UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2006, 7:51 pm   #1
Sam
Hexode

Default Weller Magnastat TCP-1

I bought this in town today from the stall on the Friday Market that sells old tools. It looked in good nick, the bloke said it worked, and I need a decent soldering iron. As lots of good things have been said about these Weller Irons on here I bought it. Now comes the dumb question...

How do you vary the temperature? There isn't anything on the base unit (which I have looked inside - just a transformer) or the Iron itself that looks to me like a 'twiddly-thing' to adjust the temperature.

A bit of work on the cable to the Iron, dress the bit with a file, and a new mains lead and I will have a handy tool. £12 well spent I feel!

Sam

P.S. 'twiddly-thing' is an engineering term.
Old 13th Oct 2006, 8:24 pm   #2
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Weller Magnastat TCP-1

Sam,

The bit sets the temprature - to change temp, you change the bit. If it is a proper magnastat bit, it will have a number stamped in the bottom (and be magnetic).

If not, the element will run flat out, and it will get very hot.....

Jim.
Old 13th Oct 2006, 8:38 pm   #3
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

To add to that; the number on the bit is the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit divided by 100. I tend to use a number 8 (800 degrees F) in fine pointy conical style for most stuff but have a big chunky screwdriver no. 9 for soldering car battery terminals and bits of brass and steel. I've some random 5, 6 and 7 bits in a tin but these don't see much use. I think 7 is considered "normal" but my soldering style is fast and very well refined so I prefer an 8

How it works: It works by using the Curie Point of the metal. Above a certain temperature it decides not to be magnetic. It cools down a bit and becomes magnetic again. This operates a switch; the switch turns the element (24V 45W usually) on and off. Hence "Magnastat" - Magnetic Thermostat. Simple, not much to go wrong, in my opinion these irons rock - been using one since 1986

Regards, Kat
Old 13th Oct 2006, 9:45 pm   #4
Sean Williams
Dekatron

A file? No, No, No!

If the bit is worn, then you need a new one - attacking a tcp bit with a file is a bit like attacking a Bonneville with a chainsaw......

Cheers
Sean
Old 13th Oct 2006, 10:00 pm   #5
jjl
Octode

I'd agree with Sean there.
One of the good things about TCP bits compared to those of lesser irons is that the bits seem to last forever, just wipe on a damp sponge, tin and off you go. I have some TCP tips that must be at least 35 years old and have seen lots of use with no serious signs of deterioration.

John
Old 13th Oct 2006, 10:11 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Exclamation Re: Weller Magnastat TCP-1

Soldering iron bit for a TCP-1.

A bit of advice (yes, pun intended!) . . .

DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, file the end!
The "business" end of the tip is plated over the copper beneath. If you file away - or even make a small hole in the plating - the copper beneath will very quickly migrate into subsequent solder joints, leaving a cavity at the end of the bit. The bit is then useless.

The important thing with these bits is always keep them clean - hence the sponge pad. And don't use the iron for making holes in plastic by melting. This causes non-recoverable contamination of the plating, and any further soldering with it will be impossible.

By and large, they are quite good irons for lightweight soldering. The only occasional problem is a bit that either won't get warm (let alone hot) or a bit that gets far too hot. The usual cause of this trouble is a sticky thermostat switch inside the handle. This 'stat is available as a spare part.

BTW ~ Note: TCP-1 = lightweight soldering. If you find yourself needing to do medium to heavyweight stuff, you need a much more powerful iron. Personally, my favourite is the RF-powered "Metcal" - will solder almost any chunk of copper - snag is, though, they are very expensive!

Hope some of that helps.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 13th Oct 2006 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Typo
Old 14th Oct 2006, 9:11 am   #7
Sam
Hexode

OK then, I won't file it! Sounds like I have been cruel to my three-quid iron from Durham market in the past then.

It is fitted with a No. 7 bit. I will get the cable repaired and see if I can tin the bit.

Sam
Old 14th Oct 2006, 8:22 pm   #8
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Wink Re: Weller Magnastat TCP-1

Just a last thought Sam - it's worthwhile getting a number 8 and especially a number 9, for those odd occasions when you need a lot of heat. Err, well, within the limitations of a 45-watt iron, that is.

Al.
Old 16th Oct 2006, 9:55 am   #9
newlite4
Octode

I have always used these irons at work and recently acquired one for use at home. The standard bit used at work is the PTAA7. I find it useful to have an armoury of other bits both large and small. For heavy work like soldering to chassis a No8 temperature bit comes into its own.
Neil
Old 16th Oct 2006, 10:58 am   #10
Biggles
Rest in Peace

One point to watch with these irons is that the bits can seize into the tube on the iron element. Remove the bit regularly to stop this happening. Otherwise a very good industry standard workshop iron. Now you just need a Weller Pyropen gas iron for portable stuff (and to warm your hands on when working outdoors)

Biggles.
Old 16th Oct 2006, 5:11 pm   #11
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

funny enough I bought one of these Weller transformers with a TCP1 iron at the last Harpendon, it works fine and the bit is good it just had the sponge pad missing, can anyone tell me where I can obtain spare bits and what the part numbers are, it looks like it came with a med bit, just had a look like Sams its a No 7 could do with one a little smaller for pc boards and one a bit larger good pun in there somewhere
Old 16th Oct 2006, 5:23 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

All the PTxxx series bits are in the RS catalogue. Or they were last time I looked which was some time ago.

The 2 letters after the PT define the shape and size. The number at the end is the operating temperature. 7 for 700F, 8 for 800F are the most useful.

I usually use a PTAA7 for PCBs and other fairly fine work.
Closed Thread