UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:20 am   #1
SeanStevens
Octode

Default Telephone No. 710.

Anybody who has experience converting old phones to the new socket type? The task I have is to convert a 710.

SENA
Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:27 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Telephone No. 710.

Hi Sean,

See here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/t710.htm

Should be quite easy

Nick.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 10:31 am   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
'The task I have is to convert a 710.'
Proceed as for a 706 as shown here.

I converted a 710 that has two buttons: latching and non-latching. I wired the latching button as a 'bell-off' switch, and the non-latching button as a mute (secret) button. Just because they were there!

Nice instrument, the 710. Try and get a type 21 mic insert for it if you can.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 11:06 am   #4
SeanStevens
Octode

Thanks Gents - I had been to this site and it seems very comprehensive - except:

1. Mine has 5 wires (standard 4 plus and orange one)

2. I do not want to replace the wiring to the phone, I want to wire the modern socket back to the old BT oval junction box.

Phone has one 'blank' switch at the top. From the dial it is a 710 (plain dial, no printing at all) with outer ring bezel showing numbers and letters.

What I like about it most is that it came unconverted, with the old junction box connected!

SEAN
Old 30th Sep 2009, 11:20 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, it's nice to find old phones that haven't been messed with or been cobbled together from various different instruments.

I would just ignore any spare wires. There are usually several unused terminals on the bottom row which can be used to "park" them.

The obvious thing to do is to retain the original lead and junction box, and fit a short, modern wire complete with BT plug to the junction box.

Start by re-wiring it as Bob recommends for the basic dial phone, i.e. the 706, as Russell suggested above.

What does the white printing underneath say?

Nick.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 11:33 am   #6
SeanStevens
Octode

I'm at work now but will take a gander tonight at the printing.

I was hoping to 'spur' off of the existing box - so a modern phone could be plugged in if required, but the old 710 would be hard wired to the old wall socket.

Both solutions would work I suppose.

[]................()....................710

Modern.........old..................phone
socket..........socket

SEAN

Last edited by SeanStevens; 30th Sep 2009 at 11:39 am. Reason: diagram format errors
Old 30th Sep 2009, 11:42 am   #7
Station X

I'm confused I think we need a rough sketch of what your existing installation looks like and what you want it to look like.

Modern phones and old phones are wired differently. You can't mix and match. The difference is that old phones had the ringing capacitor inside ONE PHONE ONLY with all the bells in all the phones in series with the capacitor. Modern phones have no internal ringing capacitor inside them, they use a capacitor in the master jack. All the bells are wired in parallel with each other and then in series with the capacitor in the master jack. Of course old phones can be converted to use modern ringing arrangements.

Also remember that you mustn't interfere with the wiring of the master jack. You can of course use whatever extension wiring arrangements you like, so long as they work correctly.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 11:50 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Further to Graham's excellent advice, you could hard wire this to one of your existing extension sockets, but not the master socket, and not unless you "convert" it first (as instructed in the links above, but not bothering with a modern plug).

Should be good.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 30th Sep 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old 30th Sep 2009, 7:08 pm   #9
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
To use your 710 as a "Hard wired" phone as an extension from the master line jack proceed as follows -

Firstly extend some two or three pair telecoms cabling from the faceplate of your telephone service providers NTP (network termination point, i.e. the telephone line jack) wired Blue/White to Pin 2 Orange/White to Pin 3 and White/Blue to Pin 5 - terminate the other end of these wires on the BT52A (it may be a 35A which has six terminals) junction box that came with your telephone, each wire to a separate terminal.

Disconnect the line cord of your 710 from the telephone end and connect the wires at the junction box end as follows -

White of line cord to White/Blue
Red of Line cord to Blue/White
Blue of line cord to Orange/White
Terminate any spare wires in the cord on any spare terminals in junction box, insulate these if you do not have enough spare terminals.

At the telephone end strap and wire thus -

Strap T16 - T17 - T18 - T19

Strap T4 - T5 - T6

Red of line cord to T8, ensuring that orange lead of dial also terminates at this point
Blue of line cord to T5
White of line cord to T18
Orange and Green of line cord to any spare terminals in telephone (usually T11 to T15

If ringing problems are experienced substitute strap T4 - T5 with a 3k3 Ohm 0.5W resistor

As long as you wire via the faceplate of your NTP, or from any extension socket this should be OK. DO NOT wire direct to your incoming line terminations as this is classed as tampering with your service providers part of the network.

More information about NTP's can be found here

Regards
Andrew
Closed Thread