UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2018, 12:50 am   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Peak to Peak - RMS made simple

I`m sure that all the good techs on here are well aware that this is not exact but I have just been looking for a simple way to use my scope that has peak to peak measuring to get the RMS figures I need . There is a complicated way of doing it very accurately, and while looking it up and asking for assistance etc people wanted to just give me this complicated equation to go away with . Which , after some time I did figure out how to use , but there is a much simple way to get a close ball park value and its simply to multiply what you need in RMS by 2.83 and that will give you a close enough peak to peak conversion .

So if you want 300 milivolts RMS , the equation would be simply , 0.3 x 2.83 = 0.849 so when your scope reads 0.849v peak to peak , you have a value of 0.3001668286136894V RMS , which is close enough for what we are doing .

333mV needed in RMS = 0.333x2.83 = 0.94239 . That gives you 0.3331851797611952v RMS . So as you can see its a quick and easy way to get you there .

I hope no-one minds me posting this here , it was just something that was driving me crazy and when the penny dropped for me I thought it might be useful to someone esle .

This does depend on the wave you are looking at , this works for a sine wave . I dont know if it works for anything else , I use sine waves pretty much exclusively .

I`m sure this is common knowledge to most here , just posting for the few like me that was confused by the equations.

David

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 3rd Oct 2018 at 12:58 am.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 1:29 am   #2
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: peak to peak - RMS made simple

Most pocket calculators can do square roots.
All you do is multiply the RMS voltage by the square root of 2 to get the peak voltage and then multiply the result by 2 to get peak to peak voltage.
1.4 or 2.8 is usually good enough for the output of a mains transformer.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 2:02 am   #3
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

You may as well be speaking German bud ...lol...to me i mean not trying to be rude . I`m awful with maths .

multiply it by 2.83 , jobs a goodn`..lol

ahh i actually just figured that out ,

press 2 then sqrt button , then x rms then x 2.....ok i get that .....

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 3rd Oct 2018 at 2:27 am.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 6:09 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"you may as well be speaking German bud" The math's can be a mind bender but the more you use it the less scary it gets. I hardly ever use the P-P value when working stuff out for circuits, just the peak and RMS. I never use a scope to measure voltage, just use a DMM or an old valve voltmeter.

Andy.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 7:02 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Don't forget that all this is only applicable to sinewaves.

For other waveforms the factors can be quite different.

peak-peak to RMS is 2.8-ish for pure sines, 2.0 for square waves, can tend towards 0 for very narrow pulses and tends towards infinity for undistorted noise.

For a digitising scope, a peak to peak measurement is easy, but as a scope can display any old waveform a true RMS measurement would need a much large calculation involving every point on the waveform and would need extra controls to tell it over what part of the picture to do it.

Grandad told me how to understand maths: "You know those sums you do at school, the ones like 'if it takes eleven men a month to dig a trench 3' deep, 2' wide and a mile long, how long does it take for....?' Well, you tell me which is easier - doing the sum or digging the trench?"

Maths is a tool. Maths is a language, Maths is a whole world unto itself, but more importantly, it's a wonderful way of cheating!

David
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 7:52 am   #6
radiotechnician
Pentode

Old scopes had a graticule marked p-p and RMS.

A 2 uFd capacitor is connected in series with a 2000 ohm pot
and connected across a 12 volt transformer. Class is told
to adjust until the capacitor equals resistance voltage.

This fairly cements how the square root of two annoys them
when AC and capacitors are involved.

Hooking up a full wave voltage doubler does it for pp.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:44 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

The p-p and RMS markings on some graticules were only good for sinewaves, of course. But be careful, a lot of graticules have similar-looking markings for use measuring 10% to 90% rise and fall times.

David
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:47 am   #8
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Thanks guys , to me this is really valuable stuff.

I never really intended to get this involved with this when i started out . I thought oh I`ll get a few gummed up Sonys , put them right and it will keep me occupied but the more I get into it the more enjoyable it is. Eight months ago I wouldn't have known a transistor from a truck, but I've learned so much in short amount of time. I wish I had had the wherewithal to do it when I was in my 20's . Unfortunately life didn't deal me that hand. Hey ho, I'm making up for it now I guess.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 9:48 am   #9
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The p-p and RMS markings on some graticules were only good for sinewaves, of course. But be careful, a lot of graticules have similar-looking markings for use measuring 10% to 90% rise and fall times.
My scope has a peak to peak measure function so I get a number on screen rather than having to count the squares . it measures peak and peak to peak actually .
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 12:22 pm   #10
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Peak to Peak - RMS made simple

For sine-waves only: voltage being developed across a resistive load.
Measure the peak-to-peak waveform, volts: call it Vpp.
Measure the load, Ohms, that that waveform appears across: call it R.
Then the RMS value, volts is (Vpp)*(Vpp) / 8R
(That equation is derivable with a bit of basic algebra).

Al.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 12:32 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Peak to Peak - RMS made simple

For peak to peak to RMS just multiply by 0.353

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 12:36 pm   #12
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Al, you have a typo, numerically volts RMS is simply (Vpp*Vpp)/8. Dividing by R gives power in Watts. Of course, the volts are generated across the R.

I find that if using a scope, Vpp/3 is adequate especially given the likely accuracy of a scope and reading from a screen.

Ken
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 3:48 pm   #13
Alistair D
Nonode

If your scope has a variable control attached to the Y attenuator you can re-calibrate it to read RMS. Feed say 300mV RMS from a sig gen into the Y input then rotate the variable until the trace fills 3 divisions. Although the display still shows p/p the numerical value will be RMS.

Al
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 4:24 pm   #14
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
For sine-waves only: voltage being developed across a resistive load.
Measure the peak-to-peak waveform, volts: call it Vpp.
Measure the load, Ohms, that that waveform appears across: call it R.
Then the RMS value, volts is (Vpp)*(Vpp) / 8R
(That equation is derivable with a bit of basic algebra).
Ah. If you measure the rms voltage, whatever the waveform, square it and divide by the resistance, you get *average* power. It is the average power than heats the resistor. RMS power is certainly calculable, but has absolutely no physical meaning.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 5:21 pm   #15
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
If your scope has a variable control attached to the Y attenuator you can re-calibrate it to read RMS. Feed say 300mV RMS from a sig gen into the Y input then rotate the variable until the trace fills 3 divisions. Although the display still shows p/p the numerical value will be RMS.
OH thats really handy to know .... thanks
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 5:59 pm   #16
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Red face Re: Peak to Peak - RMS made simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambientnoise View Post
Al, you have a typo, numerically volts RMS is simply (Vpp*Vpp)/8. Dividing by R gives power in Watts. Of course, the volts are generated across the R.
Whoops! Of course, you are correct! Thank you.
Sincere apologies to anyone who was mislead.
When I wrote that, there was a little voice in the back of my head saying . . . "there's something there which doesn't sound quite right" . . . . but, like a fool, I ignored it
Hopefully, we can put it down to a 'senior moment'.

Al.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 6:04 pm   #17
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Isn't (Vpp*Vpp)/8 equal to (RMS Voltage) _squared_ (at least for sine waves)? The version given in other posts is dimensionally wrong for a start (the left hand side has dimensions of voltage^2, the right hand side of voltage).

Some digital storge 'scopes will display the RMS value of the input signal and they seem to do this by calcualting the integral of the squares of the samples, etc, so it will work for any waveform not just sine waves.
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 6:06 pm   #18
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambientnoise View Post
I find that if using a scope, Vpp/3 is adequate especially given the likely accuracy of a scope and reading from a screen.
Yes, and allowing for the possibility (probability?) of a less than perfect impedance match and most hobbyists will make do with Vpp/3.

Of course the other thing is that Google is awash with online calculators for just about any bit of 'radio maths' that you could think of.

B
Old 3rd Oct 2018, 7:26 pm   #19
Ambientnoise
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Isn't (Vpp*Vpp)/8 equal to (RMS Voltage) _squared_ (at least for sine waves)? The version given in other posts is dimensionally wrong for a start (the left hand side has dimensions of voltage^2, the right hand side of voltage).

Some digital storge 'scopes will display the RMS value of the input signal and they seem to do this by calcualting the integral of the squares of the samples, etc, so it will work for any waveform not just sine waves.
Yes, of course you are correct, the dimensions are wrong so (Vpp*Vpp)/8 does not give Vrms.

Ken
Old 4th Oct 2018, 11:24 am   #20
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Come on folks, let's not make this complicated for people.

LOL.
Closed Thread