UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Nov 2017, 12:38 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Storing a Bush RP-60

I'm sure you're right, Gary.

Nick.
Old 7th Nov 2017, 1:42 pm   #22
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks all for your feedback.

I can't sell the player as it was owned by a friend of my Dad's and I bought it when he died. As well as being a good player, it's "my" record player as well as "Colin's record player" if that makes sense. It's just that now I have a nice separates deck I use every day, and space is at a premium, I need to store it until such time I can have it on display again.

I am reasonably comfortable with having to deal with seized and gunked up mechanisms - it's one of the few things I feel reasonably confident with. I also accept the risk of having to do work on the electronics to bring it back into use.

The thing I am most concerned about really is the platter mat going "peculiar" as I have seen elsewhere. By that I mean distorting and, I think someone said, de-vulcanising.

Of course if none of the things above come to pass that's great, but it's those irreplaceable items I want to safeguard.
Old 7th Nov 2017, 1:52 pm   #23
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

You could always remove the platter mat, pop it in a cardboard LP sleeve, and store it in the house with your records (clearly marked, of couse!).
Old 10th Nov 2017, 2:17 pm   #24
Techman
Dekatron

I store things in the loft out of necessity and they have to take their chance. However, items likely to suffer if exposed to extreme heat are never placed under the south facing roof slope and are placed, covered up where possible under the north facing side. In the end they all have to take their chance. One important thing I would mention is that the mains on/off switch is left in the 'ON' position as they can cause problems with high resistance if left in the off position for long periods such as decades.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 7:31 pm   #25
Clydeuk
Hexode

I removed a record player with autoslim turntable from the loft a few years ago, it was up there for about 5 years and the platter mat had warped badly and gone hard and brittle. There was no central heating in the house at the time.

I would definitely recommend the mat be removed and stored elsewhere as in my case the mat was useless afterwards.
Closed Thread