website on the Antique Radio page. Also at various times Drake & Collins amateur radio gear, but over the last few years I've tended to cull things down a bit. Making more room, for I don't know what yet
Closed Thread