UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2017, 12:11 pm   #1
pudwink
Pentode

Default Sony SL-C6UB playing fast

Hi all
trying to get this old betamax running when I play a tape It plays very fast with a black and white picture fast voices like you are pressing fast forward if I press fast forward the picture goes to colour.
any ideas would be very welcome.
Old 21st Apr 2017, 4:21 pm   #2
Nicklyons2
Octode

Default Re: Sony SL-C6UB playing fast

Just make sure the capstan pinch roller is engaging properly and that the take-up spool isn't 'towing' the tape through. However the servo panel on these contains many small electrolytic capacitors (sub 10uF). These caps become hideously out of spec with age. Chances are these are the main culprit; if you have a manual you could try and set up the servo panel without changing them but it will drift off spec again after a few days. I replace the lot with modern non-polarised capacitors, a bit bigger but more stable and it saves more grief long-term.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 6:03 am   #3
Mikey66
Hexode

Default Re: Sony SL-C6UB playing fast

There were a couple of 0.22uf caps on the bottom (servo) board that used to cause this problem.

Take a look here http://www.palsite.com/slc6tech.html

Mike C
Closed Thread