UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2020, 10:57 pm   #41
paulsherwin

Default Re: Spirit of the forum, OT?

Lots of people with no previous interest in videocalling are now eager to do it, both for social and work reasons. It's hardly surprising that there's a webcam shortage.

Back on topic now please.
Old 26th May 2020, 11:40 pm   #42
AdrianH
Octode

If possible I would like to ask the mods for a longer timescale between posting a message to losing the option to edit it. I can often re-read my posts the following day and think a particular sentence needs re-writing, of there is an obvious spelling mistake, missed by spell checker etc.

Perhaps I am the only one that finds it a bit irksome but 18 hours would suit me. I appreciate that you do not want a post to be dramatically changed as following posts could be rendered obsolete.

As to the people that use this here forum, you users, yes you make it a good place to visit, offer advice when needed, tend not to be judgmental and some even have some good projects to follow.

Keep safe

Adrian
Old 27th May 2020, 12:16 am   #43
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I think keeping things as they are is a useful discipline, actually - too large an edit window either slows or blurs the evolution of the thread, and the odd typo, whilst maybe mildly irritating, is a small thing compared to some of the barely comprehensible stuff seen elsewhere.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:23 am   #44
paulsherwin

People do raise the question of editing now and then. The problem is that there is no way of allowing people to make minor changes without also allowing them to make major ones. Obviously, if people start making big retrospective edits to their posts it would render threads nonsensical.

The mods will modify your old posts if you give them a good reason to do so. Just report the post by clicking on the red triangle to the bottom left of the post.
Old 27th May 2020, 12:25 am   #45
AdrianH
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
I think keeping things as they are is a useful discipline, actually - too large an edit window either slows or blurs the evolution of the thread, and the odd typo, whilst maybe mildly irritating, is a small thing compared to some of the barely comprehensible stuff seen elsewhere.
Perhaps the barely comprehensible stuff would get changed when reviewed by the poster after a little while, I just find (I was told 30 minutes) to be a bit short a time, but hey ho!

Have fun.

Adrian
Old 27th May 2020, 7:15 am   #46
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Perhaps the barely comprehensible stuff would get changed when reviewed by the poster after a little while, I just find (I was told 30 minutes) to be a bit short a time, but hey ho!

Have fun.

Adrian
When we speak of "barely comprehensible stuff we're not talking spelling mistakes, typos or lack of punctuation. We're talking stuff which makes no sense at all. The sort of post which you read over and over again trying to understand what it is the poster is attempting to convey. It's obvious to the moderators that some members don't bother to read their posts either before or after submitting them, so they're hardly likely to edit them.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th May 2020, 9:01 am   #47
AdrianH
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
When we speak of "barely comprehensible stuff we're not talking spelling mistakes, typos or lack of punctuation. We're talking stuff which makes no sense at all. The sort of post which you read over and over again trying to understand what it is the poster is attempting to convey. It's obvious to the moderators that some members don't bother to read their posts either before or after submitting them, so they're hardly likely to edit them.
If it is the case that people do not edit their posts, would a longer edit time actually be a problem to the forum?

Do not be concerned about it, I can see that the idea is not likely to proceed and this is going off the spirit of the forum topic.

Good morning all.

Adrian.
Old 27th May 2020, 9:05 am   #48
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I have to admit I would like the edit window to be somewhat extended. There is a Law (which I've just made up) which states that you will not see an obvious spelling mistake or logical error in what you have written, no matter how long you look at it, until a split-second after you hit 'submit' or 'send' or 'print'. I don't always notice them immediately, and then sometimes it's too late.
Old 27th May 2020, 9:49 am   #49
Paul Stenning
Administrator

A couple of examples of why we don't allow a longer editing period:

• Member A posts a request for help but misses out some important information such as the model number, or makes an obvious error.
  • Member B replies asking for the relevant information or clarification.
  • Member A edits the original post accordingly but does not post again to say they have done so.
  • Other members then point out to Member B that the information is in the post.
  • Member B says it wasn't when he replied.
  • Discussion about whether the post was edited or not etc.
  • Member A doesn't reply to clarify the situation.
  • Member B becomes upset or annoyed about the whole situation.

• People in a thread are starting to get a bit frustrated, but nothing too bad.
  • Member X posts an angry response, possibly attacking another Member Y or their opinion.
  • Member Y responds angrily.
  • Member X edits their post to make it much calmer.
  • It now looks like Member Y started the outburst rather than Member X.

Situations like this have happened back when the edit window was much longer, on several occasions. We do not want the bad-feeling etc that goes with things like this, whether accidental as in the first example or intentional as in the second example. It is all part of trying to keep the forums a friendly welcoming place.

As Paul Sherwin said, just click the red triangle if you spot something in one of your posts that needs changing, and we will do so as long as it doesn't change the meaning of there are replies.

If you have just forgotten some information or need to correct some details it may be easier to just post again. We are all human and all make mistakes, nobody will be bothered about that.

If you use the Advanced Editor (click the Go Advanced button) you can preview your post and change it as much as you like before actually posting it. This is very useful when doing longer posts as it gives you a chance to read it back as it will appear on the forum rather than just reading it in the edit box (I used it for this one).

Anyway I think we have covered this aspect sufficiently now. Like everything there has to be a compromise and we go with what works best most of the time.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 31st May 2020, 11:15 am   #50
David Simpson
Nonode

When I joined the Forum 12 years ago, after a long absence from Radio/Electronics, I was made most welcome by established members. Having taken up vintage radio pursuits as a retirement pastime, I was extremely grateful for loads of helpful advice about kitting out my wee workshop and commencing initial projects. This helpfulness and support was (and still is) to me - the "Spirit of the Forum". Hence, in more recent years, I've endeavoured to help & advise others.

Sadly, the helpfulness of the many has been abused and taken advantage of, at odd times over the years, by one or two mercenary "wheeler-dealer" types. I've also occasionally noted at times the "Ostrich" attitude of one or two folk, who despite reams of extremely helpful reply posts (and even dire warnings), continue to delve recklessly with their soldering irons into the innards of very expensive test equipment.

Regards, David.
Old 31st May 2020, 1:48 pm   #51

Quote:
webcams at a sensible price are now unobtainable.
Search for USB camera, gettable for a fiver.

Old 31st May 2020, 1:56 pm   #52
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I am particularly grateful for the 'gung-ho responsibility' on offer here. When all equipment, even the most innocuous of battery-powered gadgets comes with dire warnings of death and destruction if opened, it is heartening to have people here who grew up in the days when it was not unusual for a teenager to be experimenting with high valve voltages.

My grandfather built his own arc welder and altered the mains wiring in his parents' house as a boy, and I imagine members here have similar memories or personal experiences. We millennials can respond well to the help of the older generation when we're not told 'don't touch that', but 'when you do this, be careful of that'.

Since joining this forum I've got four or five pieces of test equipment working (simple faults, but beyond my ability to logically troubleshoot) to give me the bones of a workshop; and some wonderful help with my hi-fi. When I look back on my electronic understanding when I joined, the progress I've made is entirely due to the clarity of explanation of the members here; their generosity of spirit in spending their time typing answers to my novice queries and their suggestions of theory to read.

My soldering iron and I are thoroughly enjoying quarantine, and since the local beer shop is doing deliveries, I raise a glass to the UK Vintage Radio Repair Forum, and in particular Paul Stenning. Thank you.
Old 31st May 2020, 4:36 pm   #53
hillmanie
Pentode

When I used to delve into the cavernous innards of jumble sale TVs (760 diodes!) my wife would alarmed for working with the back off pointing out the warning notices. In my sarcasm I'd say that servicing through the timber was a trick I hadn't as yet acquired.
TT
Old 1st Jun 2020, 11:05 am   #54
David Simpson
Nonode

When I mentioned 'delve recklessly' it wasn't regarding voltage safety matters. If folk want to delve into old knackered tellies or cheapo wirelesses - doesn't bother me. The point I was trying to make, regarding the "Spirit of the Forum", was that certain items of T/Eq are now horrendously expensive, but despite helpful forum folk's advice - some inexperienced owners dive in with both feet. As though these items were just a clapped out cheapo telly or such.
This VRR&R Forum has a great selection of sub-sections. I would suggest that if someone is struggling to comprehend the complexities of a certain item &/or the reams of advice given in many posts - they should seriously consider using the "Restoration Offers" sub-section. Yep, it'll cost a few quid, but there are a handful of highly experienced & highly regarded VRR&R &/or BVWS folk who can save you a lot of heartache & expense.

Regards, David
Old 29th Jun 2020, 8:05 pm   #55
samjmann
Heptode

Going back to the first post, the Spirit of the Forum OT? ... NO

Like others, I love the fact that posts are written, as far as possible, with good grammar. From 'Diode' to 'Dekatron', if you ask a question, however banal, you are treated with respect. In many other forums, use of slang, 'txt-talk' etc is commonplace. Here, thank goodness it's banned and use of the forum is so much better for it.

I've followed threads from complete novices of the subject, exchanging posts with other members with years of experience at design level. No condescending
comments are made to the novice. The great thing about all of this is that you can post on a subject where your knowledge is a little shaky, and you will get replies that are informative and interesting. You are NOT made to feel stupid!

I log on to the forum most days, and almost without exception, I learn something new each time.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 11:03 pm   #56
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Agreed. I think there is an unwritten rule to the effect that no question is a stupid question, and the forum is much the better for it.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 1:14 am   #57
paulsherwin

The mods don't like confrontational posts of any kind and will usually intervene if they think threads are drifting in that direction. That said, they rarely need to take action, because new members soon adjust to the culture of the forum. Hostile responses aren't accepted here by the general membership never mind the mods, so anyone who wants to behave in that way just goes elsewhere.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 9:47 am   #58
slidertogrid
Octode

I have always found the forum members to be helpful, generous, kind and patient.
I have recommended lots of people to join to ask questions or just have a general look and chat. Over the years it has been a big help to me, somewhere to escape for a while.
As an example recently my father passed away, it has left a void in my life as he was a fantastic man and I greatly miss our chats and laughs.
Being able to go on the forum for a few minutes a couple of times a day is a big help to pass the time and time as they say is a great healer!
Yes there are the occasional disagreements and moans but that is normal life!

It seems when folk have a fairly small community they generally respect it and are kind, This is the case with some neighbourhoods and other 'minority' groups I find.
I don't know if it was the case all over the country but I found in the 1980s when CB radio was illegal using AM sets from the USA it was almost self policing in this area . No one swore as we were always aware of the young users I met lot of people that became good friends.
When the government made it legal on FM and opened it up to 'everyone' it was very different it just became Jerry Sprin8er without the bleeps!

Long live the forum I say! Thanks Paul and everyone...

Rich
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 10:46 am   #59
hillmanie
Pentode

The spirit of a group depends heavily on the good judgement, integrity and especially the even handed consistency of treatment by Moderators, Don't take this for granted because of the impeccable standard we fortunately enjoy here. It's a voluntary position and often not competed for. I am familiar with one at least interest Group where the person concerned fails these tests, like accepting a clearly non-compliant posting from one of his favourites whilst censoring a justified aggrieved if needled response from the person targeted.
Re stupid questions (stand by for a slew of... !) to repeat what I once heard from a senior educator “the only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked”
TT
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 1:09 pm   #60
AdrianH
Octode

I ask lots of stupid questions, it's what I do to play catch up. Thanks for the answers. some knowledgeable people on here. Perhaps some day I will answer others questions in a clear and precise way.

Adrian
Closed Thread