UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2020, 5:44 pm   #1
112stereo
Pentode

Default Sony PS T22

Can anyone help please ?
My son in law acquired a sony pst22 record deck over Christmas at a car boot sale, it was supposed to be working. To a point it does but it runs fast.
Had a look on various forums and found a few pointers, but none seem to work.
Cleaned the pitch control and associated pots all appear to work, but they won't slow it down far enough.
There is a circuit board for the servo with various pots on it, but they don't say what they do so I am reluctant to touch them.
Does anyone have a knowledge of this board or better still a circuit cot it ?
I have a service manual and it shows the board but not how to set it up !
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1578144882054.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	196718  
Old 8th Jan 2020, 5:57 pm   #2
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Re: Sony PS T22

Service manual available at vinylengine, you need to register (free) to download it.
Old 8th Jan 2020, 7:12 pm   #3
112stereo
Pentode

Thank you, this is the one I have and the only adjustment it shows is the speed detecting head output level adjustment.
This is correct, but there are a further 7 pots that can be adjusted and there is no information on these at all.
The pitch control works but not enough to make the lines on the turntable static.
I don't have a scope only a multimeter.
It could be a fault, caps, or any other components but without a circuit I am in the dark !
Old 8th Jan 2020, 8:04 pm   #4
John123
Heptode

If it's anything like my PS-6750, there should be two preset pots for 33 and 45 indicated underneath the deck, and adjustable with a small Philips through the casing.
Old 9th Jan 2020, 12:47 am   #5
tri-comp
Heptode

The PS-T22 manual on Vinylengine obviously is only partial, missing actually the most important parts, like a schematic diagram and the instructions for adjustment.
Since the Japanese producers liked to make equipment i number-related series, so is the case with this turntable/record deck.
Find another model with a corresponding typeno. and you could be in luck to find it's quite similar.
A corresponding no. to be expected in this series would be perhaps PS-T11. Cheaper model with less features, not the direction to go.
(There isn't really a Sony PS-T11 so just to make an example)
Then there's the possibility of a PS-T33 which would have been an upgrade, more expensive model.
Perhaps fully automatic as opposed to semi-automatic or something else, but still very similar.
The theory actually seems to hold in this case.
Take a look at the full PS-T33 service-manual available for free here:
https://freeservicemanuals.info/en/s...al/Sony/PST33/
Good luck with repairs. I would start by replacing all electrolytic capacitors BEFORE fiddling with the pot's.

/Torben
Old 9th Jan 2020, 6:17 pm   #6
112stereo
Pentode

Thank you.
So far I have found 6 variations of the pcb, I have never seen so many board variations as Sony have put in their decks for the same motor.
It's going to take time to go through them and see which is the nearest to mine.
There is even one for sale on eBay that's different again from mine yet from the same model.
Old 19th Jan 2020, 1:55 pm   #7
112stereo
Pentode

Just to finalise, there was a control pot open circuit.
Managed to adjust to correct speed with the bars in the turntable all good finally.
Just wish I had a sheet with the set up procedure then I would be happy.
Many thanks for all your assistance.
Closed Thread