UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Aug 2016, 12:52 am   #1
Top Cap
Octode

Default Name the Telly

I was watching a usual excellent public transport film on Youtube and it showed a lost property office with a telly!

It is here:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx_l...#t=1857.837369

The telly appears at 18:07. The film is very nostalgic for me and I guess any other members of the Forum about my age, shows how much in control of our lives we were then as apposed to the control freak times we now live in.
I had to smile at the lads enjoying a cigarette on the train

But it's the telly, any ideas? Possibly in someones collection? Is it still unclaimed in the lost property
Old 8th Aug 2016, 1:14 am   #2
line sync
Heptode

Default Re: Name the Telly

The television is a GEC BT1091 from 1949.

Robin
Old 8th Aug 2016, 10:05 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Yep, even I recognised that one although I didn't know the model no.

Peter
Old 8th Aug 2016, 10:11 am   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cap View Post
The film is very nostalgic for me.........
And me, I watched it all through, thanks for the link.

It's interesting that someone managed to lose a TV in 1961, unless it was a bit of poetic licence from the director.
Old 8th Aug 2016, 6:01 pm   #5
Top Cap
Octode

Thanks for the info, the set looks very late 50's or early 60's and I was rather surprised to see it was from 1949. The pictures I have found for it seem to show the TV as being not very deep with respect to the 9" screen. From a technical aspect it looks quite intriguing.
Old 8th Aug 2016, 6:47 pm   #6

Perhaps it was the store keepers telly? 'Dropped off the back of a train'

Old 13th Aug 2016, 10:53 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

This must be the heaviest 9" table model ever! The Bakelite cabinet is very thin and I would imagine that many were shattered either in transport or service departments.
First GEC receiver to employ flyback EHT. It has a massive mains transformer for Heaters/HT.
Big problem with the 9" flat faced GEC tube. Not many with any emission left today. They suffer from developing a low resistance heater and O/C cathode. Capable of superb pictures when working correctly.
This one is so flat [not O/C cathode] you have to turn all room lights off and then wait a few moments for your eyes to get accustomed to the darkness. A faint shadowy picture can then be seen. I expect a tube will turn up one day. I could fit any 9" tube with mods but the mechanical aspect can be a problem. John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GEC BT1091.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	128662  
Old 14th Aug 2016, 9:54 am   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

There was a Philips similar in shape that weighed a ton as well, 663a? can't rember but it had two HVR2 EHT rectifiers and a huge mains transformer like the GEC.

Peter
Closed Thread