UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2018, 1:25 am   #1
PWH
Heptode

Default Sony CDP-101 how to repair?

Hi,
Thanks to other members I now have the service manual and I have an STK 6922 on the way and an STK 6922s. These are rare and expensive IC's and I don't want to 'blow them up' so was wondering about the best route to restore the machine to working order.
The story: I got this from Trade me (NZ answer to Ebay) assured that it was working. Opening the package it stank of urine and had obviously been abused. I cleaned it up, plugged it in and it had the sticky drawer problem which I corrected. On powering up again, I loaded a CD and noticed smoke coming out from the STK 6922. I understand a common problem. I have left it for some months and now returned to it to try and repair. I notice that there are some RS components in there too- so it has had repairs. See photos.

I am not familiar with this technology and don't have a scope. What would your approach be? Can you see any other obvious modifications? Can a STK 6922s be substituted for a 6922?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	160323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	160324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	160325  
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 7:59 am   #2
FIXITNOW
Octode

Default Re: Sony CDP-101 how to repair?

Sanyo STK6922 motor driver chips can be replaced with the more reliable Sony BX1201
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 8:30 pm   #3
michamoo
Hexode

The smell probably was not urine but some leaking electrolytic capacitors as some smell just like stale urine. I dont hold out too much hope for getting this 1st generation CD player working without knowledge of early players and test equipment .This model was not even reliable in the 80s if honest
Old 4th Apr 2018, 5:48 pm   #4
Studio263
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by michamoo View Post
This model was not even reliable in the 80s if honest
Never a truer word spoken! It was funny how the (European) Philips CD100 was smaller, cheaper, better and more reliable, that's normally what the Japanese do!

The two hybrid motor driver ICs are a regular problem with these players. Since they are just power op amps I replaced them with L272s, each 8 pin package contains 2 amplifiers which is ideal. All one has to do is to add is a simple network across each output to ensure stability, a 1R resistor in series with a 220nF capacitor does the trick. Pinning can be inferred from the service manual, which is really good for these. The circuit can be mounted on a little piece of Veroboard so its all nice and neat. Mine has worked with this modification installed for many years.
Old 19th Jul 2018, 12:24 am   #5
PWH
Heptode

Well I have now replaced the substitute parts with new original spec parts and changed one STK6922 The other is a Bx1201 fitted by others.

The machine powers up, the door will open, close, the clamp comes down I can see the laser try 3 times then the disk is ejected. The disk does not attempt to spin
I am reasonably sure it is a matter of setting the machine up but I don't have a scope. Does anyone have a photo of the boards which shows the positions of the pots? At least if I roughly align, it might start.
Thanks
Old 19th Jul 2018, 1:30 am   #6
PWH
Heptode

After adjusting the optical block start position the motor now spins, 1 comes up in the display then, as before the disk, is ejected.
Old 21st Jul 2018, 10:03 am   #7
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
The disc won't spin up till the optical block finds focus. If you can get it to spin up have a look at the S curve on the RF test point. The focus balance may be wildly out or even the tracking balance. Try setting up the full player according to the procedure in the manual. Sony recommend a full set up after doing the drive chip modification.

Oh I forgot don't use CD'r discs in these players or you'll shorten the life of the optical block
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 1:03 am   #8
PWH
Heptode

Thanks. I have set the machine up as far as I can without a scope. I have also found photos on the net of the boards showing positions of the pots. With minor tweaks to those positions, the machine now loads and spins up discs at good speed for a few seconds before being spat out. What should the PLL frequency be when idle? Where are the test points? I have set the voltages of the 2 pots on the audio board.

Thanks!!
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 9:04 am   #9
D Cassidy
Retired Dormant Member

Hello.
I would need to borrow the manual from a friend to give you the information you need.
I can't see how it is possible to set up a CD player without an oscilloscope. The RF pattern which contains the S curve is the most important thing to examine in the process.

Your player will be now focussing but not reading the TOC, this could be due to a low RF output, tracking balance maladjusted, PLL fault or even a discoloured or dirty lens. These early players have sensitive optics and believe it or not the coating on the lens can be ruined by cigarette smoke. Carefully clean the lens with a fine cotton bud in a dilute solution of washing up liquid, Sony used to sell lens cleaner solution which is dilute detergent.

Last edited by D Cassidy; 22nd Jul 2018 at 9:32 am.
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 1:51 pm   #10
Trigon.
Hexode

PWH, It's doesn't sound as though you have the full service manual ?

Both that and a useful 'Trouble Shooting Guide' can be downloaded from :-

https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/?...101&brand=Sony

Cheers

Old 22nd Jul 2018, 10:29 pm   #11
PWH
Heptode

Thanks for the replies. I do have the manual but it seems without a 'scope I am stuck.
However I will try the lens cleaning again and check the manuals in the link .
Thanks again
Old 14th Oct 2018, 11:58 pm   #12
PWH
Heptode

OK so I finally got a USB scope and connected it as per the procedure in the manual and the result with procedure is in the attached pic. However, how do I adjust RV406 with the disc spinning when it is underneath the set There seems no obvious way so hopefully someone has done this before. Also looks like I have made a mistake with my scope purchase as it does not seem to have an AC setting!
Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fba.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	170957   Click image for larger version

Name:	101.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	170958  

Last edited by PWH; 15th Oct 2018 at 12:00 am. Reason: forgot attachments