UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2018, 10:36 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Aldi swivel vice

Hi all,

Just a heads-up, Aldi are doing a couple of Workzone branded vices at £5.99. There is a suction mounted swivel one and a bench clamp type one. I bought one of the suction ones and am very impressed, heavy enough not to need the suction and swivel action is great and locks nicely. Ideal for doing multi-pin connectors, ended up getting another for work and one for a collegue. It's no Panavise but excellent quality for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers,

Kev
Old 7th Feb 2018, 9:12 am   #2
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Re: Aldi swivel vice

I had a similar one from Lidl a few years ago - a bench clamp type. It has removable rubber covers on the jaws, can be swivelled to all sorts of angles and is great for holding small things while you solder them etc. Wouldn't be without it now!

The image shows the Aldi one and my Lidl one is almost identical.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vice.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	156914  
Old 8th Feb 2018, 5:34 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Be careful if using suction-mounted things on laminate-faced workbenches.

I have memories of my late mother fixing a suction-mounted 'Spong' mincer on the kitchen-table, which was faced with Formica. When she removed it, there was a lump where the suction had un-bonded the formica from the underlying wood.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 2:57 pm   #4
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Hi Kev.

Reading your thread I thought I would nip to my local Aldi and get one, I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality for the price and as you say you don't need to sucker the base down. If you needed to bearing in mind G6Tanuki's timely warning you could always stick it to a spare ceramic floor tile etc?

A useful heads up thanks, another Kev.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 3:00 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

I use a screwed down small vice bolted to an old chopping board.
Closed Thread