UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2016, 12:54 am   #1
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Identifying postwar HMV radiogram from vague description

I'm trying to identify an HMV radiogram that I remember from my very early years. A bit of Googling brought only frustration as I have very little info to go on. I couldn't say for example whether the deck was an autochanger or how many speeds it had. But having dismantled it, I can recall a few rather random details:

Wide, boxy cabinet, deck (left?) and tuner (right?) in top probably under full-width lid.
Deck motor drives a train of helical gears visible with platter removed.
Control knobs, poss 4 qty, fluted style not hexagonal.
Separate small chassis mounted low down in cabinet for mains transformer and rectifier, possibly also power amp.
Rectifier and output valves B7G types.
Elliptical speaker, possibly 13x8.

And that's it. I found a couple of models that looked sort-of right, but these boasted EL84s and I'm pretty certain about the output valves being B7G. Am I making this up? All suggestions gratefully received!

Lucien
Old 13th Feb 2016, 1:15 am   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: Identifying postwar HMV radiogram from vague description

Could it be a 1621 ? This has push pull output on a separate chassis with B7G valves, VHF/LW/MW radio, and EMI changer which has the helical gear 3-speed drive, and the 13x8 speaker. In an identical cabinet I have seen chassis with sw not vhf, and Plessey or Garrard changers, the latter badged EMI.
Old 13th Feb 2016, 8:49 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Garrard RC120/4H 4 speed autochanger from 1956 was badged as EMI for use in EMI products. Does this help? Edward
Old 13th Feb 2016, 8:52 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

A rough idea of the three overall 'box dimensions' would help?
Old 13th Feb 2016, 9:14 am   #5
Hartley118
Nonode

Gear drive sounds like 78 rpm. Could have been an EMI 78 changer. Was it cream or brown? Do you remember it using steel needles? Did it have an electric clock in the top panel?

Martin
Old 13th Feb 2016, 12:41 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Electrogram seems to have got it in one. I had considered the 1622 as a possibility, dismissed it because it has the wrong output valves, but overlooked the 1621 with its pair of N78s in the process. I was wrong about the 7-pin rectifier but that did seem a bit improbable anyway. It's ages since I saw an EMI autochanger in the flesh and didn't realise that was the one with the gear speed change, but it looks right in context.

Unless there's another model meeting the same criteria, the question is answered. Thanks to all who replied!
Closed Thread