UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2023, 1:32 pm   #81
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: RWB and OTHER outlets for our new and used items, can they carry on?

That's why I stopped going to Harpenden when I lived in Bournemouth. The journey up wasn't too bad but the journey home was always horrendous with the heavy traffic on the M1 southbound and around the M25 to the M3 junction.

Now I live in Cardiff, travelling to Biggleswade, Golborne and Punnetts Town would all be around 4 hours each way (assuming no delays), which is why I just go to RWB and Retrotech now.

We all have to be realistic about travelling time and cost (maybe including hotels) for attending these events.

With the most northerly event currently Golborne, that is clearly a major consideration for those in northern England and Scotland. It needs someone further north, somewhere near a motorway or major A road, to organise something!

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jul 2023, 1:39 pm   #82
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: RWB and OTHER outlets for our new and used items, can they carry on?

The last Audiojumble I attended was good as I could get there by train. However, that did mean walking back from the station with a rucksack full of a Farnell SB30/10 PSU and hand luggage so I was probably carrying 50kg! Eyes definitely bigger than leg muscles.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 1:44 pm   #83
stevehertz
Dekatron

I don't really see the point regarding the distance of events from one's home, lest of all the moaning about it. We can't all be on the doorstep of swapmeets. Events are, to a large extent, spread around the country. If anyone feels strongly about a lack of events in their area, then do something about it, create one, approach the BVWS committee.

I hear all these sob stories, but spare a thought for BVWS auction agent Mike Barker who runs the auctions. He spends days (probably weeks) collecting and storing stuff, cataloguing it, then prior to the auction very carefully wrapping all the items to avoid damage in transit, then he loads a large van with the stuff, then he very often makes an overnight stay near to the venue, early in the morning he travels to the venue to arrive well before opening time, unloads the blooming lot, sets it all up, mans a stall all day including the auction, then has to take back what doesn't sell, and of course on to the next event ad infinitum. Thanks Mike, that's the spirit, a doer, not a moaner.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 1:57 pm   #84
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

It's something of a vicious circle: there aren't sufficient members, and certainly not willing ones, to organise more and wider-spread events so there's less incentive for people to join. That means there isn't the man-power to organise more of wider-spread events....

I'm not moaning about it as I've no great wish to attend events anyway — I'm trying to get rid of stuff not acquire it.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 2:18 pm   #85
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I don't think it's fair to characterise them as 'sob stories', stevehertz. I can imagine that as many members are reasonably elderly a (very) long drive is a pretty onerous undertaking and if money's tight then the prospect of the stress of a four or eight hour round trip paying for fuel, and/or accommodation, for a few hours at the event could tip the balance the wrong way. I know my grandfather found going to the Alexandra Palace model engineering show from Brighton too difficult even when he was still happily driving round the local area.

That's not to diminish Mike Barker's contribution in the least, but just because he does that doesn't mean that it's in everyone's power to be that person. I turn up each Saturday to play cricket, but I haven't the time, expertise or inclination to join the committee, be captain, the groundsman or any number of other roles that the club needs to keep running, and that's OK.

Public transport is a problem, especially now with buses being poor and trains being wildly expensive. Otherwise, a centre of population would be a great location. As another poster mentioned, East Anglia is a problem as it does take ages to get to and from, much like Cornwall. There are plenty of 'vintage' and 'steam' type fairs down here though, so perhaps there would be an appetite for more distributed Retrotech-type events?
Old 10th Jul 2023, 2:38 pm   #86
stevehertz
Dekatron

I just don't see the point in lots of posts all explaining in self serving personal detail why they can't get to, or don't want to go to swapmeets. Is it going to change anything? is it really interesting reading? No offence meant to anyone, but I have to 'talk straight' and I stand to be judged by what I say - as I always have been. I like to see positive criticism and positive posts. Stuff that can make things better. What do we do as we get older? we tend to moan. I'm guilty of this as my partner would tell you. Will this attitude help attract new members? No it won't. We need positive people with positive ideas. A 'can do' attitude, not a 'can't do' one.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 2:48 pm   #87
ms660
Dekatron

Whatever the event and where ever they are held please make sure they are friendly for disabled folk, I could tell of recent heart breaking experiences caused by "the great and the good" not caring at all about the real world difficulties of folk with disabilities....but I won't.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 2:48 pm   #88
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I know what you mean, but the thread was specifically asked at the beginning why people didn't go to the event so information could be gathered to improve matters. I don't suppose many (me included) have much idea of what goes on in BVWS planning so can't comment on what's useful or not, but I guess all reasons why people didn't go is grist to the mill for future events.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 3:22 pm   #89
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

Change and offering something different was one of the motivators for doing the article on the 1963 valve Selmer Clavioline keyboard in the last two editions of the BVWS Bulletin. This article connects music, electronics groups/musicians recording, and even radio/electronic kit sets. I feel the Clavioline appeals to electronically minded [younger] musicians looking into the world of analogue keyboards and synthesisers. I’m far from a professional writer and by my own admission I headed down quite a few bizarre rabbit holes in the article, however, I felt they were relevant to what I was writing about.

I feel I’m contributing a little something to widen the range of equipment that falls under the ‘vintage’ category.

I attend both RWB events and the Audiojumble, however I now limit the events I go to as I find it very hard to sit on my hands – so to speak – and I must limit my ‘exposure’ to potentially buying stuff...

Alright…, I’ll bear my soul here… I’ve been in the situation where I was asked by a Counsellor, who was helping me with serous anxiety and other issues… “Well Terry…, exactly how big is your collection” … and when I said how much I had, I was advised to seriously think about reducing the size of the collection – I’ll say no more for personal reasons. So, this is why I limit the events I go to.

However, on a positive tact I felt I could offer more to the BVWS by writing articles on audio related equipment than buying loads of stuff, which could ultimately lead me to getting into a pickle [again].

I’ve been a member for what must 35 years and I’ve always got a friendly vibe at the BVWS events and also at the Audiojumble.

Talking about what is vintage, I suppose the TL071 operational amplifier IC could now be seen as ‘vintage’ as I have a data sheet for the TL071 dated September 1978, that’s some 45 years ago. If one was to go back 45 years from 1978, you’d arrive at 1933 the year the Ekco AD64 and 74 arrived on the scene. I suppose vintage is relative.

Terry.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 3:24 pm   #90
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I just don't see the point in lots of posts all explaining in self serving personal detail why they can't get to, or don't want to go to swapmeets. Is it going to change anything? is it really interesting reading?...Will this attitude help attract new members? No it won't. We need positive people with positive ideas. A 'can do' attitude, not a 'can't do' one.
The various reasons for people attending or not attending swapmeets seem to me good to air, and potentially useful for those who organise or are considering organising the meets: but I can't help thinking the meets are much more a gauge of immediate interest in our pursuit, and of course of enthusiasts' age and ability/readiness to travel, than they are a means of recruiting new members/enthusiasts. The meets happen a few times a year and in a very few places, they're minimally promoted to the general public, and most of those attending are surely already committed in some measure to the hobby: swapmeets are surely much more a service to the existing collectors who go to them, than any sort of potential mine of new recruits.

What can start people off down the roads we've variously travelled, are primarily life-events like being drawn to an old radio at boot sale, auction or junk shop, or receiving one as a gift or legacy, or friendly contact with the likes of any of us in daily life. This forum can help by providing good counsel to newcomers and offering reassurance that getting an old set to work usually isn't impossible and may prove rewarding. I just can't think many people at all have ever joined or left the vintage wireless fraternity on grounds of the quality or availability of swapmeets.

Paul
Old 10th Jul 2023, 3:59 pm   #91
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post

What can start people off down the roads we've variously travelled, are primarily life-events like being drawn to an old radio at boot sale, auction or junk shop, or receiving one as a gift or legacy, or friendly contact with the likes of any of us in daily life. This forum can help by providing good counsel to newcomers and offering reassurance that getting an old set to work usually isn't impossible and may prove rewarding. I just can't think many people at all have ever joined or left the vintage wireless fraternity on grounds of the quality or availability of swapmeets.

Paul
So if someone buys a radio at a boot sale (or other reason) we can help them. Sure we can, and we do. But demonstrably that isn't going to solve the problem of a dwindling membership; we've been providing such assistance since the forum began.

Have people left the society on the grounds of the quality or availability of swapmeets? I don't know of any personally, but I would guess there has to have been some given that the two chief reasons for being in the BVWS are the magazines and the swapmeets. Take those away and you're left with a badge (if you've got one).

We need to reach out to those who may want to join using the proven power of PR and advertising. Is there a budget, any committee discussions or any impetus to do this? I don't know, I hope so.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 4:17 pm   #92
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I know what you mean, but the thread was specifically asked at the beginning why people didn't go to the event so information could be gathered to improve matters.
Indeed, and Mike specifically asked for people's reasons etc in post #7. Obviously some will be individual circumstances, but that could still be useful information for gauging trends etc.

One small thing - the slideshow on the homepage of the BVWS website is mostly very old radios, with hardly any other equipment and nothing beyond the 60s. I have asked Alex if he has some other photos so it is a more balanced and representative mix of the type of equipment society members collect and are interested in now.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:02 pm   #93
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Have people left the society on the grounds of the quality or availability of swapmeets? I don't know of any personally, but I would guess there has to have been some given that the two chief reasons for being in the BVWS are the magazines and the swapmeets.
I'd agree there are bound to be people who have left the BVWS through finding swapmeets too far away, or too few, or not rewarding enough - that's why I said "the fraternity", i.e. I'm guessing that ever so few have either come to or abandoned an interest in vintage electronics because of swapmeets.

Thinking of some other minority-interest societies I'm part of, I can't readily think of one that advertises as such, but new members learn of them through internet searches, word of mouth or their being mentioned in publications. Hard to think where it could possibly be cost-effective for the Society to advertise, unless through building a popular YouTube channel or maybe even offering a level of sponsorship to one that already exists. For sure we could try to come up with events where a little selection of vintage stuff could be displayed to the public, but the fast ebbing amount of broadcast activity won't help a bit.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:06 pm   #94
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
One small thing - the slideshow on the homepage of the BVWS website is mostly very old radios, with hardly any other equipment and nothing beyond the 60s. I have asked Alex if he has some other photos so it is a more balanced and representative mix of the type of equipment society members collect and are interested in now.
The BVWS home page video could do with updating, bit like a present day butchers shop trying to flog meat with a use by date of 2014 stamped on it in the window.

The home page is a shop window to whoever.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:13 pm   #95
chriswood1900
Octode

WHY was the attendance at RWB this time so much lower than ANY other event over the last few years
If you have been or are a regular but did not attend this event last weekend I would LOVE to know your reason (whatever it may be) as to why you did not come this time.

I am a regular attendee of events in the South including RWB even though have moved to the Midlands
So WHY was it so badly attended?
Certainly attendance was down and I felt it as a stall holder but I can’t see any one thing that caused it.
Did you know about it?
Yes I knew about it, it is at the same time every year and has the add in the bulletin and the posts on this forum. I did miss the change to booking stalls but as there were as many stalls as usual I don’t think that affected things.
Was it advertised well enough?
Yes I think it was, it’s advertised in the Bulletin, on the BVWS calendar the BVWS website and posts on this forum. The only thing is I get the impression it is not advertised more widely outside our community or targeted e.g. sending a reminder email to all members.
Was it a date where there were more interesting things going on that you wanted to attend?
As I said I attended and could not think of much that clashed on that day. However the Large Newbury radio rally was a week before and may have influenced some people.
Do you have everything that you need ?
Yes
Was it fuel costs or cost of living?
Not for me but I could see it would affect some and the cost of attending in the current climate may also impact those on a limited budget.
Did you just not want to go anywhere?
N/A
PLEASE do tell us as it will help to improve future events.

A few points of my own.

I did not stay for the auction as there was not much that interested me, I am in downsizing mode, some things still interest me but there was nothing this time
There have been comments in earlier posts, concerning whether the BVWS should have its own separate forum, I don’t think this would make any difference, to run a separate forum would involve more costs and people to run it, nearly everything to do with the BVWS is run by volunteers. As Paul Stenning was the BVWS webmaster for many years I think we have been very lucky that he and the other moderators have provided us with a forum having another one makes no sense to me.
There is clearly a changing demographic for the Vintage radio hobby as the older members are passing on to the workshop in the sky and we will probably need to widen the remit to other vintage electronics areas.
Certainly, the interest in old radios has declined considerably and I can’t see them recovering. The prices for them has been declining for at least the last 5 years as reflected in the auction prices.
My own interests are quite wide, HiFi, test equipment, TVs, broadcast tech and computing. Plus technology in general including steam trains, aircraft photography and cars( all outside the scope of this forum). The challenge for me is keeping to some boundaries.
The problem I have is indulging my interests whilst not filling my home and this has meant I buy less and I’m much more selective about what I buy which is why I skipped the last auction at RWB.
I hope my musings help in the debate and encourage constructive comments.
Finally a big thankyou to the BVWS committee and the organisers of event such as RetroTech, RWB, Biggleswade, Golborne, Punnets Town, and Audiojumble and to those who want to criticise please roll up your sleeves organise something and show us how to do it.

Last edited by chriswood1900; 10th Jul 2023 at 5:43 pm. Reason: de-shouted
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:24 pm   #96
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
There have been comments in earlier posts, concerning whether the BVWS should have its own separate website, I don’t think this would make any difference
When I looked at the BVWS home page just now it said BVWS and the website address says the same (in effect)

Maybe I'm not up to speed.

Lawrence.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:44 pm   #97
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
There have been comments in earlier posts, concerning whether the BVWS should have its own separate website, I don’t think this would make any difference
When I looked at the BVWS home page just now it said BVWS and the website address says the same (in effect)

Maybe I'm not up to speed.

Lawrence.
Sorry Lawrence when I said website I meant forum, now corrected.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 5:49 pm   #98
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
The BVWS home page video could do with updating, bit like a present day butchers shop trying to flog meat with a use by date of 2014 stamped on it in the window.

The home page is a shop window to whoever.

Lawrence.
Agreed 101% - I did a drive-by on the BVWS website from both a top-rank Windows computer on an 80Mbit/sec broadband connection and a deliberately-bandwidth-constrained 8-year-old phone.

The site seemingly doesn't make any attempt to determine the browser you are using or the bandwidth of your connection; that's been SOP for the last couple of decades. The rendition reminds me of mid-90s Geocities homebuilt websites! I was half-expecting a little thing at the bottom of each page saying "This site best viewed with Netscape Navigator".

That would at least be 'vintage' in terms of the Web-experience.

If changing the pix in the slideshow I would suggest including some CB radios and 1980s/90s Ghetto-Blasters/Boomboxes.

CB has been legal in the UK for over 40 years, and was widely used illegaly for a decade beforehand. To me that's Vintage. I know quite a few people in the classic-car community who are enthusiastic about acquiring late-70s/early-80s CB radios to relive their youth and go to an "eyeball" whose 10-20 only got revealed over the air, and back then everyone had a Ghetto-Blaster/Boombox type "portable HiFi" on which to play their latest "Now That's what I call Music" cassette.

For those of us who grew up in the 70s/80s that's "vintage radio", not the old bakelite and wood radios our parents/grandparents had [and which we kinda looked down on].

Another thought: last decade, RSGB did a "year's membership for a pound" drive, which I subscribed to.

They screwed-up though because - though you had to give your credit-card details to pay the initial £1, they didn't go the next step and say "£1 for the first year, renews at £40/year after the first 12 months unless cancelled".

Also, could BVWS offer a digital-only membership option? Hard-copy magazines/journals are not something I want, letting me download a PDF, or read the content online, are how I want to consume stuff. Given that the BVWS Bulletin must be composed electronically, it surely makes sense to cut out the environmentally-damaging and expensive aspects of printing hard-copies and paying postal-charges for such delivery.

ARRL offer a "Digital-only" membership; surely BVWS could too.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 10th Jul 2023 at 6:19 pm.
Old 10th Jul 2023, 6:41 pm   #99
David Simpson
Nonode

Have a good lewk at the heap of stuff I sent to RWB. Back at New Year time, my daughter & her partner took it to Mark James in North Lancashire. He in turn took it down to Golborne & passed it on to Mike Barker. Then Mike stored it & then took it to RWB. All done by kindness & without any charge !

This is the ethos of the BVWS. My experience has been repeated for other folk for many years in the past, and no doubt for more years to come. We belong to a Society - a society of friends & acquaintances who help, advise & encourage many VR enthusiasts. Also - that Bulletin Magazine is second to none, thanks to a dedicated team. I submit that its far far better than Radcom, or the IET's E&T Magazine. VMARS's "Signal" is also jolly close to the Bulletin.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave's Stuff (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	281133  

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 10th Jul 2023 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Unnecessary remark removed
Old 10th Jul 2023, 6:52 pm   #100
slidertogrid
Octode

I joined the BVWS when I heard about it from a member I had bought a radiogram from via ebay. Maybe members could help promote the BVWS in the same way when they sell on ebay or attend other events?

We could try promoting at record fairs, Antique fairs , Classic vehicle events, Comic com . I have suggested this in the past. My parents used to be part of the touring caravan community (apologies to other road users..) Members would often organise a "rally" in their area with guidelines from the club, It was easy (in those days admittedly) to do. Maybe we as members could organise a few smaller local meetings ? More a social thing than a large sale, just a few tables, refreshments and a few members doing repairs? I attended a couple of workshop days that were organised a few years back and enjoyed them.

The Cowbit event that Chas used to run was small but well attended how about arranging a replacement to that event? I for one would help with arrangements maybe we could arrange a couple of radio and TV displays with maybe a few tables selling ? From small events bigger ones may grow.

Antique fairs and record fairs are always popular maybe we could fit in there?
I don't know what it costs to hire a small hall like Cowbit ? There is a few indoor "car boot" type sales locally selling mainly baby and children's clothes etc so I doubt the room / hall is very expensive?

Just a few thoughts? Of course it is fine suggesting new events but we need to make sure the existing ones survive. Clearly more needs to be done to promote the BVWS. I found searching for 'Vintage Wireless' found the BVWS but searching 'Vintage Radio' did not...