UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2018, 7:29 pm   #1
Morrisday
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO 232 & Bellset No.25 - Rotatone Connections

I've just inherited a GPO 232 phone with a Bellset No. 25. The PABX in our area will not accept pulse dialing so I want to fit a Rotatone pulse/DTMF unit. Does anyone have any experience of connecting this; can anyone advise a schematic or wiring diagram? Thanks
Old 25th Feb 2018, 8:33 pm   #2
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO 232 & Bellset No.25 - Rotatone Connections

I can thoroughly recommend Rotatones. I had one on a 300 series phone in the office for many years until I retired. The old Bakelite phone and particularly the bell ring caused much interest amongst colleagues!

Before I fitted it to the 332 I had it on a 232 and it worked properly on that, although there was not a lot of space for it. There are instructions here https://www.rotatone.co.uk/fitting-a...-to-a-gpo-232/ on how to fit one.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 8:48 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If you don't want to start messing around with the wiring of the 'phone, an alternative approach would be to get a Dialgizmo. This simply fits between the telephone and the line - just be aware that it uses RJ11 connectors, so you would need adaptors each end to use BT 431A connections, and either the 'phone wired to use its internal capacitor (as per pre-plug-and-socket) or an ADSL-type filter with a capacitor between the 'phone and the Dialgizmo.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 8:53 pm   #4
PaulR
Dekatron

I haven't come across those before. They seem to be a better solution than a Rotatone as no modifications to the phone are needed. I might get one myself.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 10:01 pm   #5
Morrisday
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that. I've had a look at that previously, however that is for a Bellset No.26. The No.25 has different connections / components, hence my confusion.
Old 26th Feb 2018, 10:08 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Do I take it then that your problem is how to connect the bellset 25 to the telephone 232 rather than how to wire in a Rotatone? The Rotatone is installed in the 232 as shown, regardless of the bellset used. A bellset 25, however, is intended for a telephone that doesn't have an internal induction coil (such as the earlier telephone 162), so using it with a 232 (which does have an internal coil) is going to be a bit of a kludge.

If you are wiring for connection to a master socket with its own ringer capacitor (known as three-wire operation), you really only need an external bell with a 232. In fact, there are small modern bells available that can be fitted inside a 232. I can't find one for sale at present, but they crop up on eBay (and elsewhere) from time to time.
Old 26th Feb 2018, 10:07 pm   #7
Morrisday
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that, it is really useful. I can do a botch job of the 25 to be a 26 lookalike, but was reluctant to get into unnecessary butchery. However, from your post it looks like that’s what I’ll do. I’ll let you know how I get on.
Closed Thread