UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2017, 10:14 am   #1
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Philips "Summit" range of TVs (1961-2)

A contemporary Philips sales leaflet states that the "Summit" range of TVs are "readily convertible to 405 and 625 operation". Summit model numbers are 19TG11xA and 23TG11xA. The "x" is a number that identifies and individual model in the range)

I've worked on a few of the Summit range and have the original service manuals. The manuals don't have any reference to 405/625 conversion and, if my memory is correct, there was no provision on the chassis.

Does anyone have any recollection of conversion kits for the Summit range, or is the brochure statement wrong?

The subsequent "Twin Line" sets (19TG12xA and 23TG12xA models) had a similar chassis layout to the Summit, but clear provision had been made for the fitting of a 405/625 conversion kit (as shown in the brochure photo).

I have a scan of the brochure but I am currently having difficulties uploading it to this thread. I'll try again later in a subsequent post.
Old 6th May 2017, 11:21 am   #2
volte-face
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Philips "Summit" range of TVs (1961-2)

Here is the leaflet in question, as both jpg image and slightly easier to read pdf -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips Twinline and Summit TVs.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	142150  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Philips Twinline and Summit TVs.pdf (120.1 KB, 171 views)
Old 6th May 2017, 12:00 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Philips Summit range of models was probably the best of all the 405 line TV receivers ever made. Engineers didn't get much work to do from servicing these sets.
As for the Twin Line models I have a spare conversion kit for 625 lines which is available for anyone who wishes to have a go at converting a set to dual standard operation.

DFWB.
Old 6th May 2017, 12:11 pm   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Is your conversion kit the front facing one, with a radio style UHF tuning scale, or is it the side facing one, for the later second series "Twin Line" models?
Old 6th May 2017, 12:12 pm   #5
MonochromeMarc
Pentode

Hi all,

Thanks for posting the information as it's solved a mystery for me. I have an unconverted 'Everest' set which until now I didn't know the model name of.
The name does suit it though as it's very big and flipping heavy !

Marc.
Old 6th May 2017, 12:57 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Is your conversion kit the front facing one, with a radio style UHF tuning scale, or is it the side facing one, for the later second series "Twin Line" models?
I believe it is. It's upstairs in a box along with other conversion kits.
When it's found I'll take pictures of it.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 6th May 2017 at 1:06 pm.
Old 6th May 2017, 1:08 pm   #7
FERNSEH
Dekatron

And here's the picture of the TwinLine conversion units.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TwinLine.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	142152  
Old 6th May 2017, 1:54 pm   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Does the kit you have include the replacement front moulding and knobs? If you give the part number of the replacement front panel moulding, I can see which model(s) it fits/matches.
Old 6th May 2017, 1:57 pm   #9
neil29
Heptode

I've got one of the set's into which that kit will fit trouble is it's tatty. and despite what I paid for it I will be offering it free at mikes next Saturday if anyone would like it.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 6th May 2017, 3:48 pm   #10
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Does the kit you have include the replacement front moulding and knobs? If you give the part number of the replacement front panel moulding, I can see which model(s) it fits/matches.
Sorry to say but the items shown in the attachment are the only parts I have for the TwinLine 625 conversion.

DFWB.
Old 6th May 2017, 5:06 pm   #11
dazzlevision
Dekatron

That's a pity.
Old 6th May 2017, 5:08 pm   #12
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonochromeMarc View Post
Hi all,

I have an unconverted 'Everest' set which until now I didn't know the model name of.

Marc.
I'm still not at all convinced that this range of "Summit" sets is actually convertible to dual standard operation........
Old 6th May 2017, 8:45 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I handled quite a number of these receivers that had been converted to dual standard operation. The chassis used PY82 HT rectifiers unlike the twin line that used the new BY100 silicon diode.
The receivers were ex rental Visionhire models, Visionhire of course being a Philips company. They worked extremely well and were well liked by my band of reconditioned TV purchasers. They never broke down and were very long in the tooth when they came my way. The Cossor version had a motor driven VHF tuner. Brilliant Mullard tube that refused to dim! Philips at it's very best. John.
Old 6th May 2017, 9:30 pm   #14
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I handled quite a number of these receivers that had been converted to dual standard operation. John.
If you can recall, I'd be very interested to know more about how the conversion was achieved.
Old 6th May 2017, 9:54 pm   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

It definitely had extra panels fitted. The interior was crammed with cable forms but that is about all I can remember I'm afraid. They were astonishingly reliable receivers. A very professional and neat conversion. I wonder if they had been converted at Philips Purley way or Vision Hire's own workshops?
One of my customers was an elderly gentleman who had worked all his life in Billingsgate fish market. He used to bring me fresh fish at least once a fortnight. I sold him the 23" motor driven Cossor and he absolutely loved it, room aerials and all.. £18.50 with a 12 month guarantee 14 years after it was new.
The grand old guy is no longer with us, the same goes for the house and even the road he lived in. A whole community wiped away. The road together with two others had originally been built for employees of the 'Gas Light and Coke Co.'
Strange how just a TV model number brings all this back as if it was yesterday. RIP Mr David. Very Happy Days! John.
Old 7th May 2017, 6:33 am   #16
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
It definitely had extra panels fitted. The interior was crammed with cable forms but that is about all I can remember I'm afraid. They were astonishingly reliable receivers. A very professional and neat conversion. I wonder if they had been converted at Philips Purley way or Vision Hire's own workshops? John.
Were the 405/625 switch and UHF tuning controls fitted on the side? There doesn't seem to be any room for them at the front.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:47 am   #17
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think they must have been. I remember wondering how they got it all inside. Philips were very good at 'packing'. J.
Old 7th May 2017, 11:57 am   #18
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
It definitely had extra panels fitted. The interior was crammed with cable forms but that is about all I can remember I'm afraid. A very professional and neat conversion. I wonder if they had been converted at Philips Purley way or Vision Hire's own workshops?
John.
I think that, as there was no specific conversion provision in these ex-factory VHF/405 only "Summit" sets, and there is no mention of the conversion details in any Philips documentation that I have/have seen, these conversions must have been done by Philips in their workshops.
Old 7th May 2017, 6:46 pm   #19
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Without doubt. I never saw a converted receiver that had been carried out for a customer. The fact that these were ex Visionhire models points to the fact that they must have been converted by Philips. There were a lot of nasty restrictions on renting in the early 60's. You had to put nine months rental down in advance if you wished to rent a new receiver but just a month if it was over three years old.
It was the same with hire purchase deposits, an early nail in the coffin for the makers and this on top of the 405/625 delays and debacle. This stimulated a large number of 'rebuilds' by the rental companies just to survive. All water under the bridge. John.
Old 7th May 2017, 7:26 pm   #20
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
It was the same with hire purchase deposits, an early nail in the coffin for the makers and this on top of the 405/625 delays and debacle.
The measures you mention plus the forever changing purchase tax rates that I think was 33% in the early 60's. Manufacturers trying to build sets and second guess the financial restrictions must have been a nightmare to to try and keep their heads above water.
No wonder many of the sets makers had financial problems.
Frank
Closed Thread