UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2010, 2:30 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Iain Baird at Harpenden 7th March

I am pleased to confirm that Iain Baird will be giving a talk at Harpenden on 7th March. The subject is the life and work of his grandfather, John Logie Baird, in the decade 1923 to 1933.

Iain is travelling down from Bradford especially to give this talk so let's make sure he has a good audience.

The talk will start at 12 noon and should last a little under an hour.

Special request: Will anyone be going home past Stevenage later that day? While I'm quite happy to take Iain to Stevenage station myself it's not exactly on my way home so I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who could help.
Old 8th Feb 2010, 5:31 pm   #2
TriMan66
Pentode

Default Re: Iain Baird at Harpenden 7th March

Hi,
I will be driving past Stevenage and very happy to give Iain a lift.
I would be staying until the end, if this fits in.

regards
Craig
Old 8th Feb 2010, 7:57 pm   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Craig, thanks for the offer. Don't know the train times yet but it stands a good chance of working. If Iain needs to get away a bit earlier is this still OK for you?
Old 9th Feb 2010, 12:39 pm   #4
TriMan66
Pentode

Hi,
I expect I will bid on something in the auction and need to stay to collect at the end. So I wouldn't be able to leave earlier.
I am still happy to take Iain if he is willing to stay to the end.

Craig
Old 9th Feb 2010, 7:28 pm   #5
tis your junk
Pentode

Jeff,

I'm putting this forward as an option.

I intend to be at Harpenden on the day, mainly for the presentation.

Added to which space problems (too much in the wallet, and not enough in the house/garage/shed/dog house (I had to move out!)) and a later engagement, make it is very unlikely I will stay till the end.

Happy to be a standby if required.

TYJ
Old 16th Feb 2010, 2:39 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you both for your kind offers. Could both of you make contact on the day please. I'm likely to be around the B&B or with Iain Baird most of the time.

TYJ's arrangments may fit better with Iain's schedule.
Old 23rd Feb 2010, 5:59 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Here's the title and abstract that Iain Baird has sent me.

Baird Television before the Crystal Palace, 1923-33

John Logie Baird walks along the coast in Hastings, envisaging a complete system to produce television. The tumultuous ten year period which followed would take television from Baird’s inventive mind to the point where television was finally being taken seriously. The talk covers key developments over this ten year period, as the early Baird Companies struggled against technical, commercial and regulatory challenges to make television a going concern in Britain. Mention is made of the early programme content made first in the Baird Studios, and later by the BBC from Studio BB1 in Broadcasting House. The talk concludes with the takeover of Baird Television by Gaumont-British Film Corporation in 1932, and the boardroom coup in 1933 where Baird became estranged from his own company.
Old 8th Mar 2010, 2:28 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

What a splendid turnout for an interesting talk. When I saw the queue outside I was a bit worried about space in the small hall. Not sure how many chairs we put out but virtually all of them were full. Must have been close to 100.

I would like to arrange more talks at Harpenden meetings but finding speakers isn't easy. If you know anyone who has something interesting to say about a vintage subject please let me know. Anything from valves to transistors, cabinet design to tape recorders and lots more besides.
Old 9th Mar 2010, 11:27 pm   #9
Danny
Heptode

Thanks all i enjoyed the talk it could have been a litle mor technical but i gues he had to fitt it in with the time available. thanks to all hew aranged it. Danny
Closed Thread