UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2021, 10:03 pm   #1
robertsozo
Diode

Default RG 174 and RG 58 coax

Hello!
I am setting up a randomwire antenna with 9:1 UnUn for shortwave listening. I have a spool of RG174 coax lying around that I would like to use as a coax from antenna to receiver (lenght ~ 20m). I know that RG174 should have higher losses compared to RG58, but does it matter much if I use the coax only for receiving?

Thanks!
Old 10th Aug 2021, 10:47 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: RG 174 and RG 58 coax

The losses will be exactly the same while receiving as they are while transmitting. Your chief problem would be heating if you used it for transmitting.

On receive, it would only become an issue if the signals you wanted to hear were getting close to the noise floor of your receiver. Normally cosmic noise and man-made noise are bigger issues for most good receivers.

David
Old 26th Aug 2021, 11:27 am   #3
US7IGN/P
Triode

Default Re: RG 174 and RG 58 coax

I have successfully used last 2 years RG-174 on the HF bands, including for transmissions up to 100W. No problem.
Closed Thread