UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2018, 9:28 pm   #1
bill knox
Hexode

Default Advance J2 Audio Generator

Hi all

I need one of two thing please:

What the secondary AC voltage is for the HT

or

2 A scrap Advance J2 audio generator, my mains transformer has gone to it's happy hunting grounds, it's smoking like a trouper- big time

If anyone has or knows the whereabouts of a scrap gen or knows what the secondary voltage so that I can start looking for a replacement, I would be grateful.

Could any kind soul please PM me

Regards

Bill
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 6:37 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Advance J2 Audio Generator

Schematic here - https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60414 it's hard to see the voltage figures but a lot of Advance sig gens have about 300/310v HT before the first dropper resistor ie R26. V4 is a EZ81, looking at the datasheet for a HT of 295v that would mean you need about 300v AC for the tfmr secs, so 300 0 300v,

Andy.
Old 3rd Jun 2018, 11:04 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

I don't know if this is relevant but the schematic for the J1b & J2b gives the HT secondary voltages as 280-0-280.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Jun 2018, 7:13 am   #4
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Do a search for "50VA R Core Tube Transformer" - you can get one that's dual primary with a secondary of 250-0-250V and twice 6.3V, enabling you to use one isolated 6.3V for the EZ81, and allowing for the regulation percentage, I think one of these'd get your J2 up and running nicely!

They mount on a flat surface and I think there's an inter–winding screen as well!

Chris Williams
Old 5th Jun 2018, 1:21 am   #5
Techman
Dekatron

I think the first question I'd be asking is what has caused the transformer to fail - short on the HT rail somewhere? I don't think these are known for transformer failure. You've obviously already disconnected all the output connections from the transformer secondaries, just leaving the mains input, and it's still overheating and smoking?
Old 5th Jun 2018, 11:17 pm   #6
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

Both Gordon J King in "Radio and Audio Servicing Handbook", 1970 ed., and C.A. Quarrington in CH. 6 of vol 3 of " Radio & Television", 1963 ed., emphasise that mains transformers should not run hot, drip wax or pitch, smoke, etc., if they're in good condition both on and off load, so if you've got a cooking one with no secondary leads connected you can confidently chuck it away!

However, if you don't mind an investment of about £60 send a PM to Ed Dinning – he does a first–class job of rewinds and did a super job of one from a Farnell DTS 12 scope for me!

(In fact I'll have to get him to make me another tranny as the first one he did disappeared with my last old car a year ago!)

Chris Williams
Old 6th Jun 2018, 5:48 am   #7
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Bill, I will have a look around. Can you post a picture of your txfmr? Dimensions as well. That will give me some idea.
Rob
Old 6th Jun 2018, 9:17 pm   #8
peter_sol
Octode

see post 4. I have a transformer like that. FOC but you would have to collect from Welwyn Garden City.
PM me if you are interested.
Old 7th Jun 2018, 6:51 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

No word from Bill, maybe he got sorted. For valve regulated HT Lawrence I think is nearest with 280v secs, 250v will be a tad too small Chris. If you ditched the EZ81 a sec of 0 - 220v ish will give you 300v. Something like a small isolation tfmr.

After the fault has been found of course, good point Techman.

A.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 12:21 am   #10
bill knox
Hexode

Hi Peter

Sorry I have not been in touch since collecting the transformer, just about the right amount of space to fir it, it works perfectly many thanks

Regards

Bill

Moderator - this entry can now be closed
Closed Thread