UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2007, 3:27 pm   #1
GJR 11L
Heptode

Default Bulb for Grundig YB210? (and Satellit 2000 ).

Hi all,

I just replaced the panel light in the YB210 as it's come back into bedside service and I like to fall asleep with its gentle glow that is always there when the mains supply is connected to the set's built-in TN12 PSU, this involved removing the chassis and generally quite a bit of futtering about all to replace one little bulb but, and here's the thing, I have no further spare ones and cannot find a source of these things.

The bulb is a slim, capless one like those found in some modern cars' instrument panels, but obviously isn't a 12-15 Volt one.

The bulb isn't specified on ERT sheet #1953, the one covering the set, and, with it being capless, I cannot simply look at the bulb itself as that has no surfaces big enough to print on!

I have removed the bulb from a Concert Boy to compare, but that's no help as it's identical, so no printing to tell me what it is.

Any ideas, anyone? I may not need another for ages, but now that the last spare is in use, Sod's Law would suggest that failure is around the next turn!

And no, the one I just put in didn't come out of a packet, but was salvaged from a scrapped set so here a blind alley, or not?

Last edited by Darren-UK; 26th Jan 2008 at 3:34 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 14th Feb 2007, 3:48 pm   #2
ronbryan
Octode

Default Re: Bulb for Grundig YB210?

John

My YB 210 service manual lists the bulb as 7V 80mA. If it's any use to you, the parts list shows its stores no. as 0900/3605/00. I can find no further info about it.

Ron
Old 14th Feb 2007, 4:27 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

My Satellit 2000 uses the same bulbs and I couldn't find replacements anywhere

I trimmed the legs of a 5mm orange LED, folded them over and it pushed perfectly into the bulb socket.

Using Ohms law I found a suitable resistor and placed it between the bulb holder and one of the supply wires....works great

David
Old 14th Feb 2007, 7:01 pm   #4
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thanks both of you for the information, I am particularly interested in the idea of using an LED in such an application and may well try that in one of my Grundigs for effect. It should look perfectly original too, given that nobody would question the presence of one extra resistor in there.

All the LEDs I have are amber or red, but if it'll go into the holder and come out again without brute force, then I could at least try it, nothing to lose and all that!

Hmm, Yacht Boy with red dial illumination...... Different!

Must try this on the Selenas too, their dial illumination is very hungry.

Sorry, had to edit this after reading Paul's post.

Would an amber one actually give a similar quality of light to the original bulb? I assumed that a white one would have been useable in there, if a little too white. Why think about a white one when David has already mentioned that he used an orange one? Simple, I have a handy one from a broken, single-LED torch, and it was either that or one salvaged from an old pc case.

Last edited by GJR 11L; 14th Feb 2007 at 7:06 pm. Reason: paul posting his reply as I was writing mine!
Old 14th Feb 2007, 7:11 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I think white ones would look too blue.

You will need to use a high brightness LED. There are always people on eBay selling these, or if you go to your local open market you may see LED keyrings of the right colour for 50p or £1.

I'll send you a few orange LEDs if you PM me your address. I can't remember the technical spec but I believe they are 3.6V 30mA. 15mA still leaves them pretty bright.

Paul
Old 14th Feb 2007, 7:20 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR 11L View Post
TAll the LEDs I have are amber or red, but if it'll go into the holder and come out again without brute force, then I could at least try it, nothing to lose and all that!
I think the amber one will be fine . Look at the base of the broken bulb and bend the legs of the LED in a similar fashion and it'll push in easilly.

When picking a resistor, check the voltage first. Don't assume the voltage is 7V, mine was about 10V . If it helps, I think all amber/orange LED's are all rated at about 2V @ 20mA.... well that's what I used for my calculations!

Regards
David
Old 14th Feb 2007, 7:31 pm   #7
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
When picking a resistor, check the voltage first. Don't assume the voltage is 7V, mine was about 10V . If it helps, I think all amber/orange LED's are all rated at about 2V @ 20mA.... well that's what I used for my calculations!
I find the easiest approach is to hook the LED up to a suitable voltage source via a pot and meter. Adjust the pot so that the LED is bright enough but don't take it over 30mA. The lower the current the better the reliability, and in most cases they'll be almost as bright at 15mA as at 30mA. Then measure the resistance of the pot and substitute a fixed resistor.

A PP3 makes a good voltage source in many cases.

Paul
Old 15th Feb 2007, 12:43 am   #8
GJR 11L
Heptode

Paul, I have sent you a PM about this.

I will post pics when I get around to fitting the thing, in fact I may fit a few LEDs to Grundigs, the Graetz trannies, the big Russians etc.....

Meanwhile, thanks once again people.
Old 15th Feb 2007, 6:42 am   #9
PWH
Heptode

Any chance of a photo? I have lots of bulbs including the grain of rice types.
Old 15th Feb 2007, 11:10 am   #10
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
I trimmed the legs of a 5mm orange LED, folded them over and it pushed perfectly into the bulb socket.
Sorry John, I made mistake . It was infact a yellow LED that I used and not an orange one... I was getting confused with my televisor project!

Please PM me your address if you want me to send you a couple

You might find this calculator usefull too, it's meant for multiple arrays but it'll work just as well for one. http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

David
Old 15th Feb 2007, 12:49 pm   #11
GJR 11L
Heptode

Thanks again all, Paul is sending a couple to get me started, that link is very useful David, I expect that I shall be making use of that far beyond using it for radio applications!

PWH, here is a photo of the original type of bulb, it's not actually bent, but the phone camera makes it look that way for some reason; rule for scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GJR11L 020.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	8266  
Old 15th Feb 2007, 6:17 pm   #12
PWH
Heptode

Here is a photo of the nearest I have 12V 1.1W 6mm

I have got some smaller ones somewhere. If you want a few, PM me with your address
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bulb.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	8270  
Old 26th Feb 2007, 8:27 pm   #13
Chrisw
Triode

Hi all. When I repaired my Yacht Boy 210 I used a sub min 6V bulb from Maplin which comes pre connected the base being a very small metal tube. The original bulb on my set was a push fit (contacts on either side of the glass) and the holder to which that connected was a 90 degree twist to lock affair. Basically I removed the metal contacts in the holder and fixed the metal base of the replacemet into it with a dab of araldite to offer retention but also removal if and when required. The holder was then re fitted as normal and locked into position with the reverse 90 degree twist.
Re the 6V rating of the bulb well it gives a yellow-ish light so its not un happy and when the set was fully reasembled is as good as the original.
The leads on the replacement were simply soldered to where the origianl was connected......Hope its some help ..
Old 11th May 2007, 5:52 pm   #14
Steve_Bell
Hexode

I've just replaced the dial lamps in my Satellit 2000 with "5mm wedge base lamp 6V 80mA" from RS Components. Stock no. 587529. Buy in packs of 10 @ 27p+VAT per bulb.

A perfect fit and very similar electrically to the 7v/80mA originals.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/se...ukie&Nr=avl:uk
Old 11th May 2007, 8:18 pm   #15
Tom_I
Heptode

I picked up a very nice YB210 at the NVCF, but the dial lamp had blown. Having read this thread, I decided to try a yellow LED. A 5-mm one with the legs cut and bent over fits perfectly in the socket, as mentioned above, and there's plenty of room to fit a series resistor behind the socket. Thanks for the info - it works fine, drawing only 10 mA from the supply.

Tom
Closed Thread