UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2007, 2:56 pm   #1
jim_jobe
Heptode

Default Mat101

Does anyone have one or two MAT101s lurking in their junkboxes please? Or failing that are AF106s or 109s possible substitutes?I have a few of these.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 13th May 2007, 3:43 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Mat101

I don't have any and don't have a data sheet, but they were RF Ge PNP transistors produced by Plessey in the 60s. The production process generated lots of rejects so they were a popular transistor in hobbyist circuits. Clive SInclair famously used them.

What is the circuit? A wide range of transistors might work, including PNP silicon types.

Paul
Old 13th May 2007, 6:38 pm   #3
jim_jobe
Heptode

Hi Paul,
You're right about the rejects - I have some of those. They work well in OC44 type reflex circuits but I want to try some of Sir Douglas Hall's designs and I think the rejects' gains at low collector currents is too low for most of those -that's why I want some full spec. devices. It's just for interest's sake really.
I think they were a development of Surface-Barrier type transistors which even at their best had very low gains and low Vcemax.
Jim
Old 13th May 2007, 6:42 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Ah, the Spontaflex! He did design some versions of the circuit using silicon transistors. Some of the silicon types he used aren't that common now either, but they're more common than MAT101s, and you're more likely to find technical data on them.

http://freespace.virgin.net/spontaflex.reflex/

Paul
Closed Thread