UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2020, 11:01 am   #1
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Burstow & Hewett Auctioneers - Terry Ransom Vintage Radio Collection - 17th September

Email received from the auction house. I know nothing more about this, just sharing for info.

Quote:
Good morning,

I am just following up on a previous email I sent over with regards to an exciting collection.

The Terry Ransom Vintage Radio Collection will be sold on 17th September.

We'd love to for you to share this with your members as we feel they would be really interested in viewing the items.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Lisa

Burstow & Hewett - Auctioneers
Abbey Auction Gallery
Lower Lake
Battle
East Sussex
TN33 0AT
01424 772374

www.burstowandhewett.co.uk

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 20th Aug 2020, 11:14 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Burstow & Hewett Auctioneers - Terry Ransom Vintage Radio Collection - 17th Septe

It would appear that the auction catalogue for 17th September is not yet available to view.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 3:59 pm   #3
trevatxtal
Triode

Default Re: Burstow & Hewett Auctioneers - Terry Ransom Vintage Radio Collection - 17th Septe

Be very aware this bunch will add a large buyer premium to your hammer price.
RIP OFF

""In the case of lots purchased online via www.the-saleroom.com, this will be charged at 25% on the hammer price. Lots purchased online via www.easyliveauction.com will either attract an extra 3% surcharge OR a single £3 registration payment, chosen by you at the point of registration. In addition, VAT is payable on this premium. All lots are sold using the auctioneers’ margin scheme and it should be noted that the VAT charged on the premium is not recoverable as input tax.""

Taken from their site.
Old 20th Aug 2020, 4:06 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Yes, 30% premium inc. VAT is pretty high-end. I thought my local auction house was bad enough at 24% (20%+VAT). My approach is to calculate how much I'm willing to spend, then bid up to an amount that wouldn't exceed that after addition of charges.
Old 1st Sep 2020, 4:50 pm   #5
Petedox
Pentode

Video of the collection here, well worth a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armRXdQLCt4
Old 1st Sep 2020, 8:01 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

This chap?
https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ha...027&fhid=39324

Was he a member here?
Old 1st Sep 2020, 9:25 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

That's a really decent collection.

I am pretty certain that Terry acted as the BVWS auctioneer prior to Mike stepping into the role.

I cannot remember the exact date but the first BVWS Auction must have been around 1990.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 1:27 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Burstow & Hewett is fairly local to me and I do bid occasionally. Prices are generally high for radio and audio related items as seems commonplace with auctions advertising on auction sites but I have still managed to get a few bargains.
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 2:55 pm   #9
paulsherwin

To be fair, all auction houses add whopping great buyer's premiums to the hammer price, it's just the way the industry works. TV auction shows spread confusion about this by ignoring or playing down the various premiums to avoid confusing their audiences.
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 3:08 pm   #10
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Even the Antiques Road Trip, which does deduct commission etc. from the contestants' eventual winnings, fails to included them when declaring how much an item sold for - only occasionally mentioning that a "profit" of a pound or two as actually a loss after commission, and never stating the nett price received for an item.
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 4:09 pm   #11
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

B+H are definitely local to me PJL [post 9]. I once failed to hang around for an "Ether" Radiogram, big mistake! One guy said "Are you that dealer from Tunbridge Wells?" I said, "Not with my accent!"

The collection for this auction is very well presented. Prices on the day may be high but you never know [as said]. That's the big draw I suppose. The Stock Exchange, Auctions and Horse Racing-it's all gambling in a way. The trick is to not lose to much... I suppose. My wife claims that betting at a race track is tax free but I wouldn't know. There isn't a great deal to attract me in the list [fortunately] but I'm always interested in JL Baird history eg Lot 1506... part of a TV TX 'built by Vic Mills". I knew the Terry Ransom name from my BVWS mag collection. [I'd got some of the earliest editions from Chas Miller in the mid nineties 1976/7 onwards]. A google search brought up four magazine mentions of Terry. He's not in the 76/77 membership list so, presumably, not in the early group.

Dave W

Last edited by AC/HL; 3rd Sep 2020 at 12:00 am. Reason: OT aside edited
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 10:54 am   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

Not strictly relevant to this auction in particular, but anyone interested in the history of the BVWS will find this a good place to start: https://www.bvws.org.uk/info/intro.php
Old 3rd Sep 2020, 4:41 pm   #13
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I'd missed Mike's post [7*] somehow. Terry co-ran the BVWS June auction in 1989, apparently as an "add on" to the Swapmeet event, so you are very close Mike!

Dave
Old 17th Sep 2020, 9:45 pm   #14
georgeek
Triode

Default Auction Results

There was an auction near me today "The Terry Ransom Vintage Radio Collection Sale". Here are the lots and what they went for.....
Old 17th Sep 2020, 10:25 pm   #15
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: Auction Results

That's really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Aub