UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2020, 4:40 pm   #1
knorxou
Triode

Default Sharp VZ-3500 turntable voltage?

Hi guys!

I signed up cause people here seem to be quite knowledgeable and helpful. I scanned through the posts regarding my machine but couldn't find what I was looking for so let me explain:

I'm just trying to isolate the turntable from the machine. The turntable part is connected with three plugs. One is just for the button panel. Then there is one with four pins going directly to the amp part that also has the speaker plugs so I'm guessing that's the audio plug (although i'm irritated by it being a big red cable I first thought it was for power delivery)
The third cable with 6 pins (purple grey green yellow orange brown) seems to powering the whole thing as it was able to work with both other plugs not connected.

So first I'd like to confirm (if anyone here knows) if my guesses about the functions of the plugs are right and if so what are the voltages on that 6 pin plug?
Before anyone asks: yes I did try to measure them but since I'm an idiot I accidentally shorted two pins which apparantly fried the power supply as the machine wouldn't turn on now. This is however not a huge setback for me as I only planned on keeping the turntable part. The only figure I was able to measure was about 15v between the purple and grey pins at each respective end of the plug.
I'm really not used to the color codes in this machine so does anyone know what the other cables do and if I need to supply different voltages to each of them?
As for the power supply. I don't know if that can be saved. All the visible fuses seem to be ok.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:32 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp VZ-3500 turntable voltage?

Service manual available from
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li.../vz-3500.shtml
Old 14th Feb 2020, 1:51 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Trying to isolate the turntable from the machine seems pretty pointless, as it is not a separates system. You will still have that extra lump with the amp and cassette deck sitting there doing nothing whatever you do!

I would try and fix the power supply first. Probably just an open circuit resistor.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 8:53 am   #4
knorxou
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I read that already. I couldn't find the single voltages for the different pins. It gives great detail on how a lot of things are wired to the microcontroller but not what input voltages are required for the turntable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben View Post
Trying to isolate the turntable from the machine seems pretty pointless, as it is not a separates system. You will still have that extra lump with the amp and cassette deck sitting there doing nothing whatever you do!

I would try and fix the power supply first. Probably just an open circuit resistor.

I actually wanna get rid of all the rest. I can just feed the audio into my own preamp circuit and I already isolated the button panel controlling the turntable. I just need to supply the turntable with the correct voltages through that 6 pin connector, but for testing purposes it would of course be very helpful to have the power supply running again.

There is this big board on the back of the machine that houses the power supply and the amp. I counted five fuses (is that what you mean by circuit resistor?) they all seem to be working. Are there more underneath or is there maybe a temperature switch inside the big transformer brick? It got really warm after my accident (I didn't check if it did that before though)
Old 15th Feb 2020, 10:51 am   #5
Station X

What's the circuit designation of the connector you're referring to?

If it's CNS504/CNP504 the voltages are clearly marked on the diagram. Page 40 in the service manual.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Feb 2020, 1:18 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

The turntable motor is a servo job, it won't work properly as a stand alone unless you included the electronics with it such as the PWB-F1 board etc etc and a suitable power source to supply those parts.

Just to note, the microcomputer IC501...pins 26 & 27 are the inputs from the record selector, pin 5 is the selected speed output.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 15th Feb 2020 at 1:38 pm. Reason: missing F
Old 17th Feb 2020, 3:32 pm   #7
knorxou
Triode

Hey guys I just realized we might have a misunderstanding here. I might have not made clear what I am actually trying to pull off as English is not my native language. I'll try to explain again:

So what I try to isolate is not just the turntable platter but the whole record player section or in other words: I want to get rid of the tape player, the amp, the power supply and the radio.
I want to supply power to the record player via some other power supply and lead the audio into my own amp.

I also thoroughly read the service manual again but couldn't find the connectors I'm referring to. It seems like the vz-3000 is different in those regards so I'll include some pictures.

Picture1: The back view of the record player section removed from the vz-3500

Picture2: The three connectors that connect the record player section to the rest of the machine, The left one being the one I suspect to be made for power delivery. The middle one I suspect is for audio output and the right one just connects to the button board for controlling the player.

Picture3: This is where the middle connector connects on the back of the record player (the upper connector with the big red wire) right next to a grey wire leading to the board that connects to the cardridges.

Picture4:
The board that houses the speaker and some other connectors on the back of the machine. This is where this red wire connects on the main unit.

Picture5:
The board with the amp and where the transformer connects. The connector in question is the one on the lower left. It connects to the six pin connector on the record player. I measured 15v between the outer most pins of this one before I fried everything by stupidly shorting two other pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-02-17_15-23-11.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	199170   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-02-17_15-23-13.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	199171   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-02-17_15-23-16.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	199172   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-02-17_15-23-18.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	199173   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2020-02-17_15-23-22.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	199174  

Old 17th Feb 2020, 3:33 pm   #8
knorxou
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
What's the circuit designation of the connector you're referring to?

If it's CNS504/CNP504 the voltages are clearly marked on the diagram. Page 40 in the service manual.
I tried to identify that but I couldn't really find a matching connector in the diagrams. Maybe I'm just blind or I don't look in the right spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
The turntable motor is a servo job, it won't work properly as a stand alone unless you included the electronics with it such as the PWB-F1 board etc etc and a suitable power source to supply those parts.

Just to note, the microcomputer IC501...pins 26 & 27 are the inputs from the record selector, pin 5 is the selected speed output.
I think I found what you mentioned. But isn't the motor controller on the same board as the rest of the record player electronics?
Old 21st Feb 2020, 9:33 pm   #9
Station X

Are you saying that you've looked at page 40 and can't see the connector with voltages clearly marked?

Old 23rd Feb 2020, 7:48 pm   #10
knorxou
Triode

Please bear with me. I have basic understanding of electronics but I am probably missing some knowledge to be able to always completely understand the technical drawings.
Just to make sure we're on the same page (literally I guess) I'll attach what page 40 looks like in the PDF I downloaded from the link mentioned in this thread.
I really can't see any values in there resembling voltage but maybe I am making a mistake here. I'd be really thankful for clarification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anmerkung 2020-02-23 193401.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	199589  
Old 24th Feb 2020, 12:28 am   #11
Station X

I don't have access to the manual at the moment, but it's PAGE 40, not FIGURE 40 you need to look at.

Be aware that .pdf page numbers may not be the same as the page numbers in the document.

Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:14 am   #12
Station X

If the manual is that linked to in post#2, then I can confirm that you need to look at page 40, Figure 39 SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM (4/4).

I have very limited computing facilities at present and cannot post a screen shot.

Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:26 am   #13
Station X

Managed it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SHARP.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	199601  

Old 24th Feb 2020, 11:45 am   #14
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Don’t know if you already know this, but Sharp actually made this record deck as a stand alone item, without the radio and tape! It was a different model number, but looked pretty much the same.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:00 pm   #15
ms660
Dekatron

So far as I can make out from the first and second photo's in Post#7 the connector on the left is the power supply input (CN5504 in the schematic) to the turntable section.

Pin 1 = Brown = Ground
Pin 2 = Orange = +ve 15.8 volts
Pin 3 = Yellow = +ve 24 volts
Pin 4 = Green = Ground
Pin 5 = Grey = +ve 15 volts
Pin 6 = Violet = -ve 15 volts

Lawrence.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:09 pm   #16
Station X

I think it's actually CNS504 where S denotes socket. It mates with CNP504 where P denotes plug.

Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:38 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks, yes it does (should have magnified....!) it's shown on page 40 and page 41 in the manual I'm looking at (elektrotanya)

Lawrence.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 1:47 pm   #18
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Don’t know if you already know this, but Sharp actually made this record deck as a stand alone item, without the radio and tape! It was a different model number, but looked pretty much the same.
Yes, I have one. It was the Sharp/Optonica RP114.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 6:17 pm   #19
knorxou
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
I do. I don't know the exact model number but I know it exists and looks strikingly similar to the record player section in my machine. This fact combined with the fact it was really easy and included only removing three plugs to remove that part made me sure that it could probably work on its own as it wouldn't make sense for sharp to not reuse parts for different models.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 6:37 pm   #20
knorxou
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
So far as I can make out from the first and second photo's in Post#7 the connector on the left is the power supply input (CN5504 in the schematic) to the turntable section.

Pin 1 = Brown = Ground
Pin 2 = Orange = +ve 15.8 volts
Pin 3 = Yellow = +ve 24 volts
Pin 4 = Green = Ground
Pin 5 = Grey = +ve 15 volts
Pin 6 = Violet = -ve 15 volts

Lawrence.
Thank you so much for transcribing that. This is basically the essence of what I tried to find out!

Now this is the part where my basic electronic knowledge reaches a point of some (hopefully small) confusion.
Normally I'd figure I could just supply the voltages needed to the specific pins and just have them all share the same grounds leading back through pins 1 and 4.
Pins 5 and 6 however mention different directions for the same voltage. Does that mean I'd have to supply two separate sources for 15v going into different "directions" in regards to the common ground?
Sorry I am lacking the exact terms in English. I have experience with curcuits mostly from working with microcontrollers but rarely ever had to work in environments using multiple different voltages in the same curcuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Managed it!
I just realized that what I suspected was true and we had different documents in our hands. I somehow managed to download the wrong service manual (being for VZ3000he) and just thought maybe they are similar enough that they just supply one manual for several different machines. But now luckily I got the right one and my page 40 looks like yours.

Through that I was also able to confirm that the red wire with the four connectors is the left, right and ground connections. It also has a phono connector and because my vintage audio knowledge is also a bit limited I'm not 100% sure how to tackle this.
So first off from what I can see this is completely unamplified so I'd definitely need to put a preamp behind this.
But what throws me off a little is the separated ground and phono plugs. As far as I understood they are basically the same one being dedicated to grounding everything to the metal casing and the other being the ground of the audio look but in most machines (as I understood) they eventually share one connection. So could I just connect them together or omit one?

Last edited by knorxou; 24th Feb 2020 at 7:01 pm.
Closed Thread