UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2017, 12:53 pm   #1
Jenka123
Retired Dormant Member

Default Repairing Pioneer PD X550 CD Player

This is part of our ancient Pioneer HiFi system (probably at least 25 years old!). The CD disk spins but does not read. We have tried blowing out the dust and then cleaning the laser with a rubber on the end of a pencil but it still does not work! Is there anything else that we can try or should we be looking at a replacement. If the latter, should we buy second-hand Pioneer or go for something new?
Old 9th Nov 2017, 4:38 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Repairing Pioneer PD X550 CD Player

Hi, from memory a common fault with Pioneer CD players manufactured in the mid 1990's was failure of the spindle motor, although the motor will spin it does not do so fast enough for the disc to be read. This may be the problem with your unit, unfortunately I'm not sure if motors can still be obtained.

Regards

Andrew
Old 9th Nov 2017, 6:18 pm   #3
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Repairing Pioneer PD X550 CD Player

There was another issue with Pioneer units around that time. In fact I repaired mine from some info on a newsgroup called repairfaq.org. Mine had a specific problem. The disc would spin up then stop then spin up again seemingly now too fast. After watching it a few times I noticed the second spin was in reverse. The fault was caused by cracks in the tracks of the white flexi cable between the head assembly and the main board. It must have been reasonably common for the exact problem to have a solution on in what was those days a fairly limited internet.
Closed Thread