UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2017, 1:57 am   #1
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Default Marconi 702 transportation

I'm near buying a rare (especially in the US) Marconi 702, complete
and "said to be" working unrestored 10 years ago or so.

I'm as always worried about irreplaceable picture tubes. This thing
will not be shipped but will be transported by me in the back of
my SUV. I will of course support it on foam rubber.

Will it be safe to put it front down and just leave the picture tube in place?
It made it across the pond with the tube in place, but apparently vertical.

Another concern is that its too heavy to get up my stairs intact ..
so I'm just thinking to take it apart and box each piece by itself.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 2:08 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Marconi 702 transportation

There was a similar dilemma some years ago when a set of this provenance was transported to an auction house in London. It was due to be fired up for a pre-sale demo and there was a concern, re the tube, when they lost the picture just prior to sale [reported I think in the BVWS Bulletin]. Fortunately that was the classic "loose connection" but it made a very dramatic story. I'm sure the experts here will be able to advise you further in due course. I've no direct experience in this field myself.

Good luck with your venture anyway,

Dave
Old 7th Mar 2017, 2:28 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Transporting face down risks any bits of debris in the tube damaging the phosphor. Better on its side, with extra support around the tube provided by air bags.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 3:37 am   #4
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

By face down I mean the front of the set lying on the SUV floor.
The face of the picture tube would be vertical, facing the front of the SUV.

Does the tube come out the top like the TRK-12 does or do I have to
remove the metal holder thing to get it out? This could be a last minute
show stopper if its too risky for one person to
take the tube out and back in.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 4:31 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Ah, enlightenment, its a projection TV. A bit before my time.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 4:48 am   #6
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Sam,

The 702 is not a projection set. It's a mirror lid set, so I'm sure the OP will not be transporting the set upside-down as you suggested he might in post #3.

I'm not an owner, but have seen these sets and they are built like tanks and I'm pretty sure are capable of being transported safely as in post #1. Good luck.

Best regards,

Tony
Old 7th Mar 2017, 4:57 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Ok so you knew that, I didn't. I did say not to transport it tube face down though.
Lets all look in the mirror..........
Old 7th Mar 2017, 5:04 am   #8
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Please don't get all offended Sam, I was merely correcting your assumptions.

Tony
Old 7th Mar 2017, 9:21 am   #9
Panrock
Nonode

This set weighs about 13 stone... 182 lb. When I sold mine, the German buyers arrived very well prepared. It was packed between foam panels in an accurately sized case and transported vertically throughout the trip.

During my ownership, when I took it to various exhibitions, I transported it horizontally on a soft surface in the back of my Rover 75 hatchback without any problems resulting. I added some loose bubble packing to support the tube neck.

The tube sits vertically, pressed between the 'funnel' supports (do I recall lined with cork?) and the flexible rubber screen mask. To remove the tube, unhitch the mirror lid stay and support the lid beyond its vertical position. Then undo two screws securing the wood screen front/top panel, and gently tilt and ease this panel up as the rubber mask clears the tube. Disconnect the tube and lift out.

Steve

Last edited by Panrock; 7th Mar 2017 at 9:28 am.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 9:38 am   #10
peter_scott
Dekatron

When I bought my one it was 500 miles away and I transported it horizontally with it lying on a double air bed without removing anything from the cabinet without any problem.

If you have a problem regarding the weight then unfortunately the heaviest part by far is the least accessible, namely the power supply and you have to remove everything else from the cabinet before you can lift the power supply out of the base.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV Bodmin2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	138750  

Last edited by peter_scott; 7th Mar 2017 at 9:51 am.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 4:20 pm   #11
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
If you have a problem regarding the weight then unfortunately the heaviest part by far is the least accessible, namely the power supply and you have to remove everything else from the cabinet before you can lift the power supply out of the base.
That's a bad sign ...do you really mean EVERYTHING including the
tube and all the other chassis? Obviously it has to come out once,
as does everything else, but I suppose after restoration its
unlikely to need removal again.

Doug
Old 7th Mar 2017, 5:09 pm   #12
peter_scott
Dekatron

It's some time since I had to take the power supply out of mine. You certainly need to remove the CRT/Metal cage and the timebase chassis. I think you need to remove the sound chassis too. You might not need to remove the speaker and the RF chassis could remain but the power supply is so heavy that you will find it easier to lift out if you have more space around it. The mains transformer and its metal cover projects through a hole in the cabinet floor so you can't slide the chassis around on the cabinet floor.

I should say that there is not a large number of screws securing the various parts so removal is not a big deal. Lifting out the CRT is the only scary part although that is not difficult either once you have disconnected it and folded back the mirror lid etc as Steve has described. The wooden screen surround should be pushed up from below at the front. The scan coils etc just remain on the CRT neck.

Steve's website has lots of photos of the set in various states of assembly. Take a look through it and its continuation pages. http://www.radiocraft.co.uk/702.htm

Access is very good because the two side panels just push out once you have slackened the long fixing screws that are accessed through holes in the rear wooden frame. (Two screws on each panel.)

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 7th Mar 2017 at 5:26 pm.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 5:21 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The tube needs to come out and be transported in a suitable container, well padded. The base of the tube sits perilously close to the cabinet floor and is basically 'floating in the cabinet cradle. It's just not worth the chance and only takes around 20 minutes to remove at the most. The main receiver could probably take a 'bash' but I doubt if the delicate Pyrex tube would survive after 80 years. Just my thoughts. John.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 6:34 pm   #14
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Another concern is that its too heavy to get up my stairs intact ..
so I'm just thinking to take it apart and box each piece by itself.
Another thought: I know it's not a one man lift but with the side panels removed it becomes a more viable lift for two people as you have more places to get a grip. Going upstairs I would suggest the lead person with hands behind gripping through the side accesses. The second person carrying more of the weight can grab under the bottom skirt or also through the side accesses.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 7th Mar 2017 at 6:39 pm.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:23 pm   #15
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Thanks for all this info ... its been most helpful indeed. Its likely that I will soon own, and a bit later take delivery of, the Marconi 702.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 8:51 pm   #16
Oliver35
Pentode

How exciting! I know I, and probably many others on his forum, would love to own a 702. Really beautiful recievers, I hope you manage to transport it safely and get years of enjoyment from it. I have no technical knowledge to offer, sadly, but best of luck with the move!

Oliver
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:13 pm   #17
dtvmcdonald
Pentode

Is it possible to remove the tube (CRT) socket and test the CRT filament without removing anything from the cabinet? That's only the filament, tested for being intact and not
an open circuit.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 10:57 pm   #18
Oliver35
Pentode

Someone more knowledgeable than I will doubtless chip in, but I seem to remember the early Emiscope tubes had side pin connections, with two sockets, one on either side. There are a couple of websites, Steve's Radiocraft website for one, with some excellent internal photographs of the 702, but you may know about them already.
Old 8th Mar 2017, 11:14 pm   #19
brianc
Rest in Peace

I transported my 702 in the back of my SUV with no problems. Just wrap it carefully and drive steadily avoiding pot holes and the like. Believe me, the pleasure that is afforded when the set is finally placed in position at home, ready for all the attention it is going to get is second to none.
I must admit, I am beginning to like the 702 more than my 703 but it's early days yet - Oh, and while we're on the subject, anyone got a 701 they don't want?
Old 8th Mar 2017, 11:53 pm   #20
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
Is it possible to remove the tube (CRT) socket and test the CRT filament without removing anything from the cabinet? That's only the filament, tested for being intact and not
an open circuit.
Yes, that is relatively easy to do. See: http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/new_page_8.htm

and scroll down. The base view is seen from below so I think the heater connections are the two nearest to you looking in the back at the left hand CRT connector. I think that cold it will read ~0.8 ohms

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 9th Mar 2017 at 12:07 am.
Closed Thread