UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th May 2010, 11:55 am   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default NVCF virgin - what to expect

Hello all,

Hopefully this year I'll make it to the NVCF - last time I tried the big-end went on my car on the M6 toll . Reading the courier service thread has got me thinking...[I'll not help this year, not sure where I'm going after or whether my car will make it!]

What am I likely to find? I've a few bits and bobs I'd like to pick up like badges and knobs but big ticket things I'd like are: an untouched, in need of love TV, a 100MHz scope....

Am I likely to find these sorts of things?

Anyway looking forward to browsing...

Dom
Old 7th May 2010, 11:59 am   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: NVCF virgin - what to expect

You can expect to meet a lot of us fellow enthusiasts!

There are usually plenty of TVs in all states from piles of parts to fully restored. You would have to be in luck to get a decent 100MHz scope.

Be very careful as a virgin. You can easily catch a nasty disease; the symptoms are an empty wallet and a full car
Old 7th May 2010, 12:44 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
As a fellow virgin I'm ARRIVING with an empty wallet and a full car. Oh well....
Glyn
Old 7th May 2010, 1:11 pm   #4
dominicbeesley
Octode

Sound like it might be a good idea bringing the sports car - at least that get full quicker and I won't get tempted by any big tellies!

As to the wallet I'll have to see...

Dom
Old 8th May 2010, 8:48 am   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: NVCF virgin - what to expect

Hello there
What is the opening time tomorrow for the event? Is the early entry from 9 am?

Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 8th May 2010, 9:51 am   #6
murphymad
Heptode

Early entry is 9 am (or when we are allowed to open the doors by the fire officer) !!!!!!

This has been a few minutes later than 9 am, the last couple of times, due to stall holders putting too many items into the gang ways as the fire officer is VERY strict upon this matter and will not allow the doors to open until he is completely satisfied, so if you are a stall holder PLEASE note this and keep your items tucked under the table and out of the gang ways... PLEASE...

Standard entry is 10:30 am

Stall holders can gain entry for loading from 7 am.

If you are a BVWS member, don't forget to bring your membership card with you !

See you all there,

Mike...
Old 8th May 2010, 11:35 am   #7
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I picked up a nice HP1740 there a couple of years back - two resistors replaced in the HV circuit, and a 100MHZ scope was had for £20.....

So well worth looking under the tables!
Old 8th May 2010, 1:19 pm   #8
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Its a good day out with plenty of stuff to look at ,from cheap to expensive ,from bargain to overpriced . I think its my fav event, as I see other stuff rarely seen at BVWS events , like gramophones,phonographs or hi fi ,telephones etc.
Old 8th May 2010, 8:54 pm   #9
XTC
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post

What am I likely to find? I've a few bits and bobs I'd like to pick up like badges and knobs but big ticket things I'd like are: an untouched, in need of love TV, a 100MHz scope....

Am I likely to find these sorts of things?
Possibly, but it's completely unpredictable, like a lot of these events. You may find you haven't brought enough money and the car isn't big enough, You may find it pretty flat. It sort of depends what your interests are and what happens to be there on the day.

I think you need a shopping list, at least a mental one; kit, valves, transformers and bits and pieces and a good strong bag and plenty of change. Walk round all the stalls and home in on anything you really want, then do the rounds again, looking closer and looking under the tables, as Sean says. If you buy something bulky, like a 100MHz scope, the seller will normally take the cash and put it to the back of the stall and you can collect it when you are ready to leave.

Don't be afraid to ask the prices.

At the end, have a look at the telephones and things. As collectables, they leave me cold, but it's nice seeing them on display.

Finally, have a sift through the boxes of junk and valves. You can find gems in them.

I'm sure you'll have a good day.

Pete.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:28 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

You will indeed.

Sorry I won't be there by the way. Have a good time everyone.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 8th May 2010, 10:49 pm   #11
dominicbeesley
Octode

I'm looking forward to it and sorry you won't be there Steve. I hope you're on the mend!

Dom
Closed Thread