UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2018, 9:09 am   #21
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avo EA113 electronic multimeter (1971)

Well done, Phil, that should help people who have given up on troubleshooting one of these.

I think i'll stick with bakelite!
Old 1st May 2018, 9:16 am   #22
mole42uk
Nonode

Thank you Phil. That's a useful explanation of the operation of these beasts.

I will now have to re-visit my three EA113's and see if I can fix one of the two that don't operate properly.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 1st May 2018, 2:58 pm   #23
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Many thanks, chaps. These beasts are rather difficult to work on, requiring a lot of dismantling and reassembly to get at most of the components. I was lucky; the parts I had to replace were accessible without any dismantling.

Having used it for a while now, it's starting to become my go-to meter of choice. If it wasn't for the lack of bomb-proof 10 amp current ranges, I'd be tempted to ditch the Bakelite altogether! But hey, you can never have too many Avometers...

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Aug 2018, 10:28 pm   #24
Sinewave
Octode

Hello Phil,

I wonder if I may ask a question about the EA 113. I've managed to get hold of one at long last, however it doesn't appear to work.

When I switch on, the needle wants to hit far left, I can't zero at all or get any readings.

Do you have a rough idea of what the issue may be with mine?

Regards
Old 16th Aug 2018, 11:21 pm   #25
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Hi Antony,

It would probably be best if you were to start a new thread in the Test Gear section.

Richard ("mole42uk") has had a very similar problem with one of his EA113s. We corresponded, and it appeared that a transistor had failed in the DC amplifier. If you search for "EA113" you'll find the thread, together with schematics and, more usefully, actual voltages measured by Richard with the fault present. I'm not sure that he has found the cause yet.

For now, the first things for you to check are that both positive and negative supply rails are present and equal. Have you also tried switching to AC - what does the pointer do then? If it zeroes, at least the fault can be localised to the DC amp section.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 16th Aug 2018 at 11:34 pm. Reason: Clarity
Old 17th Aug 2018, 11:19 am   #26
Sinewave
Octode

Hi Phil. Thanks for the information, I shall take a good look. I won't be able to start a new thread (they just get locked), so I'll see what information I can dig out about this meter and see where I can go from there.

Thanks.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 2:00 pm   #27
AC/HL
Dekatron

As this is a success story, please start a new thread for this meter/fault.
Closed Thread