UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:08 am   #1
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Cartridge recommendations.

Hi,

I have a Garrard 401 turntable fitted with an SME 3009 arm. Recently my Shure M75ED/2 cartridge has packed up and I'm looking for a replacement.

I like the sound of the Shure and wondered if anyone can recommend anything similar which I can install into my existing SME headshell.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt Courtman
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:35 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Cartridge recomendations

How long is a piece of string?

The Audio Technica AT95E has a broadly similar neutral sound and is cheap, but it depends on how much you want to spend and what the rest of your equipment is.

What's wrong with the Shure? Third party styluses are widely available for the M75 body.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 1:25 am   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

An M75 ED cartridge packed up!? Are you sure? They are the series 1 Land Rovers of the hi-fi world. I would counsel caution on replacement styli - there are some awful things out there - NOS shouldn't be that hard to find. If you really need to replace I would advise Goldring Elan or Ortofon VMS 20E - both vintage these days but I have been impressed by them in my similar set-up. And, as Paul suggests, the AT95E is good, but IMHO your system deserves a little better.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:22 am   #4
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your replies.

My full set-up consists of:

Garrard 401 Turntable with SME 3009 tonearm
Quad QC-24P Phono stage
Quad QC-24 Preamp
Pair of Quad II amps
TDL Speakers

The symptoms I have is there is hardly any sound coming from my left speaker when using the Shure M75ED cartridge. I do have a Goldring 1042 which when used sounds fine from both speakers. However the Goldring sits very close to the record.

I haven't tried a replacement stylus as I wasn't sure if this would cause the issue.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 10th Feb 2018, 11:53 am   #5
paulsherwin

Check all the wiring very carefully as I've never known a cartridge fault produce these symptoms. Can you borrow a cartridge from somewhere else and fit it in the arm?
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:23 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Are the cartridges mounted on separate headshells?

I've known fine wires fail and crimps or heatshrink make it impossible to see.

A DMM on ohms can help.

David
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:41 pm   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

A check of DC resistance on the coils would be useful - it sometimes happens that the connection between coil and pin in the cartridge body, which is a crimp of sorts, can fail. Careful application of solder was at one time advocated as a fix, but the risks are pretty high, as you might imagine. If checks on the cartridge pins show up this problem, I'd be inclined to seek out a second hand body - they aren't hard to find -and go from there.

It's ages since I used a 75ED, but they were damned good cartridges in their day and still sound pretty good now.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 1:36 pm   #8
bikerhifinut
Octode

You mention a G1042, which in my book will knock spots off the M75ED especially in your very good turntable and arm. If it is "riding low" I'd check the arm height, I am sure that SME arms are adjustable for this. Also as long as it doesn't actually foul on a record surface does it matter that it seems to "ride low". Many modern cartridges do have a lower ride height. I used a G1042 for a long time in my Linn Axis and I found it very pleasing.
Otherwise, RW's suggestion of checking the headshell wiring is very good. And you can meter the cartridge pins to check for open circuit.
The comments about variable quality on aftermarket styli I concur with, and believe me genuine NOS Shure ones are like hens teeth, and if you do find one the cost will likely make it as expensive as a decent new budget magnetic cartridge.
I was lucky enough to find a new in box JICO stylus on the well known auction site for a reasonable sum, and it does both work very nicely at the recommended tracking weight and looks nicely made. I get no mistracking or inner groove distortion so on that score I can recommend the JICO.
https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_...l4hlkdjvf59nu5
Bear in mind the price of the stylus from JICO does not include airfreight and any import taxes/VAT which will bump the price up.
I would counsel avoidance of any Ed Saunders product, I bought one for the M75ED and i most certainly did NOT get what was "on the tin". Others i can not vouch for but they all seem to mostly come from the same Swiss manufacturer.

I have listened at length to the M75ED/JICO on both my nephews Rega planar3 and my Michell GyroSE, and hand on heart I have to say the Rega carbon (TWEAKED UP AT91) was better overall in my view, especially in the lower registers, so spending a little bit more on the higher performing Audio Technicas might give you a better bang for your buck.
I don't want to seem like I have anything against the M75ED, but its a 40 year old design and cartridge technology has advanced quite a way with modern magnet technology etc.
Your Turntable back in the day may well have sported a V15 and that is a different animal altogether.

Anyway it's your gear, and if you wish to keep using the M75ED, that's the only thing that matters. I hope the problem is as simple as a bad connection or broken wire in the headshell. If so then drop me a Private message as I have a full set of brand new ortofon headshell wires suitable for an SME that you can have for free. They are apparently some sort of fancy quality if you believe in that sort of thing, I got em with a Quintet MC cartridge as part of the fitting kit.

Andy.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 10th Feb 2018 at 1:42 pm.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 1:47 pm   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

If anyone is wondering why I still have an M75ED, it's pure nostalgia as thats the cartridge we had on the PL12D on dad's system. (It's still doing its job now some 42 years later, although the PL12D needs its motor mounts replaced due to old age).
And it is a nice piece of kit for all I think modern ones give me a bit more of the music.

Andy.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 2:17 pm   #10
paulsherwin

The Rega Carbon does perform well for a cheap cartridge with a conical stylus, but I think the AT95E has better compliance and will perform better in the excellent arm being discussed here. They have similar prices. Of course, both are extremely basic cartridges by high end hifi standards, but it all depends what you want. The M75ED isn't an exotic cartridge either.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 3:21 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I have to agree that the G1042 is a far superior cartridge - but then, I'm not a fan of Shure cartridges (or mics for that matter).
Old 10th Feb 2018, 9:14 pm   #12
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
The Rega Carbon does perform well for a cheap cartridge with a conical stylus, but I think the AT95E has better compliance and will perform better in the excellent arm being discussed here. They have similar prices. Of course, both are extremely basic cartridges by high end hifi standards, but it all depends what you want. The M75ED isn't an exotic cartridge either.
I do agree Paul, my point was simply that to my ancient ears the Carbon/AT91 was, if anything, nicer than the M75ED. I would never use the word "better" due to differing perspectives on what makes a good sound in ones own domestic environment.
And the SME3009 would likely perform better with a cartridge tracking around the 1.5g mark, the Shure range would have been a perfect match with their ability to track at 1.25g or less.
As to the AT95E I can't endorse it any more due to my experiences with a recent new one. It was my "go to" when I needed a modest magnetic cartridge as a stopgap, and my memory of it in the Linn arm on the Axis was of a very good inexpensive transducer punching above it's weight. But whether AT have backslid on this old design and their QC isnt as good as it could be or whether I was unlucky, I can't say. But it sounded harsh and I got through 2 genuine AT styli both of which did that thing of twisting in their suspension thus knocking the azimuth and alignment out of true. The inner groove distortion was awful. But I would still be confident about AT's newer offerings and their new top of the range magnetics seem to be keen on snatching ortofons 2M crown, and at a lower price which can't be bad.
The current crop of Goldring budget MMs look very much like badge engineered AT's, and with an advantage of having threaded bushes for mounting screws making mounting a doddle.

"Basic cartridges" can still sound lovely there are some doozies out there for real bargain prices. Again I think we would be in agreement on that Paul.

Andy.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 9:17 pm   #13
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I have to agree that the G1042 is a far superior cartridge - but then, I'm not a fan of Shure cartridges (or mics for that matter).
Have you seen the price of one recently? Eye watering.
Incidentally anyone considering buying a Linn Adikt would do well to get a Goldring G1012, cos they are the same. Their specs are identical but the price ain't!

A.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 11:08 pm   #14
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for your advice.

I have two separate SME headshells, one with the Goldring fitted, the other the Shure. So the headshell wiring could be at fault.

The Goldring 1042 sounds lovely, but it rides so low that on some records it does occasionally touch. Also when playing singles, it makes an awful noise when it runs into the dead wax and onto the raised anti-slip grooves.

When I use the headshell with the Shure cartridge fitted I get perfect sound from the right speaker but very low volume on the left speaker.

I have checked the 4 cables, all look to be ok. But i'm no expert, and can't solder to save my life. I have a friend who lives fairly close by who is brilliant at repairing this sort of thing (he completed overhauled my Quad II's, in fact he used to work for Quad) so I might get him to take a look before replacing the cartridge.

Best wishes,

Matt
Old 10th Feb 2018, 11:45 pm   #15
paulsherwin

Check the tracking weight when using the 1042.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 12:33 am   #16
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
The Goldring 1042 sounds lovely, but it rides so low that on some records it does occasionally touch. Also when playing singles, it makes an awful noise when it runs into the dead wax and onto the raised anti-slip grooves.
Do you mean the serrated anti-slip ring just outside the label? There is something deeply amiss with your setup if the stylus is bouncing about on that! Check your anti-skate setting, ideally with an acrylic blank (just a bit of acrylic with a hole for the spindle and no grooves) and set it up with no deviation in the middle of the 'playing surface' or a very slow drift in.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 12:56 am   #17
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Do you mean the serrated anti-slip ring just outside the label? There is something deeply amiss with your setup if the stylus is bouncing about on that! Check your anti-skate setting, ideally with an acrylic blank (just a bit of acrylic with a hole for the spindle and no grooves) and set it up with no deviation in the middle of the 'playing surface' or a very slow drift in.
Hi, yes that's exactly what's happening. I think the setup of my arm must be incorrect. I have read the SME manual, but must confess it leaves me a little confused.

Could anyone explain what settings I should have it on for the Goldring 1042:
-Position of 'Rider Weight' along 'Wayrod' - where should the round weight be?
-Wayrod position - how far to the right should the arm be out?
-Position of 'Bias Adjustment' nylon loop

I've used a Stylus pressure gauge and it's reading 1.5g

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by mcourtman; 11th Feb 2018 at 1:22 am.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 1:26 am   #18
RojDW48
Nonode

There shouldn't be any significant difference between bias (anti-skate) settings for different cartridges - bias is a function of the forces exerted on the stylus and tonearm by the rotational nature of playing a record - generally inward - in your case, somewhat extremely. You can see from the orientation of the weight and hanger that it is designed to counteract that inward tendency. Also check that your deck is sited truly horizontally - that can make a big difference.
Old 11th Feb 2018, 1:38 am   #19
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I've tried to upload a photo, could you tell me if you notice anything obviously wrong?

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180211_00_33_58_Pro.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	157155  
Old 11th Feb 2018, 1:42 am   #20
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcourtman View Post
Could anyone explain what settings I should have it on for the Goldring 1042:
-Position of 'Rider Weight' along 'Wayrod' - where should the round weight be?
-Wayrod position - how far to the right should the arm be out?
-Position of 'Bias Adjustment' nylon loop

I've used a Stylus pressure gauge and it's reading 1.5g
It sounds like you’re doing OK, as 1.5g will be fine for the Shure. However, the method is as follows:

Start with the rider weight at the rear of the way rod and remove the bias weight from the bias rod on top of the earring housing that it hooks over.
Now loosen the screw that slides the wayrod left and right, and line it up with the marking that corresponds to the physical weight of the cartridge. The Goldring weighs 6.3g and each line corresponds to 2g so you need to slide the wayrod to the right so that the third line is just showing and tighten it.
Now, remove the arm from the rest and use the rear weight balance it so that it is perfectly level, and if you tap it gently upwards or downwards it returns to a level position.
Now put the arm back in the rest and slide the wayrod forward to apply the tracking force. Each line corresponds to 0.25g so bring it forward to apply the tracking force you want. For the 1042 I’d go with 2g.
Finally, re-hook the bias weight over the bias rod and put it in the groove you want. Generally the advice is to set this to the same value as the tracking force but I tend to go for about half this, but feel feee to play with this setting - it’s not a precise science.

I also agree with the comments on the 1042. It’s a very good cartridge and should wipe the floor with the Shure, but it shouldn’t be riding that low.
Closed Thread