UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2017, 10:38 pm   #1
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Default No Power to Ferrograph Logic Super 7

Hi I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I'm trying to get my late father's Ferrograph to at least power up to play some of his old tapes. It's been in a cupboard for several years unused, I last used it about 10 years ago so have forgotten everything as to how it works.

I connected it up and nothing lit up so any ideas where to start. I've used reel to reels since a teenager but have done nothing technical.

It could be a no go but I'd like to give it a chance and sorry if I sound completely useless.
Old 11th Mar 2017, 11:24 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: No Power to Ferrograph Logic Super 7

The on-off switch is between the reels at the top of the deck, just above the speed selector. It's worth checking that the pinch roller isn't squidgy and still looks round - this and the drive idlers inside the machine tend to decompose, and if they have the machine will need work before you can use it. If the pinch roller has turned to goo, don't attempt to play a tape, but if it is OK, give it a go - and good luck.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 9:42 pm   #3
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for info. Friday I flicked the on-off switch and no light which I thought there should have been??

I've left it at his house due to the weight and it will be a couple of weeks before I'm back as it's 180 miles away, so can't check the rollers etc.

I noticed it has several fuses would it be worth replacing them. I didn't check the fuse in the plug either which I guess could also have gone. It just seemed dead.

I didn't put a tape to it, but I would have thought I'd have seen signs of life without them.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 10:03 pm   #4
paulsherwin

To be honest, I think you've got your work cut out here. These were good recorders but are very complex and over 40 years old. It might be easier to sell this machine as-is and have the tapes digitised by somebody else.

There isn't any point in just changing all the fuses, but you could certainly check if any have blown. Sometimes old fuses just fail through old age without a fault being present.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 10:28 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Check that the connections in the mains plug(s) are sound too.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 12:28 pm   #6
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks will check all.

We came across a packet of fuses with recording bits and pieces that were similar to the one I took out of the top of the machine, but this was a few hours later and I didn't have time to go back to the Ferrograph.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 1:10 pm   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

That is a bit ominous, packs of spare fuses may mean that it was popping fuses last time it was used. Don't blow too many, you could be doing damage.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 8:46 pm   #8
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

The one we removed looked like it had blown and we just put machine back were it had been. There was one packet that looked the same as the blown fuse but it was with all the other recording bits and pieces found afterwards. I have the manual so can check if fuses are the correct ones.

It's in the NE and I'm in Cheshire. Does anyone know of anyone who repairs Ferrographs? Oh for the days they were in South Shields, I remember taking a machine or collecting one for my Dad years ago and I cut my recording teeth on what I think was a Ferrograph 4 in the 60s! This one had a label with 1981 on it, which it turns out my Dad did with all his machines.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 10:26 pm   #9
Steve_P
Dekatron

Which fuse is it that blows/blew. Are you using a Fast Blow fuse? Might be worth fitting slow blow if is FS702.

If you need it the manual is here:

http://www.morphet.org.uk/images/fer...ogic7maint.pdf

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 14th Mar 2017, 12:57 am   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'm rather inclined towards Paul Sherwin's view in post 4 Caroline but it might be worth you having a word with Geoff Kremer of ServiceSound here in Bexhill if you are willing to make the investment on whatever level.

He is a Reel to Reel expert and his website has details re transporting equipment to him for repair. I recall the new [vertical] design Series Seven machines appearing in 1968 [solid state ie Transistor not Valves!] They were criticised for various reasons and didn't sell on the United States market. As one Website says, the later Logic Super 7 model corrected all these failings when it arrived in 1974 but by then, it was too late commercially

Geoff had a small shop in town at one point. He is a very meticulous technician. Repairs will not be cheap but that's how it is. He has a Bang and Olefson background but the website says that Ferrograph is one of his favourite brands. He actually refers to the Series Seven machines getting a bad press but says they can be readily serviced. There are rubber parts etc that may be perished by now even if it powers up but apparently, replacements are available! You've nothing to lose by seeking his advice-a very nice chap!

I've no connection with him other than he fixed a Public Address amp for my Festival Organiser son [paid for] and we used to swap bits and pieces between us [so that was cash free]. If he asks mention "the man from Lancashire". I hope this helps. You might wish to let us know how you get on.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 14th Mar 2017 at 1:15 am.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 1:08 pm   #11
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

Dave.
Thank you for the info. I'm unsure what I'll do just now, but if I can get some power to it that would probably be a decider. Other than that I may try to sell as is.

I found extra metal reels as well. There are some, I'm guessing, 10" tapes but I've not checked the content, the rest are 7" so would play on another machine and were probably not recorded on this one anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Which fuse is it that blows/blew. Are you using a Fast Blow fuse? Might be worth fitting slow blow if is FS702.
Steve
Just looked at the handbook and the fuse that was, I think, loose and which I took out to look at was the power supply fuse (the second to the right from the power cable socket).

As I said we put machine back as it was getting late and we'd done 8 hours of sorting stuff. Next morning I found some fuses that looked the same but had no time to check so left it for next visit.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 5:13 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

A difficult decision perhaps Caroline but if you are uncertain in your approach technically, you may be taking a risk after it has stood idle. You might get a reasonable price "as is" or perhaps not. On the other hand, if it was fully working, you could get the nostalgic/contemporary usage and certainly a good price if you then sell it.

I don't think there are many repairers around as it can be time consuming etc so I suggest you canvass as many opinions/quotes as you can find before going any further.

Dave
Old 14th Mar 2017, 6:45 pm   #13
paulsherwin

The big 10.5” tapes are probably NAB reels and worth quite a bit. Search eBay completed listings to get an idea of value.

Don't bin any old tapes or reels - they all have a value, and even if you don't want the bother of selling them somebody here will give them a home. You may be able to do a deal - the tapes as payment for digitising the contents.

Given that there are questions over the main supply fuse, that may well be the reason that the recorder isn't powering up. It may be something as simple as not fitting it properly.
Old 14th Mar 2017, 8:45 pm   #14
reelguy
Heptode

I'm not familiar with the Logic super seven but if it is the same as the super seven it might be that the selected speed and the equalisation switch need to be set for the same speeds.Otherwise it may not operate .
Just a thought.
The Logic super seven is more desirable than the basic super seven and as such well worth being checked out properly. Worth a bit too !
Peter W......reelguy
Old 18th Mar 2017, 1:25 am   #15
Steve_P
Dekatron

Any news on this?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 28th May 2017, 9:05 pm   #16
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

I'm still no further forward with this.

The fuse screw doesn't seem to tighten and I'm wondering if my father put in a shorter glass fuse than the original.

I've come across a box of bits and pieces and there is a longer glass fuse. I'm thinking I may try this. It is still at his house but I'm running out of time as we have sold so need to clear out.

Any thoughts on this or what the correct fuse looks like or indeed where I might get hold of one greatly appreciated.

There are a dozen or sew of the larger tapes.
Old 28th May 2017, 10:00 pm   #17
Radio Wrangler

Fuses come in different current ratings as well as different physical sizes.

Obviously one of the wrong physical size won't fit, but the current rating is VERY important.

If you fit a lower current fuse than is marked in the manual or by the holder, it will probably just blow too easily and your machine won't work

The danger comes if you fit a fuse of too high a current rating. If there is a fault in the recorder taking too much current, then too large a current rated fuse will allow too much current to flow and will fail to protect the things the fuse was intended to safeguard. This can cause damage and has been known to cause fires in extreme cases.

The correct rating of fuse which should be used is often printed by the fuse holder. The current rating of the fuse is imprinted in the little metal end-cap at one end or the other. You may need a magnifying glass.

Just because your father left a packet of fuses doesn'tmean that they were necessarily for this job, so read what it says by the holder (or in the manual) and what it says on each fuse.

Just to make things a bit more complicated, there are fast blow fuses and a few different grades of slow blowing ones. These are designed to survive a small surge, but to blow at the correct current if the current is sustained.

Lastly, old fuses sometimes just blow through their own age, without there necessarily being any fault.

So the general advice on replacing fuses is to make sure you fit the right type. If that works, then it may just have been an old fuse. But if the new one blows, then you have a problem which needs tracing and fixing before power is tried again. There is a fault somewhere and the fuse is doing its job of preventing damaging currents flowing. Think of them as safety valves.
Old 29th May 2017, 11:36 am   #18
caroline1
Retired Dormant Member

I have the fuse type correct as the manual says 1 amp and it is stamped on the top of the machine.

I don't have the Ferrograph manual beside me as I write (it's 200 miles from me ) but the diagram showing the top of the machine as you stand it upright has a 1 amp fuse to the right of the centre. Sorry I can't be more precise but I'll describe as I found it and my memory is spot on. All the other inputs are screwed up tight but this one was loose and wouldn't tighten so I lifted it out. It held the 1 amp glass fuse. This was about 5 months ago when I first discovered it.

Fast forward to a month or so ago and I found a box with a pack of fuses 1 amp some a bit shorter in length than others.

I'm wondering why the metal top won't tighten (sorry I can't describe things too well) and if anyone knows the size or length of the fuse.

I've not been able to give too much time to this as we are clearing a large house and this has had to take a back seat. I'm trying to leave the Ferrograph up there as it's so heavy to transport and also I don't have space for it at my house right now.

I've been told it can go to the auction house who are taking some other stuff but I'd like to try and get it powered up and maybe play a tape through it if I can. I've only about 4 days in a month when I'm going to be where the machine is which doesn't help!
Closed Thread