UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2015, 10:36 pm   #21
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Default Re: 1965 Schaub Lorenz 5001 Music Centre

the transparent leader is only at the beginning of the tape, the end is detected only by the cam gear contacts

please DO NOT attempt to adjust the cam gear unless you know damn well what you're doing... i did it and had to get the service manual in German and translate it, and even then it was a real pain to get it right again
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 1:19 pm   #22
af024
Octode

Hello David and Jimmyhaflinger,

Thank you for further clarification.

I don't mind saying that I'm really really apprehensive about adjusting the cam gear, but hopefully if I can see how it works, I should, with extreme care be able to adjust it to bring the leader into being upon a re-wind. My fear is that the rewind stop setting might affect the forward stop setting.

Perhaps I can somehow reduce the torque of rewind motor (by suitable insertion of a high wattage resistor or some such), just in case I get things really wrong. It might offer a bit of protection?

Hopefully there's a lot of leader in there ....

Thank you again,

Andy
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 2:38 pm   #23
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

there ain't any kind of leader at the end of the tape, the magnetic tape is just glued onto the hub with a few extra turns, be careful as it won't be easy to glue it back correctly if it gets torn off

if you need to adjust the timing, it's safer to loosen the cam gear contact bracket and adjust their position by a fraction of a millimetre so that the cam gear opens them slightly before or later, instead of messing with the cam gear itself

I would let the rewind motor alone, there's a carefully selected series NTC to limit its torque at startup to avoid damaging the tape, any alteration to this circuit may lead to unpredictable results, and with the heavy metal reels there would be enough inertia to tear the tape off the hub even at a reduced rewind speed
Old 5th Sep 2015, 1:57 pm   #24
af024
Octode

Thank you for further advice.

When I'm brave enough (and I have dug out some more bench space!) I'll have a bit of a go.

Does anyone know how much leader exposed upon rewind would be normal for these? Actually, that's probably difficult to judge on the basis that the circuit involving the LDR might well wind it back onto the take-up before the length can be judged! Mmmm

Regards,

Andy
Old 6th Sep 2015, 12:06 am   #25
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

it all depends on how well your machine's brakes are working

mine takes about 10 seconds to "play" the section of clear leader before the tape begins,

if the LDR fails the clear leader won't stop the rewinding and the machine will rewind until the timing gear stops it, if even the timing gear fails, then the clear leader will get torn off the hub, something you don't really want to happen
Old 6th Sep 2015, 11:31 pm   #26
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

What an interesting yet fiendish machine! Well done on getting yours working, Dave. What's the audio like on tape recordings - is it full FM quality?

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 7th Sep 2015, 7:57 pm   #27
af024
Octode

Thank you for your further info/advice.

So does the LDR (and associated logic) also initiate a stop end the end of re-wind sequence then (i.e. a stop once the leader appears), or does it cause a track increment when the thing goes back into play at the junction of the leader and tape?

It's just that mine doesn't actually reach the leader upon a re-wind.

Funny too, but the LDR on the circuit I have states LDR04 and not LDR05 (which is quoted for the record level circuit). Perhaps LDR04 is a misprint and it really is an LDR05?

Fiendish for sure Phil! Oh, and from what I've heard off the tap so far, it sounds remarkably good.
Old 7th Sep 2015, 8:37 pm   #28
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
What an interesting yet fiendish machine! Well done on getting yours working, Dave. What's the audio like on tape recordings - is it full FM quality?
Hi Phil, The recordings on this one are awful, fading in and out, AM recordings, mainly badly edited Top 20 type stuff. Even so I'd never record over anything. I have used one unused track to record some music from my ipod and does sound very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
So does the LDR (and associated logic) also initiate a stop end the end of re-wind sequence then (i.e. a stop once the leader appears), or does it cause a track increment when the thing goes back into play at the junction of the leader and tape?
The LDR should stop the tape from rewinding. The switch gear is there for backup. It sound like your switch gear needs adjusting, which is all covered in the service manual available in post #11

David
Old 7th Sep 2015, 9:02 pm   #29
af024
Octode

Thank you David,

Switch gear is it then.

Regards,

Andy
Old 8th Sep 2015, 11:22 pm   #30
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by af024 View Post
The LDR also stops the mech at the beginning of the tape when the machine is in STOP mode
Old 8th Sep 2015, 11:26 pm   #31
Jimmyhaflinger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave View Post
Hi Phil, The recordings on this one are awful, fading in and out, AM recordings, mainly badly edited Top 20 type stuff. Even so I'd never record over anything. I have used one unused track to record some music from my ipod and does sound very good.
just like mine, i love this kind of low-fi pop music stuff though...

BTW mine is also full of misplaced "stop tones", i need to find a way to disable the pilot tone circuit to be able to enjoy the recordings without having to keep a finger on the pause button to keep it from stopping and rewinding a few minutes into a track or even at the beginning
Closed Thread