UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2016, 8:45 am   #21
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard SP25 Mk 3 Cartridge

If you research the playing of 78s, you will find that there are different stylus tips depending which period of recordings you prefer. Post war 78s, such as the good quality Decca FFRR type, should play well on the G800. Pye/Nixa also made Vinyl 78s with a low surface noise. Edward
Old 13th Feb 2016, 10:38 am   #22
ben
Dekatron

At91 = at3600
Old 13th Feb 2016, 11:32 am   #23
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you are playing post-war 78s - typically the very good Decca ffrr series - then the Goldring G800 78 stylus would be ideal. It will need a suitable tracking weight and of course the groove modulation of a 78 will load the pre-amplifier more. However, if you are going to play pre-war electrical or acoustically recorded shellac, I would take advice as to the optimum stylus tip size. Edward
Old 13th Feb 2016, 12:07 pm   #24
Growlerman
Hexode

I have the AT91 installed in my Dual 1226 and for a cheap magnetic cartridge it sounds very good. Richer sounds were doing these for about £12 when I got mine late last year. I believe you can get a 78 rpm for this cartridge.
I've never been a fan of G800/820 cartridges so I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a replacement stylus. I also wouldn't spend a lot of money on a cartridge for that deck certainly not something like an Ortofon 2m red.
Closed Thread