UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Nov 2022, 11:00 pm   #1
phildil
Pentode

Default Spark (pulse) generators for HT igniters

hi all

One of the components in an arc lamp igniter (in this case for cinema film projectors) is a HT spark or pulse generator like those shown in the photos (the one on the right in the two-shot is the duff one). These eventually wear out and I've just replaced one of ours by scavenging it from a 50 year old disused igniter unit. My question is, are these components still readily available new, or is there a modern equivalent?

cheers
phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-29 13.08.53.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	269004   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-29 13.09.13.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	269005  
Old 30th Nov 2022, 11:08 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Spark (pulse) generators for HT igniters

I guess it's a spark gap - a capacitor is charged from a mains transformer and diode (or possibly a low-voltage flyback converter) up to the breakdown voltage of the spark gap (around 1kV), and then discharges rapidly via the spark gap into a low-resistance winding of an impulse transformer to step up to several kV at a fairly low impedance, in turn to cause breakdown in your high-pressure Xenon lamp and initiate an arc.

Yes they're still available - the company I work for uses them in a similar manner, as part of jet engine ignition units!

A quick Google search for 'E2V spark gap' (used to be English Electric Valve) throws up several hits.
Old 1st Dec 2022, 1:48 pm   #3
phildil
Pentode

Default Re: Spark (pulse) generators for HT igniters

Yes - that's it exactly. thanks.

They're certainly not cheap though !! Carry on scrounging, I think.

cheers, Phil
Closed Thread